Cable TV Versus Everything Else

48 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Key in negotiations with them is to bring up streaming and cost of equipment, not cost of content. Look at your bill, you may have $30-$70 on there just for receivers, DVRs, protection plans etc. All that crap goes away with streaming, but not cable...that is their Achilles heel , they know, and bend on it. And yes Sling has an online DVR that works great.

Ha, they have apparently switched to the car dealership method of negotiation now.  The woman I talked to said she has to talk to her manager and will call me back with what they can offer.  Apparently I've got a bit more time left on the contract than I thought, so I can sit back and watch this play out a bit.  It should be fun to see just how close they stick to that car dealer method where the first offer is pure garbage.

3 minutes ago, CookieG said:

My oldest keeps telling us to get Youtube TV. Its $49 per month and looks like it has a decent channel selection. In terms of real channels, it probably provides as many as we're getting now.

I've heard from a few people going that route recently.  I'm not sure how it has worked out for them so far.

1 hour ago, shrader said:

I'm at the end of my latest two year deal with Directv.  I hear that they don't bend quite as much as they used to with that routine negotiation game.  Has anyone had that experience recently?  I did just recently switch my internet provider, so I can definitely use the threat of switching to them for cable as well.

True.

Ever since the at&t merger/monopoly

I called to try the typical game and was completely stonewalled with $10 off my bill that just went up by $60 after my promotions.  I went further to cancel and they were happy to do that.  

11 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

True.

Ever since the at&t merger/monopoly

I called to try the typical game and was completely stonewalled with $10 off my bill that just went up by $60 after my promotions.  I went further to cancel and they were happy to do that.  

Mine actually turned out ok.  I'm already in that period without any promotions, so there was no price increase coming.  They offered me a credit of $64 per month for 12 months, without a new contract.  So that means I can just go through this whole process again in a year when the price jumps back up to their normal rate.

4 hours ago, shrader said:

I'm at the end of my latest two year deal with Directv.  I hear that they don't bend quite as much as they used to with that routine negotiation game.  Has anyone had that experience recently?  I did just recently switch my internet provider, so I can definitely use the threat of switching to them for cable as well.

See my post earlier...the AT&T takeover has certainly affected "deals" and again, I've found that if you're an AT&T wireless customer or are willing to switch, they're more apt to play ball with you.

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Key in negotiations with them is to bring up streaming and cost of equipment, not cost of content. Look at your bill, you may have $30-$70 on there just for receivers, DVRs, protection plans etc. All that crap goes away with streaming, but not cable...that is their Achilles heel , they know, and bend on it. And yes Sling has an online DVR that works great.

Good advice.  I've always used the competition in talking to them, i.e. Cox and FIOS both available in my area...streaming services add another arrow to the quiver.

5 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

That's where I was (to GG's point).

I was at $182 for cable (with no HBO) with Internet plus $15/month TiVO=$197. 

Now I have:

Internet (High-speed): $90

Hulu: $45

HBO: $15 (<--did not have this before I cut cable)

Total: $150

I had Netflix before and after I cut the cable so that nets $0.

Your mileage may vary. 

Look not to sneeze at saving roughly $50 per month but this hardly seems like the “great deal” that cable cutters want you to believe that it is.  I am about to move again and vowed that I will cut the cable in doing so.  However, my concern remains that internet speeds gets bogged down when every household is trying to stream.  I know this happens with internet through coax (cable) and experience every Friday night when neighbors are trying to stream just like me.  I assume FIOS is better but service not available where I am at.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Look not to sneeze at saving roughly $50 per month but this hardly seems like the “great deal” that cable cutters want you to believe that it is.  I am about to move again and vowed that I will cut the cable in doing so.  However, my concern remains that internet speeds gets bogged down when every household is trying to stream.  I know this happens with internet through coax (cable) and experience every Friday night when neighbors are trying to stream just like me.  I assume FIOS is better but service not available where I am at.

Never had that issue and I live in an area with lots of neighbors all on Comcast. I understand it but never saw it. 

It’s not a huge savings for some, but it’s also shown me that I really don’t even need Hulu. Probably axe that soon. Live TV is yesterday’s yesterday at this point. If not for the occasional sporting event, I can’t think of a thing to justify it. 

YouTubeTV is the way to go for live TV. 

The biggest problem is that the cable company here also has a virtual monopoly on internet access. So as more and more customers cut the cord, they just jack up the access fee. We're paying like a hundred bucks for IA! It still works out better for us, but it's a racket. Hopefully, Verizon comes to Vegas to at least create some competition. Century Link is trash so that's not an option.

On 5/30/2019 at 11:25 AM, Buffalo_Gal said:

Hubby's trying to get me to cut the cord. I find all the ala carte selections (Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, etc) to be a tad confusing. I don't watch enough TV to want to think about my choices. ?

(We have Fios)

In Vegas? I've been hoodwinked. 

Direct TV and hulu live blackout nationally televised NBA games right now. The first game of the finals wasn't available. I know that's not big to everyone, but I pretty much watch HQ, PTI, the news and sports. Everything else is on subscriptions. 

I think it's getting close but not there yet. I think within 10 years I can get a reasonably priced package from all the sports I watch the cut everything else. I'm not at the point of getting rid of cable yet, but I get why anyone would.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:44 PM, SDS said:

Peripherally related.

Mind if I someday use that term should a perfect chance to do so to impress comes up.

On 5/30/2019 at 3:44 PM, SDS said:

Long story short.... 8 hours later, including multiple trips to various stores

Have done the same with big box electric and home improvement stores the last two decades.

Low level "expertises" pitching wisdom and advice on things they know little of at these places.

