John Warrow’s High Praise For Beane & McDermott Regime

9 minutes ago, mannc said:

How about using OJ Simpson as a decoy/blocking back for his first THREE seasons in the league?

I'm going to have to trust your judgement on this one.  It was before my time as a Bills fan.  I was a Cowboys fan growing up in Dallas.  The only exposure I got to OJ was watching him on every Monday Night Football half time highlights right after Howard said "Miami's got the oranges, but Buffalo's got THE JUICE".

And,  I did see him win the MVP on January 21, 1973 in the Pro Bowl at Texas Stadium.

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm going to have to trust your judgement on this one.  It was before my time as a Bills fan.  I was a Cowboys fan growing up in Dallas.  The only exposure I got to OJ was watching him on every Monday Night Football half time highlights right after Howard said "Miami's got the oranges, but Buffalo's got THE JUICE".

And,  I did see him win the MVP on January 21, 1973 in the Pro Bowl at Texas Stadium.

The Bills’ coaching and QB play in the early 70s was the worst in the history of the franchise, if not the history of the entire league.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

No doubt he shouldn't have been benched when he was, but for as big of a deal as people make about it, they had that game won until a special teams gaffe.

I'm gonna just disagree with this.  No way Flutie fumbles out of the back of the end zone for a safety leading to Tennessee scoring their only TD of the game on the resulting free kick.  A 9 point swing.

Flutie plays, we win it going away and probably go to SB.  Flutie gets his number retired.

Biggest shot to foot in Bills franchise history.

And yeah, the kick off was really dumb too.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm gonna just disagree with this.  No way Flutie fumbles out of the back of the end zone for a safety leading to Tennessee scoring their only TD of the game on the resulting free kick.  A 9 point swing.

Flutie plays, we win it going away and probably go to SB.  Flutie gets his number retired.

Disagree with what?  That people make too big of a deal out of it?  Maybe, but like I said: they had that game won.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Nor would he have been sacked 6 times and thrown for under 125 yards against a pass D that ranked 25th in passing yards allowed and 27th in passing TDs allowed. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Baldo, you are more criticized on here than any other poster (except SoTier) and the reason is the quality of your posts and this "I'm smarter than you attitude".

Moving goal posts is the best explanation of you.  

Most controversial takes?.........absolutely.

Most accurate controversial takes for 2 decades and running?........absolutely.........but the takes are just controversial because the team has been bad and certain fans don't like to hear that.........it even depresses some of those who don't keep it in perspective as entertainment.

"Moving goal posts" is re-directing the argument without answering issues......................I have SPECIFICALLY and thoroughly answered so much of your nonsense in this thread that I am aware of the fact that it appears that I am arguing to your level of competence......as DC Tom wouldn't say.     That is NOT moving the goal posts.   That's disagreeing with you with reasons.

Just another case of you using a popular "phrase/term" that doesn't accurately apply to the topic of discussion.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Nor would he have been sacked 6 times and thrown for under 125 yards against a pass D that ranked 25th in passing yards allowed and 27th in passing TDs allowed. 

I don't see it that way at all.

The Titans could very well have played Flutie and Johnson entirely differently and gotten a worse performance from DF.

The reason they were on the road in Nashville was because of two HORRENDOUS games that Flutie had at home against two bad teams.......NYG and Raiders.     He was a 46% passer in those games.    Those teams employed a "keep Flutie in the pocket" approach to stunningly upset the Bills on their own turf.

What really stood out was that at the end of those games when Flutie needed to move the ball in the air the Bills were paralyzed.   The book was out.  

Contrast that to how Johnson finished the game in TN.

In the playoffs you are going to get defenses designed specifically to stop players..........I sincerely doubt Flutie would have been an answer because I doubt the Titans would have shot themselves in the foot over pursuing Flutie when all you had to do was make him stay in the pocket.   Simple as that.

