Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Joe Marino (Locked on Bills): Two names he is hearing in 1st for Bills: Jonah Williams, DK Metcalf

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scribo said:

(Note: Not at all swiping at the messenger here.) No one is actually "hearing" anything. The Bills are not going to tell anyone who they are really targeting.

 

‘Hearing it’ from other talking heads who also have no information but need to constantly be saying something.

 

Media in the 21st century.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Fine.  Have it your way.  Have fun watching Metcalf and Allen sit on the sidelines, as they watch the run defense get torched week in and week out.

It is so obvious. There is no way the Bills do not address this. This defense needs more than "serviceable" defensive picks. That is what is causing this in the first place.

Edited by Rocket94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

The most explosive WR with a run defense that ranks toward the bottom of the league.  BRILLIANT!

 

Where did the passing game rank genius?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, the skycap said:
12 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Um, Simmons has a torn ACL and might miss the entire season.

What has Jerry Tillery done of any note?  What great things did he do for Notre Dame this past season?

https://www.djournal.com/sports/brown-simmons-competing-in-all-star-football-challenge/article_1f9d3810-cc3c-5728-b571-6235ee051dc8.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Corey Davis and Mike Williams went in the top 10 a few years ago, I’m not sure why Metcalf WOULDN’T go top 10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I have seen some people afraid of taking metcalf in the 1st because they have PTSD on Sammy. He was the consensus “nightmare pick” on one of the twitter polls. I get this, I do. But let’s break it down. And FTR I’m not sold on DK at 9. Or as this team’s 1st rounder in general.  But let’s say it happens. Will the Bills fan base collectively freak out? Here’s some reasons to breathe at the idea of it happening....

 

1. The Bills likely won’t be trading up like they did for Sammy. Less risk, less assets given up. 

2. Sammy was expected to come in and be the #1 WR right away. And he actually was, and did well at it despite the unsettled QB situation. DK has #1 potential,  but he’s not going to be given that load right away. 

3. The QB situation with Allen is still developing but it’s not what it was when Sammy was drafted. Marrone never seemed to want EJ or seem committed to his development. He also never seemed to want Sammy, who he was livid they traded up for. He and Whaley butted heads over both of these players imo and has different direction in mind. I don’t believe that’s the case here at all. I think both McD and Beane wanted Allen, and are committed to him succeeding. And if they take DK, it’s because they both feel he’s an integral piece of building their core team. 

3.sammy’s best skill set in college was screens and jet sweeps which the Bills almost never ran (with him). DK’s best skill set mirrors Josh Allen’s strengths as a QB. He may be raw, but as he develops he can still excel at what he does best especially if there are other receiving options taking the pressure off. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cornette's Commentary said:

Fine.  Have it your way.  Have fun watching Metcalf and Allen sit on the sidelines, as they watch the run defense get torched week in and week out.

 

You have fun watching any DT we add at this point sitting on the sidelines for about 40% of defensive snaps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

After Corey Davis and Mike Williams went in the top 10 a few years ago, I’m not sure why Metcalf WOULDN’T go top 10.

I think Mike Williams is a great comparison. Chargers looked at him as a future #1 due to some dominant traits who would be able to grow alongside KA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not loving these two options at 9.  Not at all. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have seen some people afraid of taking metcalf in the 1st because they have PTSD on Sammy. He was the consensus “nightmare pick” on one of the twitter polls. I get this, I do. But let’s break it down. And FTR I’m not sold on DK at 9. Or as this team’s 1st rounder in general.  But let’s say it happens. Will the Bills fan base collectively freak out? Here’s some reasons to breathe at the idea of it happening....

 

1. The Bills likely won’t be trading up like they did for Sammy. Less risk, less assets given up. 

2. Sammy was expected to come in and be the #1 WR right away. And he actually was, and did well at it despite the unsettled QB situation. DK has #1 potential,  but he’s not going to be given that load right away. 

3. The QB situation with Allen is still developing but it’s not what it was when Sammy was drafted. Marrone never seemed to want EJ or seem committed to his development. He also never seemed to want Sammy, who he was livid they traded up for. He and Whaley butted heads over both of these players imo and has different direction in mind. I don’t believe that’s the case here at all. I think both McD and Beane wanted Allen, and are committed to him succeeding. And if they take DK, it’s because they both feel he’s an integral piece of building their core team. 

3.sammy’s best skill set in college was screens and jet sweeps which the Bills almost never ran (with him). DK’s best skill set mirrors Josh Allen’s strengths as a QB. He may be raw, but as he develops he can still excel at what he does best especially if there are other receiving options taking the pressure off. 

One more reason:  this is pretty mediocre WR class and Metcalf is the consensus top rated guy.  2014 was one of the best WR classes ever, so there was zero reason to trade up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of all the pre draft visitors this is the only one I saw representing.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf20b2958546038ba8de2813d3ac1cb3.jpeg

 

 

I'm just saying 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The biggest problem I have with Williams is that I think he will end up being a guard in the NFL.  I don't think he can hang with top DEs in this league and, to me, that is a bit concerning.   While I do think he has the potential to be a very good guard, I am not sure I want to invest the #9 overall pick on a guard.  As for Metcalf......I am not sure what he is going to be in the NFL.  He is the true definition of a boom or bust type of player.  If he works at his craft, has great coaching helping him, and works on his change of direction and route running, he has the potential to be dominant.  If he can't get those things figured out, he'll be just another guy.  There is no doubt that his size and speed is very intriguing, though.  Personally, I am not sure I take the risk there, but it would be hard to get upset if the Bills do.  There is a good starting point with him there with the tools he has. 

