Buffalo Sabres and NHL: 2019/20: Sabres season officially over. Draft lottery June 26th

BillsFan4

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1861471/in-krueger-they-trust-have-the-white-hot-sabres-finally-turned-the-corner

In Krueger they trust: Have the white-hot Sabres finally turned the corner?

It’s a really good article. 

As for this part above, I sure hope he’s right! If the Sabres fan keep playing the way they’ve been on most nights and keep banking points even on some of their off nights, they have a chance at making it as a wildcard team. 

But my fear is that eventually their lack of forward depth catches up with them.

Even if they just miss the playoffs it would be a vast improvement though. 

I felt before the season started that with the additions and internal improvement this team was capable of being a fringe wild-card contending team. When I use the term fringe I'm using it to mean as contending for the last couple of playoff spots. I still feel that way except I am more confident of my position. 

You point out that this team lacks forward depth. That's true but that is the reason why the Sabres will be competing for a wild-card spot with other teams that have specific deficiencies. What we do have is depth on the blue line, a unit that many other teams lack. I previously strenuously argued to trade Risto for forward help. Not now. I have changed my position because he and McCabe make up a physical pairing that is otherwise lacking with the other pairings. 

The GM has a roster full of players on the last year of their contracts. So I believe that next year this team will be in an advantageous situation to add more talent. I believe in the building process and I'm not willing to mortgage the near future for a short term gain. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, stony said:

My worries, too.  I know it's been beaten to death, but hopefully the D surplus helps Botts solve that problem. 

Unless Risto or McCabe is dealt I don't see where dealing a Scandella or Miller is going to give you much in return. I just don't see Risto being dealt. Also, Dahlin, Joki and Montour are unlikely to be dealt. So whatever surplus we have is not going to have a high enough value to get back a top two line forward. 

The below link is a Paul Hamilton column for WGR. He points out that Vesey is close to being ready to play. If Vesey and Olafsson can give some average scoring on 5X5 it would help to balance out the scoring. I thought before Vesey got hurt that he was steadily playing better while Olafsson seemed to be fading when playing  eveatn strength. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-vesey-getting-close-early-return

Paul Hamilton for WGR writes a preview for the upcoming Capital game. This team is legitimate Cup contending team, and they are playing really well right now. I would be surprised if we beat them. I'm hoping that the Sabres can pull out one win in their next two games. Paul noted that Montour will be playing in the Washington game and that Gilmore will be scratched. I don't expect Montour, coming off a lengthy layoff,  to play in both of these games. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-visit-red-hot-washington

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

so how did it go again??

out by more than 6 points from a playoff spot by Hallowe'en means your season is basically over?

that takes out Ott/Det/NYR/NJ and CHI/MINN/SJ/LA already...

4 points.  So, last year's Sabres won the Cup and the Blues season was over!  

8 minutes ago, bbb said:

4 points.  So, last year's Sabres won the Cup and the Blues season was over!  

indeed.... it was a garbage season for champs in pro sports all around

Blues/Raptors/weak Pats...

Poor Ullmark. He should get hazard pay. Hung out to dry on every goal. I’m surprised at how unprepared to play they look tonight. Lot like the Rangers game, but every mistake we make, the Caps are cashing in. Credit to them, though. 

58 minutes ago, GG said:

Is it me, but are the Sabres controlling the play, except for 5 glaring defensive lapses?

They did play very well tonight. They are still learning this new system and there will be hiccups. I expect a good showing tomorrow and a win. Fans seem to give up on them too soon. They are playing much better then last season and will be in the playoff mix all year 

I happened to have GR on in the 2nd intermission (I saw none of the game) and I thought Paul H said the SOG were way in favor of the Sabres.  Now I look at the final stats, and the Caps were ahead.  I can't find a period breakdown.  What's the story on that?  

The Caps are a Cup contending team. When you play a superior team such as the Caps you can't have not only defensive lapses but glaring lapses. That 4 on 1 in the first period was ridiculous. Tomorrow's game against the Islanders is a big game for the Sabres. This team doesn't want to enter their foreign trip playing the Lightning on a losing streak with the potential to extend it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jrb1979 said:

They did play very well tonight. They are still learning this new system and there will be hiccups. I expect a good showing tomorrow and a win. Fans seem to give up on them too soon. They are playing much better then last season and will be in the playoff mix all year 

Wow. Thats the most positive outlook of a 6-1 loss in history.  
getting outshot 15-5 in the 3rd period when you’re trying to push and catch up... and the Caps just protecting the lead..., is a run for the bus job.