In an ideal situation the HC has the power of a Don Shula and plays both Flutie and Johnson the way Shula used Woodley/Strock to get a team to a SB.    But that level of power and accountability was not happening with Wade.   Great DC.......had a good style of building systems around players on both sides of the ball as a HC that served him well..........but a guy with little attention to detail and therefore never going to be great enough to last more than a few seasons let alone pull off a 2 QB system.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ

44 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Flutie lead the Bills to a 5 turnover performance in the playoffs the season before......... including losing the game with a fumble at the goal line when they had a chance to tie it!:lol:

Fumbles don't get much bigger than that.   That was literally a game ender.   Why people think Flutie was some playoff hero in waiting is beyond me.........that Bills team should have never lost that game in Miami.   

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Titans could very well have played Flutie and Johnson entirely differently and gotten a worse performance from DF.

The reason they were on the road in Nashville was because of two HORRENDOUS games that Flutie had at home against two bad teams.......NYG and Raiders.     He was a 46% passer in those games.    Those teams employed a "keep Flutie in the pocket" approach to stunningly upset the Bills on their own turf.

What really stood out was that at the end of those games when Flutie needed to move the ball in the air the Bills were paralyzed.   The book was out.  

In the playoffs you are going to get defenses designed specifically to stop players..........I sincerely doubt Flutie would have been an answer because I doubt the Titans would have shot themselves in the foot over pursuing Flutie when all you had to do was make him stay in the pocket.   Simple as that.

In an ideal situation the HC has the power of a Don Shula and plays both Flutie and Johnson the way Shula used Woodley/Strock to get a team to a SB.    But that level of power and accountability was not happening with Wade.   Great DC.......had a good style of building systems around players on both sides of the ball as a HC that served him well..........but a guy with little attention to detail and therefore never going to be great enough to last more than a few seasons let alone pull off a 2 QB system.  

The *one* thing the TN defense could do that season was sack the qb (54 sacks).  Combine that with the fact that there isn't a qb in NFL history who has been sacked at a higher rate than Rob Johnson, and you get a truly unholy marriage. But don't take it from me; take it from Wade Phillips, who had no desire to start Johnson (who sucked his entire career and was a huge disappointment at SC given the ridiculous talent around him). As for Flutie,  he had played well in his previous two games - against AZ and against NE in a howling rainstorm. As for the Giants game, if either Thurman or Jonathan Linton can actually get a measly yard on 3rd and then 4th down in NYG territory with just over two minutes to go, the game would have been over. But they didn't, and the Bills couldn't stop Kerry Collins from marching down the field to set up the game winning FG. 

Anyway, Johnson sucked, and while Flutie had flaws in his game, he was, without question, a better player. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Most controversial takes?.........absolutely.

Most accurate controversial takes for 2 decades and running?........absolutely.........but the takes are just controversial because the team has been bad and certain fans don't like to hear that.........it even depresses some of those who don't keep it in perspective as entertainment.

"Moving goal posts" is re-directing the argument without answering issues......................I have SPECIFICALLY and thoroughly answered so much of your nonsense in this thread that I am aware of the fact that it appears that I am arguing to your level of competence......as DC Tom wouldn't say.     That is NOT moving the goal posts.   That's disagreeing with you with reasons.

Just another case of you using a popular "phrase/term" that doesn't accurately apply to the topic of discussion.

I guess we just see things differently don't we?

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Flutie lead the Bills to a 5 turnover performance in the playoffs the season before......... including losing the game with a fumble at the goal line when they had a chance to tie it!:lol:

Fumbles don't get much bigger than that.   That was literally a game ender.   Why people think Flutie was some playoff hero in waiting is beyond me.........that Bills team should have never lost that game in Miami.   

You know as well as i that he lit up the number 1 defense (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef1998) in the league like a Christmas tree in that game, and while he made some mistakes, he moved the ball up and down the field all day. Johnson did the opposite against a significantly worse pass defense. I'm not saying Flutie was without flaws, but he was a clear shot better than the QB who represented probably the biggest mistake in franchise history. The Bills spent the #9 overall pick plus a fourth for a qb who went 0-5-1 against ND and UCLA despite having, in succession, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson as his #1s and Tony Boselli as his LT. He choked in every one of those games (I watched them).

8 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess we just see things differently don't we?

