Cable TV Versus Everything Else

Regurgitating from the Sunday Ticket thread, I've had DirecTV for 19 years, primarily for ST.  Last year was the first season since 2000 I didn't get ST...the cost was just too much.  Most years, I've been able to get ST for a reduced price and even, on occasion, free.

I pay $92/month for DTV, with no add-on channels like HBO.  My contract is up in August and unless I can get DTV and ST at a reasonable price, I'm dumping them.  There's just too many options, albeit none with ST.  

I used to say that DTV was a good consumer decision, but since they were bought by AT&T, their customer service has suffered greatly and I've also come to the conclusion that the "deals" that are out there, are reserved for current and future AT&T customers.  I've got Verizon for internet and wireless and it's been stable, I'm not switching there.

Rumor: I've heard that this may be the last year DTV has exclusive rights to ST.  That's a good thing, but I can't see a streaming package being that much cheaper than what DTV charges now.

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

So, got any plans this weekend? It just so happens I’m free if you want to drop by!  ?

Seriously, I used to know people like that, heck I used to BE that guy! But it’s all passed me by now. I’m not sure I could get anything to turn on in my son’s media room. I’d gladly pay for the service but my experience is some geek squad type guy shows up, charging by the hour, and sits down on the floor with the manual with very little resulting other than money changing hands. You know what you’re doing and it took you 8 hours! I will settle for hooking up a stinking sound bar! 

FWIW, I have never seen a more FUBAR'd setup that still had a picture and sound. Everything was wrong, yet "right enough" that there wasn't a blank screen. I doubt you could pay someone to recreate that mess.

It all started from seeing the stretched image on the screen and seeing the red/white/yellow cable in the back (which doesn't support HDTV)... then it snowballed. His previous installer did nothing right. Nothing.

5 minutes ago, SDS said:

FWIW, I have never seen a more FUBAR'd setup that still had a picture and sound. Everything was wrong, yet "right enough" that there wasn't a blank screen. I doubt you could pay someone to recreate that mess.

It all started from seeing the stretched image on the screen and seeing the red/white/yellow cable in the back (which doesn't support HDTV)... then it snowballed. His previous installer did nothing right. Nothing.

....other than getting paid, I suspect.

My son found a guy who helped him set up the media room. I think I’ll try him. He was relatively inexpensive just because he knew what he was doing so it didn’t take too long. Finding someone who’s actually qualified in that field is tricky. I know after failing with a few guys in the past. 

I had directv and loved them until they screwed up an install.  Switched to FIOS and it was great, but it was pretty expensive.  I got into the streaming services and for me, I like PS Vue.  I get the local channels, and pretty much every other channel someone would need like NFL Network, MLB Network, NBA, NHL, all the ESPNs, and then the obvious stuff like HGTV, TBS, TRU, and all the crap my wife likes such as BRAVO, E, Food Network, TLC, etc.  You can DVR an unlimited amount of stuff, stream to any device, and it’s $49.95 per month.  It has gone up from its original price of $34.95 I think it was, but I didn’t care too much since channels were added as well, with my local CBS being one of them at that time.

I see internet mentioned here as well.  I’m $80 a month for FIOS with 100mps download and upload.  I stream flawlessly with 0 buffer or loading.  I don’t really play video games anymore since I’m married with kids, but the times I do play, it’s also flawless with perfect connection.  So I’m all in at $129.95 per month, which is $40 cheaper I think than FIOS internet and TV package.  

So you arent gonna save a ton, but enough to make it worth it.  The $40 I save every month offsets the Sunday Ticket streaming I pay $100 yearly for.  So I’m making out pretty good.  I’m sure there’s cheaper ways of doing things, such as a $35 package with directv now, and having $50 internet, but I prefer to spend a little more and be happy and confident it all works.

Internet: 90

Hulu: 40

Netflix: 15

prime: 7?

All accessed through an AppleTV ($120 one time cost). 

Sports are the only thing I watch live. I might tune in to breaking news on the bi-annual occasion that there is actual “breaking” news. 

At my in-laws vacation house, we have a Roku stick, which is a cheap way to get all the streaming stuff above (without live Hulu channels) and not pay for 2x subscriptions. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

AndroidTV, $29

https://www.amazon.com/YAGALA-T95-S1-cortex-A53-Processor/dp/B07H1FBVPV/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=android+tv&qid=1559297168&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Wireless Keyboard/Mouse $22 (because the remotes suck on AndroidTV boxes)

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Bluetooth-Wireless-Touchpad-Rechargable/dp/B00JO80LVW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2NG8UBD8KYJNG&keywords=bluetooth+keyboard+and+mouse&qid=1559297214&refinements=p_85%3A2470955011&rnid=2470954011&rps=1&s=gateway&sprefix=bluetooth+keyboard+%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3

Firefox.  Tor browser for Android was released a week or so ago but I haven't gotten around to trying it out

Reddit App

Cyberflix App

Mobdro App

Optional Apps

Kodi

SMB or SFTP server (copy files to/from)

You can also control the AndroidTV remotely with a keyboard and mouse from Linux, Windows, or Mac with a program called scrcpy

The answer, as always is - it depends (with the appropriate presumption that you do not steal the signals).   