11 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Wow. Thats the most positive outlook of a 6-1 loss in history.  
getting outshot 15-5 in the 3rd period when you’re trying to push and catch up... and the Caps just protecting the lead..., is a run for the bus job.

This is a simple case where the dominant team whooped the inferior team. In hockey an inferior team can compete with the better team if it plays a tight defensive game. As I said in a prior post there were glaring lapses that the home team easily took advantage of. Hopefully, tomorrow the Sabres will play a smarter and more responsible game. 

Edited by JohnC

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Poor Ullmark. He should get hazard pay. Hung out to dry on every goal. I’m surprised at how unprepared to play they look tonight. Lot like the Rangers game, but every mistake we make, the Caps are cashing in. Credit to them, though. 

They had a rough grind for all of October with little rest, then got 3 days off. I thought something like this would happen tonight (though I didn’t see the game and it seems though there’s differing accounts here). I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s game because I think they will be back in game-ready mental shape.

2 minutes ago, snafu said:

They had a rough grind for all of October with little rest, then got 3 days off. I thought something like this would happen tonight (though I didn’t see the game and it seems though there’s differing accounts here). I’m looking forward to tomorrow’s game because I think they will be back in game-ready mental shape.

They get a week off but go to Sweden for two games. 

Anyway, what a Craptacular game.  /smh

Now that turncoat @SlimShady'sGhost gets to gloat.  Oh well... I refuse to cry add in a drained swamp!

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

me gloat????

never!!!

Just letting you know... You're still a Capitals "Anchor Baby."  And... You know what leadership in this country wants to do with Dreamers like you!  LoL... But, don't worry, you will always have a home here don't let those bullies scare you! ?

7 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This matchup wasn't good for us last year so it will be interesting to see how it goes tonight.

Islanders were tough, but they got lucky on their goal. 

Sabres deserved a point tonight. They worked hard.

I sit in the 1st row end where Sabres shoot twice.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Wonder where JRB1979 is to tell us how high scoring and exciting the sabres are

They are still fun to watch. You probably only looked at the final score and moved on. Last night they played a good game but hit a couple of posts. The only goal was a fluke.  Next weekend I see them possibly winning both as they match up well with Tampa. 

They may not win every game but at least their style of play is fun to watch. A lot different then last season. They are more exciting then the Bills on offense. The Bills would be more fun to watch if they let Allen run out of the pocket to make plays. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is it just me or does Dahlin not look good? 

He's not playing with confidence and it shows. Team's have adjusted to what he does well and are now taking away the room for him to freely skate up the ice. He is now more quickly being pressed and forced to give up the puck. In his defensive zone he isn't strong enough to match up with the stronger players who are around the net. 

The Islanders are a good team that plays a tight and suffocating game. I thought overall that the Sabres matched up with them and played them to a draw. The goal the Islanders scored was beyond being a fluke. We had our chances but our shots were off. 

This was a well played game but because of the style of play forced by the Islanders it was not an entertaining game. There was little room to make offensive plays. In these types of games I wish the Sabres would shoot more instead of making that extra tight pass that doesn't materialize into anything. 

The one positive takeaway was that Montour played well in his inaugural game. 

The attached link is WGR's Paul Hamilton's description of the game. It's brief but captures it well.

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/sabres-have-now-lost-three-straight

Edited by JohnC
additions

4 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Is it just me or does Dahlin not look good? 

I saw somebody tweet Mike Harrington that maybe it would be an idea to have Dahlin play forward..............He said No, a D is a D 

What skills make a D a D?  And, I seem to remember Housley or somebody like that doing that switch for a little bit.............Has anybody ever done it successfully?  

4 hours ago, shrader said:

Me on Lehner's save percentage being even lower this year:  It's been 8 games.  Who the hell cares?

I looked up Alex Nylander's stats with Chicago. In 12 games he has 2 goals and 5 assists with a plus 2. He is averaging 12:47 minutes a game. Those are respectable numbers. However, Beane's deal of Jokiharju for Nylander is very much in our favor. The Blackhawk fans have every right to be upset with that deal. 

Just now, GG said:

I’m fairly certain Sabres defense was also at fault on all his shootout efforts.

Haha! He literally didn’t stop one shootout attempt that season. Not. One. 0 for 8 and a stellar .000 save percentage. 

Anyway screw that guy. The Sabres organization stood by him, paid for his treatment and rehab and then he has the nerve to do that hit job on the Buffalo fans in one of the NY papers last spring? Screw Lehner. I’m sorry he  battled sobriety demons and I’m glad he seems to have that in control now, but HE  ripped off the fans by choosing to play when he wasn’t clean, sober, and committed to being his  best on a nightly basis. Sorry, but he doesn’ get to blame the fans for that.

He can piss off.