Badol is a great poster and always worth reading, but even he will confess that he was a massive booster of the disaster that was Rob Johnson when that whole thing went down. All of us make mistakes, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

The *one* thing the TN defense could do that season was sack the qb (54 sacks).  Combine that with the fact that there isn't a qb in NFL history who has been sacked at a higher rate than Rob Johnson, and you get a truly unholy marriage. But don't take it from me; take it from Wade Phillips, who had no desire to start Johnson (who sucked his entire career and was a huge disappointment at SC given the ridiculous talent around him). As for Flutie,  he had played well in his previous two games - against AZ and against NE in a howling rainstorm. As for the Giants game, if either Thurman or Jonathan Linton can actually get a measly yard on 3rd and then 4th down in NYG territory with just over two minutes to go, the game would have been over. But they didn't, and the Bills couldn't stop Kerry Collins from marching down the field to set up the game winning FG. 

Anyway, Johnson sucked, and while Flutie had flaws in his game, he was, without question, a better player. 

Stop right there.

The woeful Raiders and Giants went against their style of defense against Flutie as well.

ANY defense can just contain the QB and squat on short throws in the secondary..............it makes defense VERY simple.

And I know that Phillips didn't want Flutie............Phillips played him all season and the Bills struggled to score points...........he didn't emphasize ST's and then quit his job over Ronnie Jones a year later.........what can I say he wasn't that smart of a HC.  

And Flutie did NOT play well against Arizona.............they took the Bills to OT........he just played A LOT.

Watching that offense that year was brutal.

But again the solution wasn't necessarily EITHER of those QB's.......if anything it was BOTH of them and that wasn't going to happen with a guy like Wade Phillips as HC. 

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Stop right there.

The woeful Raiders and Giants went against their style of defense against Flutie as well.

ANY defense can just contain the QB and squat on short throws in the secondary..............it makes defense VERY simple.

And I know that Phillips didn't want Flutie............Phillips played him all season and the Bills struggled to score points...........he didn't emphasize ST's and then quit his job over Ronnie Jones a year later.........what can I say he wasn't that smart of a HC.  

And Flutie did NOT play well against Arizona.............they took the Bills to OT........he just played A LOT.

Watching that offense that year was brutal.

But again the solution wasn't necessarily EITHER of those QB's.......if anything it was BOTH of them and that wasn't going to happen with a guy like Wade Phillips as HC. 

?? Phillips all but SAID he wanted Flutie in the years after. Wilson ordered it.  From the horse's mouth (in a 2017 piece co-written by Phillips and Vic Carucci in the News): "The next day, our owner, Ralph Wilson, called our GM, John Butler, to tell him he wanted Rob to start our wild card playoff game at Tennessee."

Also, what are you taking about re: AZ? The Bills controlled that game throughout and won 31-21. They beat NE in OT because a) the weather was basically a nor'easter and b) Jonathan Linton not only lost two fumbles (once inside the red zone), but got stoned on a 4th and 1 play. The Bills completely dominated the yardage stats in that game. 

Re the 1998 Bills offense, my do memories fade. They were 11th in yards, 16th in points, and 7th in offensive DVOA. My strong recollection from that season is that everyone leaped on Flutie after the Baltimore game, but as it became clear over the next 16 months, that defense was arguably the greatest unit in NFL history. They finished first in DVOA that season and the next. 

Most importantly, I am skeptical of anyone who argues that Johnson/Flutie was six of one/half dozen of the other. Johnson stunk, pure and simple. Outside of throwing a very nice ball when the pressure wasn't there and running reasonably well in the open field, he was bad in every other aspect of the game (especially the mental part). 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

You know as well as i that he lit up the number 1 defense (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef1998) in the league like a Christmas tree in that game, and while he made some mistakes, he moved the ball up and down the field all day. Johnson did the opposite against a significantly worse pass defense. I'm not saying Flutie was without flaws, but he was a clear shot better than the QB who represented probably the biggest mistake in franchise history. The Bills spent the #9 overall pick plus a fourth for a qb who went 0-5-1 against ND and UCLA despite having, in succession, Curtis Conway, Johnny Morton, and Keyshawn Johnson as his #1s and Tony Boselli as his LT. He choked in every one of those games (I watched them).

Badol is a great poster and always worth reading, but even he will confess that he was a massive booster of the disaster that was Rob Johnson when that whole thing went down. All of us make mistakes, of course.