What do yo watch and how many TV sets do you have set up?   If you watch a lot of different shows, especially on premium channels, then you're almost always better with a cable/DTV provider because you can always negotiate a bundle discount.  If you try to replicate the bundles that you get with cable/DTV with a la carte streaming options, you will pay more.

If all you need is over the air channels on one TV and a base selection of premium channels, then you can get by with streaming.

I think all streaming is now the best option.  You get ala carte for the most part, and the cost is less. The last hold-out at this point is sports and their blackout restrictions.

You have internet (which you likely pay for anyways).

Buy a Fire Stick

Hulu

Netflix

Prime (which most people have)

HBO Go (if you want all HBO content)

Disney Now to be released in the fall if you have kids

Youtube TV.

15 hours ago, Ned Flanders said:

Rumor: I've heard that this may be the last year DTV has exclusive rights to ST.  That's a good thing, but I can't see a streaming package being that much cheaper than what DTV charges now.

I think the model of paying $300-$400 for the package is too high of a price point, and perhaps the next provider and/or NFL can use their imagination and break it up.

Pay per game, per week, per team, whole season, add-ons, etc.

1 hour ago, GG said:

If you watch a lot of different shows, especially on premium channels, then you're almost always better with a cable/DTV provider because you can always negotiate a bundle discount.  If you try to replicate the bundles that you get with cable/DTV with a la carte streaming options, you will pay more.

You'd need to add a lot of premium channels to make that true. If you're just adding HBO and Showtime, you're still saving a lot.

When we cut the cord two years ago, we had no premium channels. We went to Hulu's commercial-free plan and added HBO, and still saved $45/month. 

I know there is always some deal that is better for 6 months but I'm just talking about regular rates. 

The only reason I can see wanting regular cable/DirecTV is if there's one really strange channel that's not available on the Hulu and Hulu-competitors. 

I watch live TV via Hulu (very rarely but maybe the occasional sporting event catches my interest) and get the NFL package through the Sunday Ticket App on my AppleTV. 

Whether Hulu, YoutubeTV, or the others is best, I have no idea. I looked at the channel lineup on Hulu and decided it was the one that made sense for our family. 

Since cutting the cord, I've never had a single moment where I missed anything about cable. Not one. 

1 hour ago, Chef Jim said:

Roku. Not sure where this ranks but we dumped cable 8 plus years ago and don’t miss it. Someone please tell me why would you even pay for cable these days.  

Exactly. Roku is another good choice. All the services are just flavors of ice cream. They all work well. Pick the one that works best for you. 

5 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

You'd need to add a lot of premium channels to make that true. If you're just adding HBO and Showtime, you're still saving a lot.

When we cut the cord two years ago, we had no premium channels. We went to Hulu's commercial-free plan and added HBO, and still saved $45/month. 

I know there is always some deal that is better for 6 months but I'm just talking about regular rates. 

The only reason I can see wanting regular cable/DirecTV is if there's one really strange channel that's not available on the Hulu and Hulu-competitors. 

I watch live TV via Hulu (very rarely but maybe the occasional sporting event catches my interest) and get the NFL package through the Sunday Ticket App on my AppleTV. 

Whether Hulu, YoutubeTV, or the others is best, I have no idea. I looked at the channel lineup on Hulu and decided it was the one that made sense for our family. 

Since cutting the cord, I've never had a single moment where I missed anything about cable. Not one. 

Exactly. Roku is another good choice. All the services are just flavors of ice cream. They all work well. Pick the one that works best for you. 

You probably would have gotten a similar or better deal by calling cable/DTV.  Looking at Hulu Live TV pricing - $45 + premium channels, I don't see the $45/month savings.  HBO is $15/mo and the other premiums and extra channels (Food, etc) and no NFL or NHL networks?  

That's why the answer is ALWAYS - IT DEPENDS on what your viewing preferences are.   Do you inventory add up the true cost of the options and then make a decision.

20 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Does everything else include does ditching it all together?

so you have ZERO screen media action in your life?

cutting cable and going to Netflix is just the same thing, or watching for free off youtube is the same as cable

so what are you doing on the internet then?

i did cut cable and put the TV in storage for a year, and had no internet at home, just read and did useful things when home from work

brought it back out after a year, missed baseball every day for six months of the regular season grind.... 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

During the year away from a screen (TV or computer) I read:

War and Peace

Proust's big deal, however you name it

Most of Dickens

All of Shakepeares plays and sonnets

15 good bios

lots of good fiction as well

That 3 volume Civil War thingy

and lots of other good stuff

IMO, there's no "easy win" with cable if you want to pay less for the same level of service.  I loathe the cable bill. 

