Today I learned...Part 3

Cats can detect smells from a couple miles away. Our indoor cat got out and was missing for a couple days. We searched the neighborhood and the farm field behind our property with no luck. The vet suggested we put her litter and some clothing outside so she could find her way back. After doing that she came back from the farm field in an hour.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, PastaJoe said:

Cats can detect smells from a couple miles away. Our indoor cat got out and was missing for a couple days. We searched the neighborhood and the farm field behind our property with no luck. The vet suggested we put her litter and some clothing outside so she could find her way back. After doing that she came back from the farm field in an hour.

good ending!!

On 11/22/2019 at 10:03 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

The reason you get sick more in the winter than summer is because the air is thinner and drier.

The viruses in the air fall to the ground in the summer because moisture makes them heavier.  In the winter, they circulate more in the air which makes it easier to pass person to person.

:lol: No.  This is actually one of the stupider things I've ever heard.  

The reason is that cold air is generally drier, which dries out your mucous membranes, which weakens your first defense against airborne infections.  That, and you spend more time indoors, in artificially heated, drier air...which not only weakens the first layer of your immune system but also puts you in closer contact to other people, which makes it easier to spread illness.

But viruses don't "absorb" or "get coated by" or interact with water vapor in any way that makes them more or less susceptible to being airborne.  That is... :lol:

On 11/22/2019 at 11:48 AM, apuszczalowski said:

I thought it was because I didn't wear my hat or scarf, or my jacket wasn't zipped up? That's what I was told as a kid and tell my kids every morning.........

I know my mom used to get sick because I wasn't wearing a sweater. 

On 11/22/2019 at 11:51 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

My dad thinks its because of all the illegals.  

Since people carry and spread viruses, this is actually less stupid than what you posted.

That's how stupid what you posted is.  It's dumber than racism.  :lol:

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DC Tom said:

:lol: No.  This is actually one of the stupider things I've ever heard.  

The reason is that cold air is generally drier, which dries out your mucous membranes, which weakens your first defense against airborne infections.  That, and you spend more time indoors, in artificially heated, drier air...which not only weakens the first layer of your immune system but also puts you in closer contact to other people, which makes it easier to spread illness.

But viruses don't "absorb" or "get coated by" or interact with water vapor in any way that makes them more or less susceptible to being airborne.  That is... :lol:

I know my mom used to get sick because I wasn't wearing a sweater. 

Since people carry and spread viruses, this is actually less stupid than what you posted.

That's how stupid what you posted is.  It's dumber than racism.  :lol:

I heard a doctor state this on the television.

10 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I hope you’re NOT making fun of television! I don’t have that many friends! My Golden Retriever and my LG are near the top of my list. 

?

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Doctor of what?  Viruses are too small to settle out of the atmosphere.  Droplets carrying a viral load can settle out of the atmosphere - for example, when you cough, you distribute droplets over nearby surfaces, including the faces (and nasal linings -mucosal membranes) of people nearby.  But viruses do not.  

And, in fact, viruses aren't typically transmitted through the air.  They're transmitted by touch - you touch a contaminated surface, then touch your face (and you probably touch your face once every 10 minutes, on average.)  If the doctor were correct, you'd get sicker in summer, because surfaces would be more contaminated as viruses settled out of the atmosphere.

The doctor's an idiot.  He probably read and completely misunderstood Lowen, Mubareka, Steel, and Palese (2007).

8 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Doctor of what?  Viruses are too small to settle out of the atmosphere.  Droplets carrying a viral load can settle out of the atmosphere - for example, when you cough, you distribute droplets over nearby surfaces, including the faces (and nasal linings -mucosal membranes) of people nearby.  But viruses do not.  

And, in fact, viruses aren't typically transmitted through the air.  They're transmitted by touch - you touch a contaminated surface, then touch your face (and you probably touch your face once every 10 minutes, on average.)  If the doctor were correct, you'd get sicker in summer, because surfaces would be more contaminated as viruses settled out of the atmosphere.

The doctor's an idiot.  He probably read and completely misunderstood Lowen, Mubareka, Steel, and Palese (2007).

Tom,

I'm just going to say this once.  Epstein didn't kill himself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I beg Americans to throw this one TV doctor out!

In his "defense," he's an accomplished cardiac surgeon.

He's just the archetype of "Being an expert in one thing doesn't mean you're not a moron in everything else."