Flutie was careless with the football in a playoff game.    It happened.   We all expected the Bills to win that game and they moved the ball but what is the #1 job of the quarterback dave?   PROTECT THE FOOTBALL

I supported Rob Johnson plenty but even then I said the answer was both.    I was pleased when they paid Flutie.   Money spent on 2 QB's was money well spent IMO.  I thought we *might* actually see the day when they would alternate them.  That was a controversial opinion for some reason even though a HC in our division had done it years earlier and gotten the team to a SB.

But the long term play was obviously Johnson.......the cap wasn't going allow them to keep both even if some on here didn't believe that a cap crisis was looming.  I can't remember your take but there was almost UNIVERSAL denial about the seriousness of the cap crisis.  I assume that's the period you are referring to.   Flutie was old and as it turned out Johnson flamed out but they absolutely made the right choice keeping Johnson over Flutie.   They had to see what they had in him.........he played some great games and some awful games........but a late 30's Flutie was not the future for a young team.

28 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I disagree.

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Flutie was careless with the football in a playoff game.    It happened.   We all expected the Bills to win that game and they moved the ball but what is the #1 job of the quarterback dave?   PROTECT THE FOOTBALL

I supported Rob Johnson plenty but even then I said the answer was both.    I was pleased when they paid Flutie.   Money spent on 2 QB's was money well spent IMO.  I thought we *might* actually see the day when they would alternate them.  That was a controversial opinion for some reason even though a HC in our division had done it years earlier and gotten the team to a SB.

But the long term play was obviously Johnson.......the cap wasn't going allow them to keep both even if some on here didn't believe that a cap crisis was looming.  I can't remember your take but there was almost UNIVERSAL denial about the seriousness of the cap crisis.  I assume that's the period you are referring to.   Flutie was old and as it turned out Johnson flamed out but they absolutely made the right choice keeping Johnson over Flutie.   They had to see what they had in him.........he played some great games and some awful games........but a late 30's Flutie was not the future for a young team.

All I know is that I watched Johnson choke repeatedly in college while I was at UCLA and was never a supporter. That was my take from the get-go. There was a reason he was drafted in the fourth round, and it had nothing to do with physical talent (his talent was fantastic). I was at UCLA when his brother Bret Johnson, the frickin' #1 high school QB recruit in the country, metaphorically picked up his marbles and went home after failing to win the starting job. He then transferred to Michigan State (my wife's alma mater), where he stunk. The lesson for me: be skeptical of raw-talent guys who don't produce despite being surrounded by incredible talent - which Rob Johnson was at USC.  He had a few good games for the Bills, but doesn't every bad qb have the occasional good game? He was bad, Badol, and the numbers, from college to the NFL, back that up. Again: the most sacked qb ever in terms of sack rate. 

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

PS - we all expected the Bills to win??? Please. We all HOPED the Bills would win. They were playing on the road against the number one defense in the NFL and against one of the best coaches of that era. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He was a little bit too pro Tyrod Taylor as well for my liking. He was actually uncontroversial around here with his take on that. There were plenty who liked the non-throwing Quarterback though. And I wouldn't quite put Badol in full CoT company. 

57 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But the long term play was obviously Johnson......

I wasn't as deeply into the Bills in those days as I am now, but I remember reaching this conclusion, too.   Flutie was exciting, and I liked the idea that he could emerge into something like Mahomes - an unconventional guy who is just such a good athlete and such a winner that he's going to make plays for you.  But when I left that dreamworld, Johnson was the obvious choice.  

Just doing my part to get to 100.

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I wasn't as deeply into the Bills in those days as I am now, but I remember reaching this conclusion, too.   Flutie was exciting, and I liked the idea that he could emerge into something like Mahomes - an unconventional guy who is just such a good athlete and such a winner that he's going to make plays for you.  But when I left that dreamworld, Johnson was the obvious choice.  

Just doing my part to get to 100.

