Who did the Browns rank as the #2 Qb in the 2018 Draft?

7 hours ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Peter King said multiple times in his columns that he wouldn’t be surprised if Dorsey took Allen number 1.

So there’s that.

Yup. The last three weeks or so there were a ton of leaks that Allen would be the pick. And yet the guy they really wanted ... not a word got out. A classic bit of draft misinfo.

Edited by Thurman#1

12 hours ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

I was thinking about the Allen vs. Darnold question. Personally, I would rather have Allen than Darnold. But I am biased. Just was wondering how much the relative merits of Allen vs. Darnold were discernable pre-draft. Sources connected to Bills and Jets would likely give biased answers. Teams not needing QBs would likely not have done a through enough evaluation. I thought of Dorsey as an unbiased source who also invested effort in evaluating all 4 QBs. Additionally he has turned out to be pretty good at QB evaluation with hitting on Mahomes and then Mayfield. That is why I was interested.

I would be interested in the Cards opinion as of April 2018 as well - though I think they likely preferred Darnold - since they were not aggressive in trading for Allen. However that could also be a function of the comfort they had with Bradford. Also they do not have Dorsey's track record in QB evaluation.

Sorry if yall find it uninteresting. 

But he also has zero incentive not to reveal that. I was hoping someone would ask him that in some interview.

You know what I like a out Allen? He has gone thru a difficult climb to the NFL much like Aaron Rodgers did. From community college to finally getting a scholarship from Wyoming. He breaks his collarbone in his first season at Wyoming then continues to grow. This kid handles adversity well and has a good head on his shoulders. He is athletic, intelligent, a leader, and has got the strongest arm in the NFL. Sure, he needs to work on his accuracy but he has been working hard with QB coaches. If he pulls it all together and our line gels then skies the limit with this kid! 

Edited by billsfan_34
  • Like (+1) 1

I heard this from Josh Allen's parents when we met them at the game in Green Bay this year. It was Arizona, not Buffalo, that had a deal to move up in the draft last year and pick up Josh. According them them the Arizona deal was in place with Denver, until the player they wanted fell, then everything changed. So that tells me where Arizona had him on their draft list. Take it for what it's worth.

• Thank you (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yup. The last three weeks or so there were a ton of leaks that Allen would be the pick. And yet the guy they really wanted ... not a word got out. A classic bit of draft misinfo.

Most likely this is the case, but King wasn’t basing it off of anything being said about the draft. He was basing it off of what he knows about Dorsey and how he operates.

And King isn’t some draft Twitter expert. He has a fairly decent resume and knows a few people. So I’ve heard...

7 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think it is clear that Allen, Mayfield, and Darnold were the top 3 prospects to most organizations, Rosen was in a tier below (Which is not necessarily a knock on Rosen who would probably be a top 2 QB in most draft classes, that speaks to the strength of the draft class.) Jackson was then far below Rosen (and I think the knocks on Jackson were a little bit biased but he had his flaws.)

2018 might go down as one of the better QB draft classes in recent memory and the Bills just might have gotten the best out of the bunch. 

I don't think that's all that clear.

The Jets are the one team that had the most clear ranking, as they told absolutely everything to Albert Greer. Every other team has leaks of varying degrees of believability.

We know the Jets had Allen #4. And Darnold #1. They would have picked Darnold if they'd had the #1 pick and were shocked that Cleveland didn't do so.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/05/16/new-york-jets-sam-darnold-2018-draft

"When the Jets dealt up to the No. 3 spot in the draft in March, they’d identified three quarterbacks—Darnold, Mayfield, and UCLA’s Josh Rosen—they were good with."

... and ...

"APRIL 8, 2018

"The final set of draft meetings is underway, and it’s time for scouts to present their background on players. Three stand out on the Jamal Adams level: Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley. Zach Truty, the national scout, has Mayfield. Shields, the area scout, has Darnold, Allen and Rosen. He’s written up 320 players in the 2018 draft cycle, but spent about 20-25% of his time over the last year on those three. 

"The quarterback the Jets believe they won’t get stands out to everyone in the room, along with the quarterback they would wind up never having a shot at.

"The grading scale goes to 9. Truty’s report marks Mayfield a perfect 9—exceedingly uncommon—as a teammate, leader and worker, but has lower grades elsewhere on him. Shields has Darnold in the 8s across the board—in football character, family background, personal character, off-field, work ethic, coachability, accountability, leader by example, vocal leader, physical toughness and mental toughness."

7 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

I agree. Again, A big reason as to why "someone" leaked Allen's inflammatory high school tweets. Allen was looking like the #1 overall days before the draft and the release of those tweets killed a lot of interest from some of those teams as they didn't want the controversy. 

I also think it somewhat killed the Jets interest in Allen (thankfully). and it might have helped convince the NY Giants that they wanted a RB at the #2 spot. 

The Bills were so lucky that they got Allen at #7 with the Broncos at #5 who wanted that DE Chubb. :doh: This off season they jettisoned Keenum and signed Flacco and STILL need a QB!

This year the Dolphins, Redskins, Bengals and the NY Giants will all be looking at QBs.

My take (some with intel, most with reading between the lines of how the teams acted in the run up to and on draft night):

The Browns had genuine interest in Mayfield, Allen and Darnold. But from the Combine interviews onwards Baker was their guy.

The Giants were always going running back. The whole way through the process. At no stage in the 2018 draft were the Giants taking a Quarterback.

The Jets I believe had Darnold #1 and Allen #2 and I believe that they were planning to draft Josh Allen because they didn't think Darnold would get there.

The Broncos were also never going Quarterback. Elway is gun shy because his two previous attempts (Osweiler and Lynch) have been two of the biggest busts in recent years.

The Bills were all in on Darnold and Allen. If both were off the board they'd have gone in another direction with their 1st pick and taken Mason Rudolph later.