Cable TV Versus Everything Else

9 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I really like Hulu.  It will take getting used to a streaming only system... and breaking myself from bringing up and surfing a channel guide.... but once I do, this medium will be far superior to cable and satellite television.

Keep us posted know how the live  Hulu works out.  I'm probably going to pick it up in late August when College Football season starts

4 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Keep us posted know how the live  Hulu works out.  I'm probably going to pick it up in late August when College Football season starts

I have used it for anything live for a couple of years. Never a problem. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

does anyone have Directv Now?  

If so, and you are local, do you get MSG, thus allowing you to view Sabres games?  The site isnt exactly clear on that...  And also if it would be included on the $50 tier or the $70 tier.

I would call in, but the reps always have less than no clue about anything to do with sports-viewing and regions, blackouts and such

• 1 month later...

I tried to put my Directv account on hold for a couple months (which their website says is completely fine).  The rep insisted I provide a reason and I told her its none of her business.  So she wouldnt put it on hold so I told her to cancel the account.  She cancelled with zero resistance.  AT&T is awful.

So I went with Hulu Premium, Netflix, and Prime.

I just got an email from Directv offering me a $3 amazon gift card for filling out a survey.  I hate surveys in general, so the offer of a massive $3 won't convince me to fill one out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I tried to put my Directv account on hold for a couple months (which their website says is completely fine).  The rep insisted I provide a reason and I told her its none of her business.  So she wouldnt put it on hold so I told her to cancel the account.  She cancelled with zero resistance.  AT&T is awful.

So I went with Hulu Premium, Netflix, and Prime.

Let us know if AT&T reaches out to you in the coming days asking you to come back and to what, if any promos they offer.

I am cancelling next month when my $60/month credit expires...curious as to why Hulu Premium over YouTube TV, which I'm looking at.  I also have Netflix and Prime.

9 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

Let us know if AT&T reaches out to you in the coming days asking you to come back and to what, if any promos they offer.

I am cancelling next month when my $60/month credit expires...curious as to why Hulu Premium over YouTube TV, which I'm looking at.  I also have Netflix and Prime.

the cheap B words only gave me $30 / mo off for 12 mo's after my  $60 / mo off for 12 mo's deal ran out 

31 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

We'll see.  I already got the return-equipment instructions and the stuff will be shipped back tomorrow.  

I chose Hulu, primarily because it is available on Amazon fire Sticks.  Youtube TV isnt.  I currently have 5 televisions equipped with Fire Sticks and I did not want to change everything over.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

We'll see.  I already got the return-equipment instructions and the stuff will be shipped back tomorrow.  

I chose Hulu, primarily because it is available on Amazon fire Sticks.  Youtube TV isnt.  I currently have 5 televisions equipped with Fire Sticks and I did not want to change everything over.

That's weird... they told me to dispose of the equipment responsibly and sent me a custom envelope to send the card back to them.

45 minutes ago, Ned Flanders said:

mmhmm... we're cutting the cord on Uverse at the end of the month. ATT has become brutal. Its almost as if they are deliberately driving people away.  When they refused to pay for 2 of our local networks (NBC and Fox), it was pretty much the last straw. 

They've become a leviathan that acts like a third rate basement operation. Of course, when I've said that on their "uverse community" site, I got a warning...lol.

One little 3rd world trick is in billing.

We still pay a few of our bills via paper check and snail mail. With most, it has been fine.

But with ATT, it has become a farce. The statement arrives usually on the 17th via mail, on the 16th via email. But the "statement date" is the 4th. The due date is the 26th. And when the check is mailed to their PO Box in Indiana, it takes forever to cash. Other bills mailed on the same day, both in state and out of state are invariably cashed first.

With ATT, you have to mail the payment, literally on the same day, to have them cash it before the due date. If not, they add on another $10.00 to a late fee.

We're going to try Youtube TV and see how it goes. 70 channels for $50.00. We'll get back the NFLN and local stations that way. That's about a third of what we're paying ATT.