One page closer :)

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

All I know is that I watched Johnson choke repeatedly in college while I was at UCLA and was never a supporter. That was my take from the get-go. There was a reason he was drafted in the fourth round, and it had nothing to do with physical talent (his talent was fantastic). I was at UCLA when his brother Bret Johnson, the frickin' #1 high school QB recruit in the country, metaphorically picked up his marbles and went home after failing to win the starting job. He then transferred to Michigan State (my wife's alma mater), where he stunk. The lesson for me: be skeptical of raw-talent guys who don't produce despite being surrounded by incredible talent - which Rob Johnson was at USC.  He had a few good games for the Bills, but doesn't every bad qb have the occasional good game? He was bad, Badol, and the numbers, from college to the NFL, back that up. Again: the most sacked qb ever in terms of sack rate. 

PS - we all expected the Bills to win??? Please. We all HOPED the Bills would win. They were playing on the road against the number one defense in the NFL and against one of the best coaches of that era. 

Johnson's good games were spectacular.   And even in some of his many lousy games he sometimes managed to rally the team back at the end.    It was like they couldn't access his competitive switch but when they did he was a totally different player.   For being a choker he sure had a lot of late game rallies that seemingly came from nowhere.   Some wins(@TB/@KC) and some losses(@SD/Indy/ theMCM).   When he needed to throw the football late in the game it was at least possible.   Not always the case with DF.  And that Flutie/Johnson matchup in SD was the highlight of that season.   Awesome football game between 2 bad teams.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He was a little bit too pro Tyrod Taylor as well for my liking. He was actually uncontroversial around here with his take on that. There were plenty who liked the non-throwing Quarterback though. And I wouldn't quite put Badol in full CoT company. 

The question was never if Tyrod was the answer it was why is that the question?    The question was why weren't they drafting a QB?   It's been my mantra for a decade here and thankfully McBeane became the first regime to ever go all-in on a QB on draft day.   .

On a year to year basis Tyrod was a player who produced offense,  was a good fit in Lynn/Roman offense and protected the football.   The Bills nursed three productive seasons out of Tyrod and he was far from their biggest problem.

You were on the Case Keenum bandwagon when he became a FA in LA.   That looked like a good take for the year he was in Minnesota.  Last year he was really bad and that would have been a costly error for the Bills and may have delayed their drafting of a QB.    Letting Tyrod play out the string was the better decision than long terming with Keenum.

If McBeane make it to a playoff game again and lose.....get fired in subsequent years and then the Bills go on another 10 year losing streak.........people will opine for them like they do "Wade"..........and all people will remember from my takes are the things that I didn't like about them, because that is all anyone really cares to discuss.    I say that I thought all of their first round picks were good values where taken and that's a "non-take" because of course every apologist thinks that's OBVIOUS right now.:lol:

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

All I know is that I watched Johnson choke repeatedly in college while I was at UCLA and was never a supporter. That was my take from the get-go. There was a reason he was drafted in the fourth round, and it had nothing to do with physical talent

I remember in like 2001 or 2002 Rob was on one of those QB competitions where they throw at sleds with targets on them.  Rob was ahead most of the way but at the end, the other guy hit a long one to go ahead by 1 point.  All Rob had to do was his the short 10 yard one and he would have won.  But what did he do?  He wound up and tried to hit the longest one and missed.  He lost.

Afterwards when asked why he just didn't go for the short one for the win, he said he didn't want to win it that way.  So he went long.

Loser. 

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The question was never if Tyrod was the answer it was why is that the question?    The question was why weren't they drafting a QB?   It's been my mantra for a decade here and thankfully McBeane became the first regime to ever go all-in on a QB on draft day.   .

On a year to year basis Tyrod was a player who produced offense,  was a good fit in Lynn/Roman offense and protected the football.   The Bills nursed three productive seasons out of Tyrod and he was far from their biggest problem.

You were on the Case Keenum bandwagon when he became a FA in LA.   That looked like a good take for the year he was in Minnesota.  Last year he was really bad and that would have been a costly error for the Bills and may have delayed their drafting of a QB.    Letting Tyrod play out the string was the better decision than long terming with Keenum.

