Cable TV Versus Everything Else

28 minutes ago, shrader said:

Do you really even need that tree?  Can't you just tell them that's the case and they'll give you the streaming version?  I didn't think they'd actually check on any of these claims.  But then again, if it's a house that previously had DirecTV, that might kill that option.

They came out twice with technicians before giving me the bypass Ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/30/2019 at 3:01 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

In my area and HIGH speed.   Its the norm.  I switched from Verizon Broadband (slow) to Comcast (fast) for the same price. 

4 gig download  15 minutes MAX 

That includes Land Line (phone) and International calling for 90 minutes per month 

basic internet alone around $50 (includes taxes) 

Still have the human trafficing gig for some extra spending money?

Edited by Cripple Creek

On 7/24/2019 at 5:20 PM, Misterbluesky said:

We are still without CBS and CW  here in B-low.

DTV Now.  I have had NFLN removed plus CBS/NBC are blocked due to a "dispute" between the networks and AT&T.  I don't know what's next, but my time with DTV Now is coming to an end.

Looking at Sling and Comcast Streaming.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

About 3 weeks in, between Hulu Live, Prime, and Netflix, I havent missed a thing.  I have actually watched more television (with Directv I was watching almost nothing).  

It's also not sports season. 

Sports is what keeps me tied to these companies.  Tough to find good alternatives for NHL, NBA, College BB, College FB, NFL and soccer.  There is no easy alternative with streaming that isn't more than the traditional cable/satellite companies.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Sports is what keeps me tied to these companies.  Tough to find good alternatives for NHL, NBA, College BB, College FB, NFL and soccer.  There is no easy alternative with streaming that isn't more than the traditional cable/satellite companies.

I get the Indians games on Hulu Live.

I have a way to get the Sabres games.

Most of what I want should be available on Hulu Live

Its almost where I am angry and dont care about sports enough to pay upwards of $200 a month for the ability to watch.... which I find myself doing less and less.  If the sports leagues want to collude with the telecom companies so they can continue to enjoy their government-sanctioned monopolies and racketeering.... then I could do without the sports leagues.  

If Im going to miss a Bills game that is on NFL Network 1x, it isnt worth $X,XXX in cable bills for the year.  

Edited by May Day 10

6 hours ago, Cripple Creek said:

DTV Now.  I have had NFLN removed plus CBS/NBC are blocked due to a "dispute" between the networks and AT&T.  I don't know what's next, but my time with DTV Now is coming to an end.

I will have to get a antenna box because DTV will charge my CC over 200 bucks (May contract) and Sling and Hulu don't show Mets games..

Bottom line..you,me and mega other folks are paying for the networks like CBS/NBC and they are blacked out...not sure about you but my bill didn't drop in price.

It's a crooked operation now since AT&T took over and when you shop around..I feel like I'm giving to Peter while taking from Paul.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I get the Indians games on Hulu Live.

I have a way to get the Sabres games.

Most of what I want should be available on Hulu Live

Its almost where I am angry and dont care about sports enough to pay upwards of $200 a month for the ability to watch.... which I find myself doing less and less.  If the sports leagues want to collude with the telecom companies so they can continue to enjoy their government-sanctioned monopolies and racketeering.... then I could do without the sports leagues.  

If Im going to miss a Bills game that is on NFL Network 1x, it isnt worth $X,XXX in cable bills for the year.  

I feel you, but I also think you are being aggressive on the price.  I never paid more than 100 dollars a month for just TV.  Finding games on the internet for free is becoming hard and is just full of viruses that cause more aggravation than the cable company.

One night out to watch some games becomes expensive too.

I enjoy sports so paying the 1200 a year, I can justify.  If you don't care about sports, I can see why people go to other services.  Streaming has never worked like it should for me, even when I'm streaming from the cable company.  Always some issue.

I know very little about this new trend of "Unplugging" and watching TV on a computer.

I still have cable and about 10 million channels on it; I think we pay like $120 a month including internet.

Here is my point: I am a big time general sports fan.  I am interesting in almost everything that might be on TV at any point in the calendar year.  And different live sporting events are broadcast on a huge array of TV channels.

I don't know how only have a handful of channels would allow a sports fan to watch sporting events live.

I want to see college football on any channel a game may be broadcast on; all the big bowl games; all MLB playoff games for sure and as many Red Sox games I can see; F1 racing on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, and ESPN U, tons of different European soccer stuff, on and on.

At any point in time, I am scouring the channels or internet trying to figure what obscure channel the sporting event I want to watch is located on.  I couldn't imagine going to an internet based TV approach where I have a handful of channels.

I think that works for the non-sport fan.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I know very little about this new trend of "Unplugging" and watching TV on a computer.

I still have cable and about 10 million channels on it; I think we pay like $120 a month including internet.

Here is my point: I am a big time general sports fan.  I am interesting in almost everything that might be on TV at any point in the calendar year.  And different live sporting events are broadcast on a huge array of TV channels.

I don't know how only have a handful of channels would allow a sports fan to watch sporting events live.

I want to see college football on any channel a game may be broadcast on; all the big bowl games; all MLB playoff games for sure and as many Red Sox games I can see; F1 racing on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN News, and ESPN U, tons of different European soccer stuff, on and on.

At any point in time, I am scouring the channels or internet trying to figure what obscure channel the sporting event I want to watch is located on.  I couldn't imagine going to an internet based TV approach where I have a handful of channels.

I think that works for the non-sport fan.

I unplugged a while ago and watch TV on Hulu. The only channel I don’t get that is related to sports is the NFL Network. And if I had a different streaming service, I’d have that too. 

$45/month. 

And I don’t watch on my computer (though I can if I want to). I watch on my TV. 

