Sign in to follow this  
YoloinOhio

Bills showing strong interest in Oklahoma G Dru Samia

Anyone who doesn’t start off their scouting report by saying that guard Dru Samia plays with a mean streak has already failed to pinpoint his most dominant trait. He is an alpha who doesn’t back down from anyone. Sure, the entire line plays with that mentality, but Samia is on another level. He is probably the least-heralded guy on the Sooners’ offensive line, but when you turn the film on he stands out, and it starts with his attitude. He plays as if he hates anyone in an opposing jersey and will punish them through the whistle. 

• Like (+1) 9

Love this guy. Would prefer to draft a tackle but I’m ok with him.

Looks like a thug. I approve.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Where's he projected to be drafted?

What is his estimated draft round?

2 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

What is his estimated draft round?

Mid to late

Posted (edited)

Use one of our 4 or 5's unless we use them to trade up. Really feel like we'll only draft 7 or maybe 8 players. 

Edited by qwksilver

I am all about attitude! especially with big uglies! I am down for anyone who plays like jerk on the line... at least you know you aren't getting a Jonathan 'I'm getting bullied' Martin!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, qwksilver said:

Use one of our 4 or 5's unless we use them to trade up. Really feel like we'll only draft 7 or maybe 8 players. 

That’s about where I would expect him to go. He’s not position versatile or super athletic which are things that push up Guards. He played a little RT but he’s primarily  a RG - which the Bills  coincidentally really need.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mid to late

Perfect. They had me at 'mean streak'.

I'm no draft/scouting expert, but I also like the sound of "unheralded" until you "turn on the tape".

The following line is all I've ever wanted out of a football player: "He plays as if he hates anyone in an opposing jersey and will punish them through the whistle. "

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Perfect. They had me at 'mean streak'.

I'm no draft/scouting expert, but I also like the sound of "unheralded" until you "turn on the tape".

The following line is all I've ever wanted out of a football player: "He plays as if he hates anyone in an opposing jersey and will punish them through the whistle. "

Yup... That is football. Nuf sed

• Like (+1) 1

Seems a bit light in the pants (304 lbs) for an OG....

25 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Mid to late

Him and AJ with both 4's? I would be really happy.

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Seems a bit light in the pants 

Would you tell him that?

• Haha (+1) 2

Love Samia with our 3rd.  Would come in and compete at one of the guard spots. 

If he is still there with our second Round 5 pick then sign me up..

• Confused 1

Seems like "mean steak" has characterized every FA signing, and heading towards draftee. I like that, we need a line full of Richie Incognito types

• Like (+1) 3

I think he goes in the 2nd or 3rd at the end of the day and I would love for him to be one of our picks. 

I almost wonder if this is a smokescreen though because they’re literally exposing that they’re interested in him with every possible opportunity. 

Not surprising...he's got a very similar play style to Feliciano, who coach Johnson really likes.

• Like (+1) 1

I find this quote very interesting:

Anyone who doesn’t start off their scouting report by saying that guard Dru Samia plays with a mean streak has already failed to pinpoint his most dominant trait. He is an alpha who doesn’t back down from anyone. Sure, the entire line plays with that mentality, but Samia is on another level. He is probably the least-heralded guy on the Sooners’ offensive line, but when you turn the film on he stands out, and it starts with his attitude. He plays as if he hates anyone in an opposing jersey and will punish them through the whistle. 

Over the past year, there have been a half dozen times or more when McDermott or Beane or both (I don't recall who said it or when) said something about the Buffalo Bills are going to be known as a team that (and I'm paraphrasing) punishes people, that doesn't back down from anyone, that outhits every team in the league.  They've said things like that.  

Then you see little things, like the Bills are interested in this guy, whose most outstanding trait is that he has that attitude.  You see most many guys from last season's offensive line gone, but Teller, whose physicality stands out, remaining on the roster.   You see guys like Duke Williams and Cole Beasley signed, who have demonstrated that they like to hit people and who play with an edge.   When I watched Duke Williams video, his intensity reminded me of Hines Ward.  

Among the things that I like about McBeane is that this point is not lost on them.   You can scheme all you want, you can collect superstar talents, you can talk about teamwork, togetherness and the process, but if you aren't going to hit people, block ferociously and tackle relentlessly, you aren't going to win consistently. 

I think that's a point that's often overlooked about the Patriots - they are physically tough.  They hit all the time, and they tackle effectively.   One of the things that made the Super Bowl so competitive this year was that the Rams came out prepared to hit the Pats as hard as the Pats hit them.   It was a dog-fight from the beginning.  

I like that McBeane seem focused on this attribute as they assemble the team.  

14 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Not surprising...he's got a very similar play style to Feliciano, who coach Johnson really likes.

Oh, yeah, that was one of the things that's been mentioned about Feliciano.   His signing was one of the recent times this notion - intense physicality - was mentioned.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Please be available in the 4th or 5th.