Today I learned...Part 3

On 5/17/2019 at 12:01 PM, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Cool. 

I have 2 Hummingbird feeders in my yard.   It's cool to watch them.   have yet to see on this season.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

He lived in Glencoe, Illinois.

From Wiki:

"The median income for a household in the village was $193,571, and the median income for a family was $235,000. Male full-time workers had a median income of $202,083 versus $65,549 for females. The per capita income for the village was $106,649, placing Glencoe among the 20 wealthiest communities in the United States.[11][12]Approximately 4.5% of the population and 4.7% of families were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under the age of 18 and 10.5% age 65 or older."

How is this even possible?  Are they hiding out in a potting shed behind a mansion on Lake Michigan?

10 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He lived in Glencoe, Illinois.

From Wiki:

"The median income for a household in the village was $193,571, and the median income for a family was $235,000. Male full-time workers had a median income of $202,083 versus $65,549 for females. The per capita income for the village was $106,649, placing Glencoe among the 20 wealthiest communities in the United States.[11][12]Approximately 4.5% of the population and 4.7% of families were below the poverty line, including 4.7% of those under the age of 18 and 10.5% age 65 or older."

How is this even possible?  Are they hiding out in a potting shed behind a mansion on Lake Michigan?

Don’t pollute CBF’s thread with you nonsense.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/13/2019 at 11:47 AM, Reed83HOF said:

Wow it really does take a long time for news to reach Canada...

same film projector reel that Lisa Simpson had to watch in science class

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

TIL the Vikings had a QB named Frank Tarkenton

According to this commercial, it’s Francis!  

I remembered this commercial from when Fran returned to the Vikings after being with the Giants for a few seasons.

11 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Well, it was a BIG flood.  Wet, too!

Slightly less galling is the fact that all tolls were supposed to have been off the NYS Thruway by the early 1980s, when the original construction debts would have been paid off.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Well, it was a BIG flood.  Wet, too!

Slightly less galling is the fact that all tolls were supposed to have been off the NYS Thruway by the early 1980s, when the original construction debts would have been paid off.

I think they count on us forgetting......and it often works! It did around here, anyway, for years until someone woke up. 

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Your choice, leave the tolls on and tax out of state people and truck traffic or take them off and pay for all the maintenance out of your tax dollars. The road isn't going away and won't stop needing repairs. How would you rather pay for it?

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Your choice, leave the tolls on and tax out of state people and truck traffic or take them off and pay for all the maintenance out of your tax dollars. The road isn't going away and won't stop needing repairs. How would you rather pay for it?

How are non-toll roads funded?  Fuel taxes?

Anyway... Same with the Illinois Tollway.  The way I believe their Tollway Authority Constitution is written is as long as they are laying concrete some where else, they can continue to collect on roads paid off. Hence the building of I-355.  

9 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

No denying the fact that the road must be maintained, but don’t promise one thing (toll removal) without having contingencies in place for maintenance and repair.  I-90 does not end at a cow path at the Pennsylvania and Massachusetts borders.  Those governments are paying for the road’s upkeep somehow.  The situation is all the more objectionable when you consider tolls from the Thruway are now subsidizing the NYS Barge Canal.  I don’t begrudge the toll takers nor the maintenance workers on the Thruway, but what do the directors of the NYS Thruway pull in as annual salaries?

9 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No denying the fact that the road must be maintained, but don’t promise one thing (toll removal) without having contingencies in place for maintenance and repair.  I-90 does not end at a cow path at the Pennsylvania and Massachusetts borders.  Those governments are paying for the road’s upkeep somehow.  The situation is all the more objectionable when you consider tolls from the Thruway are now subsidizing the NYS Barge Canal.  I don’t begrudge the toll takers nor the maintenance workers on the Thruway, but what do the directors of the NYS Thruway pull in as annual salaries?

Yes, they get paid for in Pennsylvania via state taxes. If you pulled the tolls off the Thruway all of the maintenance costs would be exactly the same you would just be paying them through NY state taxes instead of tolls. As for promising one thing and doing another, that's a pretty naive way to look at it. The Thruway is substantially different today than when it was first constructed. The money for that didn't just come from thin air either.

You don't like paying the toll on the Thruway? Don't drive on it. Now it's free to you.