Just now, DC Tom said:

In his "defense," he's an accomplished cardiac surgeon.

He's just the archetype of "Being an expert in one thing doesn't mean you're not a moron in everything else."

Agreed and understood.  My point with the parody is the internet click bait will forever have viewers unsure as to what and whom to trust.

TIL that the A&E show Live PD, is not technically live, it's filmed several hours before going on air. 

My brother was watching one night when they happened to be covering an area where his son, my nephew, works for the fire dept, and they were showing an accident scene. My brother texts his son asking if he's on site. His reply was that it was filmed earlier that day, and to keep watching, because the driver/suspect was going to run. Sure enough, several minutes later, the driver/suspect starts running. 

Edited by Just Jack

On 11/22/2019 at 12:33 PM, PastaJoe said:

Don't know whether this had anything to do with scent, but a few years back our neighbors went on vacation. My wife was supposed to keep tabs on tabby. All good until the nut job mother-in-law decided the cat would be better off at her home for the rest of the week. Cat got to nut jobs home a few miles away and immediately bolted. Somehow found it's way back home days later.

44 minutes ago, Just Jack said:

Not scripted.  

everything on TV has been 100 percent scripted

one anecdote was a writer telling his parents he wrote all the one-liners for Kitty Carlisle on What’s My Line, and they disowned him for two years 

John Randolph was the original Frank  Costanza on Seinfeld, for the handicap parking spot episode

they reshot the scenes with Stiller and it varies on which version you get 

Crave channel in Canada has Randolph’s version, which seemed strange as I swore Stiller was in it

16 hours ago, row_33 said:

John Randolph was the original Frank  Costanza on Seinfeld, for the handicap parking spot episode

they reshot the scenes with Stiller and it varies on which version you get 

Crave channel in Canada has Randolph’s version, which seemed strange as I swore Stiller was in it

Was the wheelchair episode the first time that Frank was introduced? I know Jerry's dad was a different actor in early years too. Also some roles were played by Larry David

4 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Was the wheelchair episode the first time that Frank was introduced? I know Jerry's dad was a different actor in early years too. Also some roles were played by Larry David

i did a half-hearted search for Frank episodes and read the wheelchair was his first appearance as a character, so Stiller's intro was later in the booth going on about his silver dollar collection and the eternal "then let him have bananas on the side!!!" in the hand modeling episode

Mother Constanza showed up earlier in The Contest.

Jerry's dad was different but is present in all releases

Larry, voice of Steinbrenner, rejects the written-on money at the newsbooth, and a few other pop-ins.

25 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Larry, voice of Steinbrenner, rejects the written-on money at the newsbooth, and a few other pop-ins.

Larry David apparently also did Newman’s voice before the character did an onscreen appearance.  Once the need for an actor was realized, Wayne Knight was hired, and redubbed the voice in ‘The Revenge’ episode for syndication.

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Larry David apparently also did Newman’s voice before the character did an onscreen appearance.  Once the need for an actor was realized, Wayne Knight was hired, and redubbed the voice in ‘The Revenge’ episode for syndication.

thanks!  i did not know that, weird wild stuff.

everyone was shocked it kept going and they had to come up with some characters and somewhat arcs real quick

the poolboy refused to do a Spanish accent for his episode and turned it into a big political deal, as far as that went... 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the poolboy refused to do a Spanish accent for his episode and turned it into a big political deal, as far as that went... 

No, but ‘Bob’ (of Cedric and Bob) made up for it.  ?

WHO?!  WHO WEEEL NOT WEAR THE REEE-BON?!?!

Interesting as well as to what other character Cedric (John Paragon) played on Saturday morning television in the 80s.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, row_33 said:

looking at the Crave exhaustive listens i see show recaps I have no clue about from the 2nd and 3rd seasons, might be worth a spin during holidays and heading into studies again.

Don’t feel bad.  Julia Louis-Dreyfus didn’t even realize that there was a pilot for the Seinfeld Chronicles (George and Jerry in a restaurant exchanging small talk with Lee Garlington as a waitress named Claire).  

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Don’t feel bad.  Julia Louis-Dreyfus didn’t even realize that there was a pilot for the Seinfeld Chronicles (George and Jerry in a restaurant exchanging small talk with Lee Garlington as a waitress named Claire).  

as i get older i think i can watch episodes i've seen 23 times already and they will seem new to me

• Like (+1) 1