 

In the end, I want Oliver at 9 and Hakeem Butler with our second pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s a complete rebuild on the OL. Outside of Center, I believe every other starting job on the OL will be competed for in TC. May the best men at each spot win. If Jonah is drafted, he could play anywhere. 

 

I agree.  I think the OL only has 1 starter at this point and that is Morse.  I don't think Dawkins spot at LT is safe, especially after showing up looking like ButterBean

Edited by NewEraBills

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Of all the pre draft visitors this is the only one I saw representing.

 

image.thumb.jpeg.cf20b2958546038ba8de2813d3ac1cb3.jpeg

 

 

I'm just saying 

There is just so much smoke around him to Bills. And he’s a very process type guy too, which makes it even more likely. 

 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is just so much smoke around him to Bills. And he’s a very process type guy too, which makes it even more likely. 

 

That is why I don't buy it, last year everything was very close to the vest and nothing seems to leak from OBD.

 

You cannot rule him out though as he does fit the "athleticism" and potential that we went for last year in RD1 (very high ceiling and an outstanding athletic profile). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

After Corey Davis and Mike Williams went in the top 10 a few years ago, I’m not sure why Metcalf WOULDN’T go top 10.

Corey Davis and Mike Williams had more production in their final college seasons than Metcalf had in his Ole Miss career.

 

 

Edited by Jay_Fixit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Corey Davis and Mike Williams had more production in their final college seasons than Metcalf had in his Ole Miss career.

 

 

I don’t care as much about production at WR in college as with some other positions tbh. So much depends on the QB, the system, and the coaching. And he was injured for a good part of it. Michael Thomas production in college was like a thumbnail sketch of his pro potential. I prefer to have a lot of production, but Zay Jones had a lot of production. It’s just one factor.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Corey Davis and Mike Williams had more production in their final college seasons than Metcalf had in his Ole Miss career.

 

 

 

image.png.183a0eedda91884afb40428040c16eaf.png

5 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Corey Davis and Mike Williams had more production in their final college seasons than Metcalf had in his Ole Miss career.

 

 

 

Zay Jones had a lot of production in college. Hows that working out?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

 

If it's between J Williams and DK Metcalf, Williams has all pro potential IMO. From what I've read, there are no real red flags on him. That's not true of Metcalf and there will be solid value at WR later. Besides, we don't have an AB, but we do have 4 solid WR's now so it's not a glaring need. Besides, I REALLy want to get our run game back into high gear.

You may want to edit your post. You forgot to mention how inaccurate Josh Allen is. There was a perfect opening where you mention really wanting to get the run game back in high gear because you know . . . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I believe Metcalf is an option based on how Beane handled last year. He swung for the fences twice in the first. He took raw players with huge ceilings and pretty low floors. Metcalf is that player in this draft. I feel like Jonah is the exact opposite. He’s a safe player that will be good but never great.

 If J. Williams is a plug-in and play pro bowler for ten years as many say, then that’s a hell of a lot closer to great than good and that’s worth the pick! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

 If J. Williams is a plug-in and play pro bowler for ten years as many say, then that’s a hell of a lot closer to great than good and that’s worth the pick! 

If he were a plug and play pro bowler for 10 years he wouldn’t be an option at 9. He isn’t Quentin Nelson. 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Kirby Jackson said:

If he were a plug and play pro bowler for 10 years he wouldn’t be an option at 9. He isn’t Quentin Nelson. 

Completely disagree. He very likely is that player and there’s a good chance he will be available at nine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hearing we’re going to draft a player in the first round and he will hopefully be a good player who may or may not play on the defensive side of the ball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I have seen some people afraid of taking metcalf in the 1st because they have PTSD on Sammy. He was the consensus “nightmare pick” on one of the twitter polls. I get this, I do. But let’s break it down. And FTR I’m not sold on DK at 9. Or as this team’s 1st rounder in general.  But let’s say it happens. Will the Bills fan base collectively freak out? Here’s some reasons to breathe at the idea of it happening....

 

1. The Bills likely won’t be trading up like they did for Sammy. Less risk, less assets given up. 

2. Sammy was expected to come in and be the #1 WR right away. And he actually was, and did well at it despite the unsettled QB situation. DK has #1 potential,  but he’s not going to be given that load right away. 

3. The QB situation with Allen is still developing but it’s not what it was when Sammy was drafted. Marrone never seemed to want EJ or seem committed to his development. He also never seemed to want Sammy, who he was livid they traded up for. He and Whaley butted heads over both of these players imo and has different direction in mind. I don’t believe that’s the case here at all. I think both McD and Beane wanted Allen, and are committed to him succeeding. And if they take DK, it’s because they both feel he’s an integral piece of building their core team. 

3.sammy’s best skill set in college was screens and jet sweeps which the Bills almost never ran (with him). DK’s best skill set mirrors Josh Allen’s strengths as a QB. He may be raw, but as he develops he can still excel at what he does best especially if there are other receiving options taking the pressure off. 

I also think that what happened with Foster last season could be a factor. They may think they can coach up his weakpoints so he's worth the risk with his high ceiling.

Edited by Warcodered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mojo44 said:

Completely disagree. He very likely is that player and there’s a good chance he will be available at nine.

Who was the last “plug and play 10 year pro bowler” available at 9? That isn’t how it works. He has some questions (arm length and athleticism) which make him an option at 9. He isn’t a flawless prospect by any stretch. Williams is an option at 9 but he is absolutely not a “plug and play 10 year pro bowler.” He’s closer to Jake Matthews as a prospect than Quentin Nelson. He’s a guy with a ton of experience that is a safe option. He will be a good player but he isn’t changing the landscape of anyone’s team. That last part, is, in many ways why he’s not an inspiring pick. The DL, or even Hock or Metcalf COULD transform this team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...