You'll likely have to sacrifice or change your viewing preferences or persistently battle customer service for a better rate.  DirecTV gets you with that low introductory offer but before you know it, you're paying what you used to pay for cable.  

I pay $182 per month for a combined cable/internet package from a Comcast competitor.  300 channels, Internet speed is 100Mbps download with a DVR.   The package itself costs $139 but the taxes and fees take on another $40.  The fees is where the increase has occurred for me - especially the broadcasting fees passed down to the consumer.  

I've tried to beat the pricing by keeping the internet service and adding streaming services.  However, due to stubborn viewing preferences, Hulu alone doesn't cut it.  You need Netflilx AND Hulu.  I get very close to what I'm paying with more effort on my end so I've kept cable.  

10 minutes ago, dpberr said:

IMO, there's no "easy win" with cable if you want to pay less for the same level of service.  I loathe the cable bill. 

You'll likely have to sacrifice or change your viewing preferences or persistently battle customer service for a better rate.  DirecTV gets you with that low introductory offer but before you know it, you're paying what you used to pay for cable.  

I pay $182 per month for a combined cable/internet package from a Comcast competitor.  300 channels, Internet speed is 100Mbps download with a DVR.   The package itself costs $139 but the taxes and fees take on another $40.  The fees is where the increase has occurred for me - especially the broadcasting fees passed down to the consumer.  

I've tried to beat the pricing by keeping the internet service and adding streaming services.  However, due to stubborn viewing preferences, Hulu alone doesn't cut it.  You need Netflilx AND Hulu.  I get very close to what I'm paying with more effort on my end so I've kept cable.  

That's where I was (to GG's point).

I was at $182 for cable (with no HBO) with Internet plus $15/month TiVO=$197. 

Now I have:

Internet (High-speed): $90

Hulu: $45

HBO: $15 (<--did not have this before I cut cable)

Total: $150

I had Netflix before and after I cut the cable so that nets $0.

Your mileage may vary. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

I'm at the end of my latest two year deal with Directv.  I hear that they don't bend quite as much as they used to with that routine negotiation game.  Has anyone had that experience recently?  I did just recently switch my internet provider, so I can definitely use the threat of switching to them for cable as well.

21 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hubby's trying to get me to cut the cord. I find all the ala carte selections (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc) to be a tad confusing. I don't watch enough TV to want to think about my choices. ?

(We have Fios)

it is quite easy..depending where you live and if you want Sunday Ticket.. more than happy to help and provide my experience. 

21 hours ago, KD in CA said:

The usual, "oh easy, just Sling-Roko and add streaming This, Than and the Other via Broadband That I've Never Heard Of......" answers never do much for me!

Guess I'm getting old....will wait till my kids are teenagers and can figure it out.

By the time you do all the other stuff for TV, you still need to have internet and if you want a landline how much cheaper can it really all be?  I'd pay $1000 for someone to not only provide an answer but come in and set it all up.

I am in!!! Nest time i in the Bay Area!

18 hours ago, Augie said:

So, got any plans this weekend? It just so happens I’m free if you want to drop by!  ?

Seriously, I used to know people like that, heck I used to BE that guy! But it’s all passed me by now. I’m not sure I could get anything to turn on in my son’s media room. I’d gladly pay for the service but my experience is some geek squad type guy shows up, charging by the hour, and sits down on the floor with the manual with very little resulting other than money changing hands. You know what you’re doing and it took you 8 hours! I will settle for hooking up a stinking sound bar! 

Oh brother, i know ya getting ancient, but not this old already????? I will come to the ATL and hook ya up! I have a feeling my set up in Hammers lot is more sophisticated and has more options that your family room TV!!!! Added a tripod stand  this year!!!!!upgrading TV to 55 inch as well, screw that 42 inch shrimp TV

30 minutes ago, shrader said:

I'm at the end of my latest two year deal with Directv.  I hear that they don't bend quite as much as they used to with that routine negotiation game.  Has anyone had that experience recently?  I did just recently switch my internet provider, so I can definitely use the threat of switching to them for cable as well.

Key in negotiations with them is to bring up streaming and cost of equipment, not cost of content. Look at your bill, you may have $30-$70 on there just for receivers, DVRs, protection plans etc. All that crap goes away with streaming, but not cable...that is their Achilles heel , they know, and bend on it. And yes Sling has an online DVR that works great.

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1

Uverse!!!!! For just $130 per month, our Uverse 300 package provides a wide range of infomercials and other paid programming! And when they cancelled the NFLN 2 weeks before the draft was just a smart move on their part.

Seriously, those type of shows probably cover half of their channels now.

Idk, we have a Roku TV, its OK, but there are probably a ton of apps I haven't added. Netflix is cheap.

My oldest keeps telling us to get Youtube TV. Its $49 per month and looks like it has a decent channel selection. In terms of real channels, it probably provides as many as we're getting now.