If you like your cable, that’s great, but there isn’t an appreciable difference between plugged and unplugged anymore except that one costs less. 

3 hours ago, BeginnersMind said:

I unplugged a while ago and watch TV on Hulu. The only channel I don’t get that is related to sports is the NFL Network. And if I had a different streaming service, I’d have that too. 

$45/month. 

And I don’t watch on my computer (though I can if I want to). I watch on my TV. 

If you like your cable, that’s great, but there isn’t an appreciable difference between plugged and unplugged anymore except that one costs less. 

I don’t consider a thing like Hulu live as getting rid of cable or satellite TV. I would put it in the same category as Cable or Satellite. 

When people say unplugging or cutting the cord, I think of antenna TV and bootleg streams/cheap streaming service like Netflix. 

On 7/27/2019 at 4:51 PM, Ittakestime said:

I don’t consider a thing like Hulu live as getting rid of cable or satellite TV. I would put it in the same category as Cable or Satellite. 

When people say unplugging or cutting the cord, I think of antenna TV and bootleg streams/cheap streaming service like Netflix. 

It is similar, but also different.  

I could turn the service off or on at any moment with a few clicks from a smartphone.  With Directv, I wanted to put my account on hold for a couple months (which their website says you can) and I got into a fight and 15 minutes struggle with the CS rep who didnt speak very well because they wanted me to tell them "why" I am putting it on hold.  I said it wasnt any of their business and it concluded with me cancelling.  Directv also has the service agreement terms people can get jammed up in.

With Hulu, I am not paying any sort of peripheral charges, rent on receivers, billing fees, technology fees, etc.  

It is also where everything is going and will be within 5 years.  Home cable boxes are going to be the next VCR.

You said my Directv bill at $200 was aggressive.  It was $190.  We had 2 boxes, apparently a service protection plan on those.  Home DVR, and a middle-high package.  We had the movie channels for free, then they started billing at a high price and I couldnt get the deal again.  I kept them due to Game of Thrones, then Chernobyl.  The way the packages are designed, for the NHL, they have NHL Network, MSG, and NBC Sports on different tiers, so in order to truly get all the games, you need to have an upgraded package with a hundred additional channels you have no interest in.  I am sick and tired of that game they play.

For the NHL, I do not stream on a computer, playing whack a mole with feeds.  I found an app that works on my smartphone.  It is full HD and I can cast it to my TV.  100% dependable.  

Edited by May Day 10

On 7/26/2019 at 1:43 PM, Ittakestime said:

This is my issue as well. I tried, but could not find a streaming service that allowed me to have Sabres games on MSG and NFL Red Zone. Sure, I could go with multiple companies, or go with NHL Center Ice package and a VPN. But those aren’t really the solution I am looking for. 

35 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

It is also where everything is going and will be within 5 years.  Home cable boxes are going to be the next VCR.

Even DirecTV agrees with you.  They launched a satellite a year or two and some AT&T big wheel said that it was likely the last satellite DTV would ever launch.

Cable companies that are also Internet Service Providers (such as Spectrum and Cox) have started their own streaming services for customers like me that have Internet but not a cable subscription

The "last mile" of service is what costs cable and satellite providers the most.   The cost of labor, parts, vehicles, and fuel adds up fast.  Cable/Satellite providers can eliminate the "last mile" of service by delivering their content over the Internet. 

The customer provides the delivery thru a third party (Internet) and the customer provides all of the necessary equipment (Roku, Firestick, etc).

57 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

We had the movie channels for free, then they started billing at a high price and I couldnt get the deal again.  I kept them due to Game of Thrones, then Chernobyl.  The way the packages are designed, for the NHL, they have NHL Network, MSG, and NBC Sports on different tiers, so in order to truly get all the games, you need to have an upgraded package with a hundred additional channels you have no interest in.  I am sick and tired of that game they play.

Enjoy the days of cheap streaming services while you can.  It will soon go the way of the VCR as well

All the big media production companies are getting into the streaming business and in the process have been pulling their content from Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Vue, etc.  Eventually we are going to need accounts for each.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/26/2019 at 6:35 AM, Cripple Creek said:

We still have a few days of Uverse left. We're going to try Playstation Vue, it seems to have the best channel lineup. We'll probably give Youtube Tv a try also.

Its going to be $80 less per month plus we get the 2 local channels back that ATT won't pay for and the NFLN back.

The ATT sponsored "support forums" are hilarious.  They just blame everyone else and tell their subscribers to suck it up.

It actually reminds me of when we dumped AOL for DSL in the 90's. When cancelling, AOL was asking "why are you leaving?" 

I could only respond, "idk, because service is 5 times faster, doesn't tie up your phone and is less than half the price."

Ah, the memories.

On 7/29/2019 at 10:27 AM, /dev/null said:

Enjoy the days of cheap streaming services while you can.  It will soon go the way of the VCR as well

All the big media production companies are getting into the streaming business and in the process have been pulling their content from Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Vue, etc.  Eventually we are going to need accounts for each.

Yes and no. I don’t need more than 2 decent content providers. 

Sure I’m curious about the CBS Star Trek series and Twilight Zone reboot but whatever. I get enough content elsewhere. Netflix and Prime Original content is about all I have time for. 

Eventually CBS will sell access to just their shows (to get money later) and I can buy just them. The days of urgently knowing what is happening on any show are over. TV shows are now like books. You can talk to people who have seen them and recommend them to people who haven’t. 

Occasionally there may be a huge breakthrough show like GoT where people will obsess over live or near live viewing but mostly no one cares about that anymore. 

The splintering of content is fine with me as long as it remains easy to switch. If providers go to a true ala carte model, that will be interesting.