If McBeane make it to a playoff game again and lose.....get fired in subsequent years and then the Bills go on another 10 year losing streak.........people will opine for them like they do "Wade"..........and all people will remember from my takes are the things that I didn't like about them, because that is all anyone really cares to discuss.    I say that I thought all of their first round picks were good values where taken and that's a "non-take" because of course every apologist thinks that's OBVIOUS right now.:lol:

No. I'd still have rather had Keenum for 2 years than the non-throwing Quarterback. I was always on the "just freaking draft a guy" bus. But Tyrod had one good year in Buffalo. His first year. Once the tape was out on him he sucked. Consistently and often. You were by no means one of the worst. But you were an apologist for him. By the end I was almost in Gug territory. I didn't want him benched for Nathan Peterman - but if Tyrod Taylor had started 2018 as the Bills starter I'd have turned the tv off. I couldn't watch anymore of that insipid crap he called Quarterback play. 

• Like (+1) 1

You know a Bills thread has jumped the shark when it becomes a Flutie v. Johnson debate.  Regardless of what anyone thought at the time, LOL at BADOL still trying to defend that miserable QB today.

37 minutes ago, eball said:

You know a Bills thread has jumped the shark when it becomes a Flutie v. Johnson debate.  Regardless of what anyone thought at the time, LOL at BADOL still trying to defend that miserable QB today.

Yeah, Flutie v. Johnson is the reducto ad absurdum of all-over-the-map discussions like this. This tends to be where it always ends up if the thread goes on long enough.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Yeah, Flutie v. Johnson is the reducto ad absurdum of all-over-the-map discussions like this. This tends to be where it always ends up if the thread goes on long enough.

Well, I could bring up Kemp vs. Lamonica.  One constant in the history of Bills fans is the backup QB is always considered better than the starter.  There were even some folks who wanted Reich over Kelly.

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Johnson's good games were spectacular.   And even in some of his many lousy games he sometimes managed to rally the team back at the end.    It was like they couldn't access his competitive switch but when they did he was a totally different player.   For being a choker he sure had a lot of late game rallies that seemingly came from nowhere.   Some wins(@TB/@KC) and some losses(@SD/Indy/ theMCM).   When he needed to throw the football late in the game it was at least possible.   Not always the case with DF.  And that Flutie/Johnson matchup in SD was the highlight of that season.   Awesome football game between 2 bad teams.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301050pit.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201211110min.htm

Point being, even bad QBs have the occasional good game. Johnson was terrible overall, straight up. Please don’t defend him. Championing that SD-Buffalo game is like finding a passable slice of Bocce’s pepperoni pizza in a deep dumpster dive.

In the two seasons where he was the man - 2000 and 2001 - he crapped the bed. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, eball said:

I haven't seen him defending flutie.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Well, I could bring up Kemp vs. Lamonica.  One constant in the history of Bills fans is the backup QB is always considered better than the starter.  There were even some folks who wanted Reich over Kelly.

The board wasn’t around for those two. It was around for F v. J. That’s what I’m referring to.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I still believe that the problem with that team was blocking. When teams would keep Flutie in the pocket our OL wasn't strong enough to run successfully, or to hold off the oncoming pass rush. It was as if the team out and out refused to provide blocking, opting mostly for defensive backs and running backs. Flutie was good at masking this deficiency but the better coaches were able to exploit it. I looked at pro football reference and checked out the Bills rosters from the Flutie years and the OL had holes big enough to drive a train through.

I will never, ever understand how so many football professionals were just so neglectful and even stupid.

6 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200301050pit.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201211110min.htm

Point being, even bad QBs have the occasional good game. Johnson was terrible overall, straight up. Please don’t defend him. Championing that SD-Buffalo game is like finding a passable slice of Bocce’s pepperoni pizza in a deep dumpster dive.

In the two seasons where he was the man - 2000 and 2001 - he crapped the bed. 

I think you mean "even bad QBs CAN have the occasional good game".     Peterman........perhaps not.

I'm not sure why people need to go to such lengths to exaggerate the level of incompetence of Bills QB's..............we all know that every one of them has sucked since Kelly(and he sucked in his last season).   Johnson was a bust but he had his moments........INCLUDING leading his team to the go-ahead drive at the end on the road in the playoffs the last time the Bills were contenders 20 years ago.     

If Josh Allen doesn't pan out then in 5 years the same people who are excusing his rookie production will be mocking it.   I call it like it is.   He was a bad QB last year.   He showed flashes.......but like you said bad QB's (can) have occasional good games.   I've been a Josh Allen supporter since the jump but he might be bad........we don't know yet.    