19 minutes ago, T&C said:

That's weird... they told me to dispose of the equipment responsibly and sent me a custom envelope to send the card back to them.

They told us they were going to mail us a envelope for the cards,and a box for the converters..then we take the box and envelope to a UPS store.

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

They told us they were going to mail us a envelope for the cards,and a box for the converters..then we take the box and envelope to a UPS store.

They told me to grab the boxes and take them to a fedex location with my account # and just hand it over and they do the rest.

Only reason I can think of as to why they told me to dispose of my box and have you guys send your's back is that maybe my box had become outdated or something.

3 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

They told me to grab the boxes and take them to a fedex location with my account # and just hand it over and they do the rest.

MD10...it sounds like they change their policies often.We still have them because  they knocked $55 off our monthly bill (6 month deal)...but they jacked up other prices such as regional sports network pack,the box fees and the general price for the level of programming.The 55 off a month is more like $40.

Anyway..Spectrum wanted much more..tv,net,phone $139 plus taxes for one year.

P.S.-I have vonage..19 bucks a month unlimited and free long distance.

On 6/4/2019 at 11:47 AM, May Day 10 said:

There is a website/app that I have used for the past 2 seasons that streams flawlessly HD games and I can cast it to my TV.  It works on android, unsure about stupid apple products.  Caststreams.net.  It is free, but after the 1st few weeks of the season, if you donate $20 you get both feeds in HD.  

I am a directv customer who was stonewalled by AT&T reps and planned on cutting the cord following game of thrones.  I am previewing Hulu Premium this week, and will preview Youtube TV next week.  

I also subscribe to Prime and Netflix.  Also plan on getting the Disney App.

So far, Hulu has been very impressive.  Lots of content, I still get my sports time Ohio which means almost all Indians games.  Was able to watch Stanley Cup FInals.  Live TV, like Local News.  Only negatives so far are:  Live TV wont work on the Playstation 4, which is my streaming vehicle in my home theater/basement (have 4 firesticks throughout the house/patio TV).  Also, I think the NBA Finals games aren't carried on Hulu.  When things are blacked out for one thing over another its annoying.  Im not a big NBA fan, but what if its the World Series and the Indians are in it, or the Sabres STF, NFL games, etc.

I really like Hulu.  It will take getting used to a streaming only system... and breaking myself from bringing up and surfing a channel guide.... but once I do, this medium will be far superior to cable and satellite television.

Here's what I want to watch (in Maryland):  Bills games, Sabres games, Indian games?  Will HULU get me there?  I'll check it out in the meantime.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I see.  I have a Samsung TV that supports YouTube TV and YTTV also carries our local ABC station where Hulu does not.  However, History station is not on YTTV but on Hulu...tough choice but the local ABC won out.

4 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

Out of curiosity, did you try Youtube TV in Silk?  Dunno if it will work but might be worth a try and reporting back

7 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Here's what I want to watch (in Maryland):  Bills games, Sabres games, Indian games?  Will HULU get me there?  I'll check it out in the meantime.  Thanks.

I get Sabres via the nhl package. So that’s easy. Use the app to my AppleTV. 

Bills come through streaming Sunday Ticket on my AppleTV. I can get this because my house is ineligible for a DirecTV dish. 

I don’t know how baseball works. 

I use Hulu but it doesn’t get you the above. Have to order them ala carte. 

Here's a tip if you truly want to cancel DTV. Tell them you are moving to (insert European country). There's nothing they can do once you tell them that. Otherwise they will keep you on the phone until you are completely angry at them.

They sent me boxes for which to places the hardware in to send back.

I now have an antenna with a tablo DVR. Awesome device let's anyone on your wifi watch and record shows received over the antenna.

I pay for Netflix, NHL TV, and the Sunday Ticket. I was paying for these when I had DTV, so now I'm saving a lot of money!