Gettleman - idiot or genius?

eball

1 hour ago, eball said:

I'm leaning towards idiot, but I guess his new "plan" is to tank this season and go after the QB next year.  But wow.  Think where the Giants might be if they had drafted a QB last year as many felt was the prudent move?  And how do you think Eli feels at this point?  "Thanks for the two Super Bowl wins, man -- now get out there and get your ass kicked while we tank for Tua!"

Giants in full rebuild mode now.

On the plus side, the Bills play the Miami Tankers twice and the Giant Tankers once this year!

Ask this question once again next year.

I think the NYG are getting rid of the malcontents. We make fun of McDermott and his "process" but the reality is every team in the NFL has a process.  

Just like all of our workplaces, sometimes there are personalities that are toxic and divisive that regardless of production, just have to go.  

IMO, I think a growing number of teams would rather suffer the losses than put up with "personalities".  They aren't worth the trouble.  

• Like (+1) 1

Pure speculation on my part here...

Remember that video that came out of Odell in bed with that girl and the white powdery substance last off season?  It might be that Odell has not been doing well in his personal life and the Giants see trouble ahead and would rather get something for him instead of nothing if he goes off the rails. You would think they'd have the inside track on what Odell has been up to this off season.  No one can deny his ability, but he really doesn't seem to be a very stable individual.

They traded a generational talent less than a year after signing him to a huge contract with a $20 million signing bonus, plus his $1.5 million salary, and now they will have to eat another $16 million in dead cap space this season which basically means the Giants paid Odell $37.5 million for one year of service.  It's crazy!  What did they get in return for the trade?  A 1st, a 3rd, and a safety.  It makes no sense at all from a football or financial point of view.

I think the easy answer is to say that Gettleman is just an idiot, but the owner also needed to sign off on this move.  Is John Mara an idiot too?  I just don't know.  They had to know they were going to get nuked by the Giant's fanbase and New York media for this move.  Where is the upside?  There just isn't any.

I just wonder if there are some other issues at play that we don't know about.  Are the Giants afraid that Odell is going to self destruct?

Edited by Inigo Montoya

45 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I think he just did what had to be done.  Maybe some day fans will realize what teams have, great talent at WR does not equate to a winning team.  Arguably the two best WR's in the league have been traded not because of cap issues, or that there is better talent coming up or anything.  They were traded because they are selfish pricks and that is not how you build a winning team.  If OBJ was a professional he would still be in NY.   You have to remove the cancer in your locker room to move forward sometimes.

Agree, but then why throw $95M at him a few months ago, then ship him to Cleveland?

I’m leaning IDIOT.

• Like (+1) 1

Idiot.

Peter King had a superb part in his FMIA column this week highlighting how most of the best teams are built through their draft classes and the guys who were drafted 3 - 7 years earlier are the core for the team. The Giants from 2010-2016 have exactly one player now left that was drafted in the top 3 rounds after ODB and Collins leaving. By comparison Eagles and Seahawks two successful teams during the last decade each have 9 players out of 19 and 21 drafted. That is 9 starters per team, that is how you build your roster. Additionally the contract he gave is like a massive anvil to the rosters cap situation at this point.

If I was a Giants fan I would be despondent because you should want ODB, Evan Engram, Collins, and Barkley as part of your core moving forward and adding a QB like Hawkins would give you a strong foundation for the next decade. Instead they nuked that and basically are an expansion team with a stud RB who now is a waste in a sense because you are 2-3 years before competing.

If they didn't want to keep OBJ long term then he was smart.  By giving him a long term contract it greatly increased his trade value.  If the original plan was to keep him then he's an idiot.  The spent a lot on his signing bonus and got nothing out of the money.  Supposedly OBJ is already unhappy with his contract.  If so, this could have caused the trade.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bills2ref said:

Idiot without a doubt. Hitching his wagon to an aging Eli and not drafting Darnold Allen was his first mistake. I don’t care if Saquon is the best running back in NFL history, the positional value just isn’t there. Could have easily took a Sony Michel or Nick Chubb and had Darnold Allen. Trading OBJ was idiotic as well. Their new QB (Haskins?) was plug and play, set up for success with a good RB, WR and TE. Now that WR corps is awfully pedestrian. It can be cliche to say this, but, if he passes on a QB at 6 this year he needs to be fired on the spot. 

Fixed for you ?

Edited by zevo
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, dlonce said:

Gentleman made a great move.

