QB Wonderlic Scores 2018

AtlBills

39 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wait.  I forgot.  You played football before and date a lot of girls.

I'm sorry for pointing out how wrong you are.  Mea culpa.

He’s still waiting for his man crush, EJ Manuel, to come back and rescue the franchise...

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Nobody took the Wonderlic seriously enough 35 years ago. But things have a changed a bit now. So Kelly & Marino probably underrated since they did not have / bother with the professional prep these athletes get these days. 

I have no trouble with Marino being that un-bright, his panel appearances are pitiful.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Nobody took the Wonderlic seriously enough 35 years ago. But things have a changed a bit now. So Kelly & Marino probably underrated since they did not have / bother with the professional prep these athletes get these days. 

Ever listen to Kelly and Marino speak? 15 is spot on.

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Forward Progress said:

For those who want to know all of the scores...

NFL Wonderlic Scores

I have pulled out a list of QB's for the sake of reference:

Player Score Position
Ryan Fitzpatrick 48 QB

The most important question that this list settles for me is that Aunt Becky didn't get Fitzmagic into Harvard ?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Look at the intelligence of my QB. The sheer acumen of my QB. The brain capacity of my QB. The intellect of my QB. the aptitude of my QB. The precociousness of my QB. The IQ of my QB.

And he can farm, also.......

11 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m surprised Young was only 33 and Losman was as high as 31.

Anyone know why Vince Young has two scores, 15 and 6?

He got 6 the first time.  He re-took it to prove he are smarter.  Then he announced a pick at last year's draft and didn't know how to pronounce, "Harold."  It's a lovely story, really.  Remember when the Buffalo Bills held a press conference to introduce him as the backup QB?  Good stuff.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, these aren’t related at all.  Jim Kelly got a 15.  Marino got a 16.  Fitz got a 48.

football intelligence is completely different than wonderlic “intelligence.”

Yes and no.

I think the job of the modern QB involves a lot of work off the field - ability to study and retain information, ability to recognize when the same pattern is being presented in different forms.  So from one POV, the Wonderlic score matters just because the QBs know it's on the menu.  Given that it's on the menu, a guy who has an adequate scholastic background consistent with a high school college-prep education and puts in some preparation should be able to hit in the mid-20s.

I would say in this day and age, a score of less than 25 would be a watchout - it would either mean the guy has a learning disability or a poor scholastic background, or just didn't prepare at all.  So if I were a team considering him, I would want to investigate very carefully and satisfy myself that the guy can actually do the kind of study and retention he needs.

Other than that, I'm not sure a higher score correlates with higher QB'ing ability since I would tend to agree that the type of thinking needed to nuke a test like that differs from the kind of on-field "see and react" a QB needs.  The thing that made me laugh was something someone with some UCLA "inside skinny" posted last year about Josh Rosen's attitude - that going in, from what he heard of the guy from people who had met him, he would expect him (Rosen) to have had the attitude that he's extremely intelligent so naturally he would have one of the very best Wonderlic scores, and then "this happened" LOL.  (and I do think Rosen has more potential and less poisonous attitude than sometimes painted, but Mr Smarty Pants did get thoroughly shown up on the Wonderlic by Our Own "Mr Cornfed" and Darnold).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

13 :lol:

The evil bot would get apoplectic any time you mentioned the 13.

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I’m surprised Young was only 33 and Losman was as high as 31.

Anyone know why Vince Young has two scores, 15 and 6?

Vince Young re-took it. If you add his two scores together he's still in the bottom 20% of the list. :mellow:

13 minutes ago, transient said:

Vince Young re-took it. If you add his two scores together he's still in the bottom 20% of the list. :mellow:

do they have Wonderlic Prep Courses that are honestly as useless as any other Prep Course for a test?

It is a benchmark,

Much like Speed for a WR.

I think I read that in today's NFL really the cutoff is 17.  Anything lower than that it is an indicator that there might be a problem there in terms of processing speed, etc.

And YES there will always be your statistical outliers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

With a complicated playbook (Rex D)  it's helps a lot to have the high wonderlic , good memory. I'm more in favor with a less complicated O and D. less mistakes that way.  That goes for OL scheme  after what Castillo did.

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

do they have Wonderlic Prep Courses that are honestly as useless as any other Prep Course for a test?

Can you pay for someone take  a Wonderlic for you just like how those rich people paid millions to get their kids scores fabricated in that Admissions Scandal