POINT BEING,  when the list is all ***** performing QB's you can choose to look for things done right.    My points are absolutely valid..........Johnson had some tremendous games and great finishes.   

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you mean "even bad QBs CAN have the occasional good game".     Peterman........perhaps not.

I'm not sure why people need to go to such lengths to exaggerate the level of incompetence of Bills QB's..............we all know that every one of them has sucked since Kelly(and he sucked in his last season).   Johnson was a bust but he had his moments........INCLUDING leading his team to the go-ahead drive at the end on the road in the playoffs the last time the Bills were contenders 20 years ago.     

If Josh Allen doesn't pan out then in 5 years the same people who are excusing his rookie production will be mocking it.   I call it like it is.   He was a bad QB last year.   He showed flashes.......but like you said bad QB's (can) have occasional good games.   I've been a Josh Allen supporter since the jump but he might be bad........we don't know yet.    

POINT BEING,  when the list is all ***** performing QB's you can choose to look for things done right.    My points are absolutely valid..........Johnson had some tremendous games and great finishes.   

Never in my life have I seen someone with such a zest to prove himself right.  You're a legend in your own mind...

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I still believe that the problem with that team was blocking. When teams would keep Flutie in the pocket our OL wasn't strong enough to run successfully, or to hold off the oncoming pass rush. It was as if the team out and out refused to provide blocking, opting mostly for defensive backs and running backs. Flutie was good at masking this deficiency but the better coaches were able to exploit it. I looked at pro football reference and checked out the Bills rosters from the Flutie years and the OL had holes big enough to drive a train through.

I will never, ever understand how so many football professionals were just so neglectful and even stupid.

Yeah Flutie covered up a lot of weaknesses on the OL in pass pro...........he got Jerry Ostroski PAID even though he was pretty lousy player.

The OL was blocking better leading up to that TN game but then in "Bruce Smith gets the flu" fashion the Bills two starting tackles were ruled out at the last minute for the Titans game. :doh:

That would have been their toughest game of the playoffs........that Bills defense was stifling.........better than the Tampa D that took the Rams to the brink in St. Louis. 

People who think Rob Johnson had a bad game should check out McNair's line:  76 yards passing on 24 attempts.  :lol:

That Bills team could've been a Ravens/Bucs-esque SB champion that year..............or they could have been shut down completely in TN by the most basic of defense's like Flutie was at home versus NYG and Raiders.    It was a fragile situation.   Shame they didn't have the guts to use both QB's that year.........could have had homefield at least until Jacksonville anyway.     

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

Never in my life have I seen someone with such a zest to prove himself right.  You're a legend in your own mind...

I wish I was A LOT more wrong about the Bills organization..........but I've been about as close to spot-on about the organization as possible.:thumbsup:

You on the other hand.......you want to excuse every new regime.........until they have one foot in the grave or are gone.......THEN you trash everything about them............you just have an ignorant outlook on the Bills(which isn't helped by your utter cluelessness regarding the rest of the NFL or college football).

In retrospect........you've enjoyed NOTHING! :lol:     Except the refreshments.:beer:    

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wish I was A LOT more wrong about the Bills organization..........but I've been about as close to spot-on about the organization as possible.:thumbsup:

You on the other hand.......you want to excuse every new regime.........until they have one foot in the grave or are gone.......THEN you trash everything about them............you just have an ignorant outlook on the Bills(which isn't helped by your utter cluelessness regarding the rest of the NFL or college football).

In retrospect........you've enjoyed NOTHING! :lol:     Except the refreshments.:beer:    

So THIS post gets a "like" and an "awesome" from SoTier and BillsVet...hilarious.  You may think you're right about a lot of things, BADOL, but you're dead-ass wrong about how I view the Bills and life in general.  I enjoy the hell out of the Bills, this board, and even to a certain extent sparring with the likes of you.  It's fascinating to watch how people interact and wonder what they are like when not behind a keyboard.

You go on with your self-aggrandizing takes and I'll sit back, shaking my head and chuckling...

• Like (+1) 2