Receivers don’t win you many games,if any and the Giants are obviously in rebuild mode.

People sure do fall in the media hype track. Media has made OBJ into a superstar. He’s not worth the money or draft picks Cleveland just gave.

I can see why Cleveland did it, it makes them relevant in the eyes of fans and media. Hell, I just heard they are now considered Super Bowl contenders, and that’s a huge LOL.

its not true,  but people will never believe it because they are influenced by media.

This^^  He may have been great ( I think over rated) but he didnt win them anything substantial and I think he was trying to muscle his way out of NY just like AB.  If a diva starts sniffing around might as well ship him asap.  Its just weird trying to leave NY to be with your buddy in Cleveland

1 hour ago, dlonce said:

Gentleman made a great move.

Receivers don’t win you many games,if any and the Giants are obviously in rebuild mode.

People sure do fall in the media hype track. Media has made OBJ into a superstar. He’s not worth the money or draft picks Cleveland just gave.

I can see why Cleveland did it, it makes them relevant in the eyes of fans and media. Hell, I just heard they are now considered Super Bowl contenders, and that’s a huge LOL.

its not true,  but people will never believe it because they are influenced by media.

How is it not true? Potentially elite QB. Elite pass rusher(s). Elite CB. Top 5-10 oline. Elite RB. Elite WR Corp. Potentially signing an elite safety, and Damarious Randall was really good last year too. The Browns need another LB, and another CB, and depth on the lines.

It's not just the media. Dorsey has built a extremely good team. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Agree, but then why throw $95M at him a few months ago, then ship him to Cleveland?

I’m leaning IDIOT.

Yeah I guess I was not considering that with my response.  My guess is when they signed him there were hoping his behavior would change and it probably has not.  It was easier to trade him with his contract though.

2 minutes ago, cle23 said:

How is it not true? Potentially elite QB. Elite pass rusher(s). Elite CB. Top 5-10 oline. Elite RB. Elite WR Corp. Potentially signing an elite safety, and Damarious Randall was really good last year too. The Browns need another LB, and another CB, and depth on the lines.

It's not just the media. Dorsey has built a extremely good team. 

On paper you are right, we will see if they win.   

• Like (+1) 3

Idiot for sure.  His moves have been head scratchers to say the least...  They sold everyone last April on the fact that they were going to draft Barkley because they were "reloading" and have Eli, so it was time to try and win now.  So they drafted a running back 2nd overall when your team has a QB that has been done for 5 years and is running on fumes...  Then this year they trade away a top 5 WR who is in his prime.  Gettleman has no idea what he is doing, trying to win now, trying to win later, trying to never win, he's a wreck.  Thankfully we have one of the top GM's in the league and we ended up finding our QB partly due to the poor decision making of Gettleman last year, which pushed QB further down the draft board.

• Like (+1) 2

They are going to be looking at year 4 or 5 of Barkley's career before they have a real team around him, which can be ancient in RB years.  Last year wasn't just passing on Darnold / Allen, they also passed on the trade package they could have gotten for the pick.  Considering Beane traded all 53 / 56 / 65 in moves up and people in the know suggested Darnold was above Allen on our board, I'd have to believe something like 12 / 53 / 56 / 65 / 2019 1st was at least mentioned at some point.  

Taking Barkley at #2 was an epic miscalculation on how much Eli had in the tank and how much the team was built already.

• Like (+1) 1

Well, right now would you rather have Josh Allen/Sam Darnold going into their second year with Nick Chubb and Odell Beckham in their offense, or Eli Manning with a good running back and no start receiver?

sont get me wrong, Odell is an idiot and it won’t be long before he blows up. That being said, trading him wasn’t the problem- it was the song and dance and insisting that they were good and weren’t trading him. 

• Like (+1) 1

He's a massive idiot. Why would you pay him a $20M signing bonus just to ship him out of town months later?

Cleveland is basically getting OBJ for 5yrs $75M with only $19M GTD. That's insane. It's $15M AAV.

1 hour ago, mattynh said:

I think he just did what had to be done.  Maybe some day fans will realize what teams have, great talent at WR does not equate to a winning team.  Arguably the two best WR's in the league have been traded not because of cap issues, or that there is better talent coming up or anything.  They were traded because they are selfish pricks and that is not how you build a winning team.  If OBJ was a professional he would still be in NY.   You have to remove the cancer in your locker room to move forward sometimes.

Steelers and Giants are going to suck balls without their all-pro players.