The thing that makes streaming advantageous over cable and satellite subscriptions is how easy it is to cancel and reactivate. Cable and satellite would likely charge you installation fees, or sometimes early cancellation fees. I signed up for sling tv long enough just to watch the NCAA basketball tournament and NHL Playoffs. It is now off, since the Stanley cup finals are on Ch 2. Almost every single streaming service has free trials, that are super easy to cancel if you don't like it.

Had a very unwelcome surprise this weekend when I found out my DTV contract is actually up August 2020, not this year as I originally thought.  I would have never have approved a two year contract verbally, I'm thinking the only thing that could have triggered the extra year was the Genie upgrade.

I decided to hold off further discussions with DTV until August when my $60/month discount is nearly over.  I was quite perturbed with the CSR and let them know that I was not aware I had agreed to a two year contract.  Near the end of the call, I asked what the price of ST will be this year...she had no clue, tried for almost three minutes to find the answer, and I thanked her and ended the call.

About an hour after the call, a DTV "supervisor" called the house but I was out...he left a message that he was told I was very unhappy during the call earlier.  Again, I won't call back now, but will in about six weeks.

DTV has gone to the dogs.  What was once a good, reputable business has fallen into the corporate trap of poor customer service and an over-priced product.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Had a very unwelcome surprise this weekend when I found out my DTV contract is actually up August 2020, not this year as I originally thought.  I would have never have approved a two year contract verbally, I'm thinking the only thing that could have triggered the extra year was the Genie upgrade.

I decided to hold off further discussions with DTV until August when my $60/month discount is nearly over.  I was quite perturbed with the CSR and let them know that I was not aware I had agreed to a two year contract.  Near the end of the call, I asked what the price of ST will be this year...she had no clue, tried for almost three minutes to find the answer, and I thanked her and ended the call.

About an hour after the call, a DTV "supervisor" called the house but I was out...he left a message that he was told I was very unhappy during the call earlier.  Again, I won't call back now, but will in about six weeks.

DTV has gone to the dogs.  What was once a good, reputable business has fallen into the corporate trap of poor customer service and an over-priced product.

They sure do make it easy to sign up for more, and darn near impossible to talk to a human or make any progress if you are looking for less. Frustrating! 

• Like (+1) 2

A Roku tv and Sling and local channels works here, $28 a month. ... already have the net due to her work.

Only problem is that once a year I have to add the other Sling package on so we have, or should I say, she has MNF.  So, Sling Blue and Sling Orange combined for just part of the year... what, $45 a month or so. 

***** Directv... I can get what I want for free which is mainly live Bills or Sabres games. 

We have more TV than we can or care to watch for that... ***** Directv, had them for 17 years up until a couple of years ago. Sling is pretty damn good and easy to use.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dhg said:

Can't watch Sabres games in Buffalo market unless you have DTV, Spectrum or Fios. Only thing holding us back from cutting cord entirely.

Fubu TV will have the Local MSG feeds for Sabres games. That's about $55 a month. You will need to gauge for yourself, if that is cheaper than your current TV subscription or not.

12 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

Fubu TV will have the Local MSG feeds for Sabres games. That's about $55 a month. You will need to gauge for yourself, if that is cheaper than your current TV subscription or not.

Thanks for that info Wagon. Not blacked out in WNY? Will check it out.

16 hours ago, Augie said:

They sure do make it easy to sign up for more, and darn near impossible to talk to a human or make any progress if you are looking for less. Frustrating! 

And their website is complete garbage.  You'd think that the contract length would be fairly easy to find, but I can't find mine listed anywhere on there or in a bill.

26 minutes ago, dhg said:

Thanks for that info Wagon. Not blacked out in WNY? Will check it out.

I never had it myself, I'm waiting for the Sabres to actually be good beyond the first 2 months of the season....  A friend of mine had it, and I don't think he is smart enough to figure out how to use VPN's. So it should be ok. Something to check out next October!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, shrader said:

And their website is complete garbage.  You'd think that the contract length would be fairly easy to find, but I can't find mine listed anywhere on there or in a bill.

It's a sorry state of affairs...I use to rave about DTV, being one of my best consumer decisions ever; now they're just Comcast with a dish on my roof.

16 hours ago, dhg said:

Can't watch Sabres games in Buffalo market unless you have DTV, Spectrum or Fios. Only thing holding us back from cutting cord entirely.

There is a website/app that I have used for the past 2 seasons that streams flawlessly HD games and I can cast it to my TV.  It works on android, unsure about stupid apple products.  Caststreams.net.  It is free, but after the 1st few weeks of the season, if you donate $20 you get both feeds in HD.  

I am a directv customer who was stonewalled by AT&T reps and planned on cutting the cord following game of thrones.  I am previewing Hulu Premium this week, and will preview Youtube TV next week.  

I also subscribe to Prime and Netflix.  Also plan on getting the Disney App.

So far, Hulu has been very impressive.  Lots of content, I still get my sports time Ohio which means almost all Indians games.  Was able to watch Stanley Cup FInals.  Live TV, like Local News.  Only negatives so far are:  Live TV wont work on the Playstation 4, which is my streaming vehicle in my home theater/basement (have 4 firesticks throughout the house/patio TV).  Also, I think the NBA Finals games aren't carried on Hulu.  When things are blacked out for one thing over another its annoying.  Im not a big NBA fan, but what if its the World Series and the Indians are in it, or the Sabres STF, NFL games, etc.

I really like Hulu.  It will take getting used to a streaming only system... and breaking myself from bringing up and surfing a channel guide.... but once I do, this medium will be far superior to cable and satellite television.