Who did the Browns rank as the #2 Qb in the 2018 Draft?

Based on revealed preference arguments:

Browns

Mayfield > Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson

Jets

Darnold > Allen, Rosen, Jackson

Bills

Allen > Rosen, Jackson

Cards

Rosen, Jackson

Clearly Dorsey liked Mayfield so high, he did not want to take Barkley at #1 and risk going to his #2 or #3 option. I was just wondering - has he ever come out sand said who he liked 2nd? I know there were reports he definitely did not want Darnold.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Browns

Jets

Bills

Allen > Rosen, Jackson

Cards

Rosen, Jackson

Clearly Dorsey liked Mayfield so high, he did not want to take Barkley at #1 and risk going to his #2 or #3 option. I was just wondering - has he ever come out sand said who he liked 2nd? I know there were reports he definitely did not want Darnold.

Why would he? He has zero incentive to reveal that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

why?

we're on to the 2019 draft....dig

I was thinking about the Allen vs. Darnold question. Personally, I would rather have Allen than Darnold. But I am biased. Just was wondering how much the relative merits of Allen vs. Darnold were discernable pre-draft. Sources connected to Bills and Jets would likely give biased answers. Teams not needing QBs would likely not have done a through enough evaluation. I thought of Dorsey as an unbiased source who also invested effort in evaluating all 4 QBs. Additionally he has turned out to be pretty good at QB evaluation with hitting on Mahomes and then Mayfield. That is why I was interested.

I would be interested in the Cards opinion as of April 2018 as well - though I think they likely preferred Darnold - since they were not aggressive in trading for Allen. However that could also be a function of the comfort they had with Bradford. Also they do not have Dorsey's track record in QB evaluation.

Sorry if yall find it uninteresting. 

1 hour ago, Warcodered said:

Why would he? He has zero incentive to reveal that.

But he also has zero incentive not to reveal that. I was hoping someone would ask him that in some interview.

1 minute ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I was thinking about the Allen vs. Darnold question. Personally, I would rather have Allen than Darnold. But I am biased. Just was wondering how much the relative merits of Allen vs. Darnold were discernable pre-draft. Sources connected to Bills and Jets would likely give biased answers. Teams not needing QBs would likely not have done a through enough evaluation. I thought of Dorsey as an unbiased source who also invested effort in evaluating all 4 QBs. Additionally he has turned out to be pretty good at QB evaluation with hitting on Mahomes and then Mayfield. That is why I was interested.

I would be interested in the Cards opinion as of April 2018 as well - though I think they likely preferred Darnold - since they were not aggressive in trading for Allen. However that could also be a function of the comfort they had with Bradford. Also they do not have Dorsey's track record in QB evaluation.

Sorry if yall find it uninteresting. 

as much as it may be interesting to one who likes to look back, in this situation it's pretty irrelevant to do so really since said players are positioned (with the mighty rosen still in question) with their respected teams and the 2019 draft is on the horizon.

apologizes if I offended you with my lack of interest.

Here are three articles I found:

https://nypost.com/2018/04/26/browns-take-baker-mayfield-with-no-1-pick-in-nfl-draft/

After weeks of Darnold being viewed as the almost certain top pick, there were reports the Browns had shifted their attention to Mayfield and Wyoming’s Josh Allen.

https://www.cantonrep.com/sports/20180430/browns-draft-one-of-dorseys-right-hand-men-explains-flip-from-darnold

“Here’s the honest to God’s truth,” he said. “From the start of this college football season to the end of the season, I had Darnold No. 1 and Baker No. 2, (Josh) Rosen No. 3, (Lamar) Jackson No. 4 and (Josh) Allen after that.

“On our way through everything, you couldn’t tell me Darnold wasn’t the best. I did all my evaluations of the season.

“Then comes the part where you meet them off the field. You watch their workouts. You watch everything. And Baker blew me away. Highly, highly intelligent. Highly competitive.

Dorsey supposedly was in love with Allen as a size-talent prospect along the lines of Ben Roethlisberger. Allen supporters said his supporting cast helped explain his poor completion percentage.

“Baker Mayfield lost two receivers and he was the same quarterback,” Highsmith said. “Josh Allen ... big arm ... he could throw the ball from here to the moon. When they have to make excuses ... why are they not completing passes? That’s a problem.”

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2018/04/josh_allen_and_baker_mayfield.html

A day before the draft, it could be down to Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield at No. 1 overall for the Browns, league sources tell cleveland.com.

The Browns have given strong consideration to all of the four top quarterbacks in the draft -- Allen, Mayfield, Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen -- but the choices seem to be narrowing to the cannon-armed passer from Wyoming and the Heisman Trophy winner from Oklahoma, the sources say.

Many experts still believe the Browns will draft Sam Darnold Thursday night, but sources say the Browns have cooled on the USC passer in recent days and that Allen and Mayfield have surpassed him.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

2 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Browns

Jets

Bills

Allen > Rosen, Jackson

Cards

Rosen, Jackson

The Bills order was Allen-Darnold-Mayfield-Rosen-Rudolph & Lauletta according to the leaked photo that I copied from the thread on Bills furious...  

default_profile_bigger.png !@#$ @insider_bills
Follow Follow @insider_bills
More

@Schopptalk @Bulldogwgr @NateGearyWGR alleged Bills QB rankings posted on whiteboard at OBD. Shown to me by blowhard Bills employee at Founding Fathers last night. Photo evidence of his employee badge as verification

DaH-GUpXkAEixJ_.jpg
DaH-GVFUMAAtP7E.jpg

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I remember the reports around draft day being that Browns were either taking Allen or Mayfield. Still, that could have been a smokescreen knowing that the Bills really liked Allen and could give up some really good picks for the #1 spot. For the record, I think we got the best one. 

I think it is clear that Allen, Mayfield, and Darnold were the top 3 prospects to most organizations, Rosen was in a tier below (Which is not necessarily a knock on Rosen who would probably be a top 2 QB in most draft classes, that speaks to the strength of the draft class.) Jackson was then far below Rosen (and I think the knocks on Jackson were a little bit biased but he had his flaws.)

2018 might go down as one of the better QB draft classes in recent memory and the Bills just might have gotten the best out of the bunch. 

47 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Peter King said multiple times in his columns that he wouldn’t be surprised if Dorsey took Allen number 1.

So there’s that.

I agree. Again, A big reason as to why "someone" leaked Allen's inflammatory high school tweets. Allen was looking like the #1 overall days before the draft and the release of those tweets killed a lot of interest from some of those teams as they didn't want the controversy. 

I also think it somewhat killed the Jets interest in Allen (thankfully). and it might have helped convince the NY Giants that they wanted a RB at the #2 spot. 

The Bills were so lucky that they got Allen at #7 with the Broncos at #5 who wanted that DE Chubb. :doh: This off season they jettisoned Keenum and signed Flacco and STILL need a QB!

This year the Dolphins, Redskins, Bengals and the NY Giants will all be looking at QBs.