Matt Parrino (article) - 10 potential outcomes for Bills at No. 9

PIZ

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I like #5. Draft Metcalf at 9.

I want to see him at the combine.  If he displays flexibility, burst, speed, to me you take him at 9.  But I don't think the Bills will.  I think Beane will be more in the mindset of when he was an understudy with Dave Gettleman.  It will be a trench player, whether that is edge or interior on defense, which is more than likely, or OT.

43 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I like #5. Draft Metcalf at 9.

Metcalf is a much better athlete than he is a WR. I don't want to spend a first rounder on a guy who can only run a partial route tree, just because he's fast & jacked. His game film is pretty "meh".

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I firmly believe that there won't be a QB that any team will want to trade up for at #9, so any discussion of a trade down that includes the team trading up for a QB is pretty much nonsense IMO.  

I agree on this. If teams are gonna end up trading up for one of the two possible quarterbacks I would expect they’ll jump higher than 9 for sure. 

I firmly believe that there won't be a QB that any team will want to trade up for at #9, so any discussion of a trade down that includes the team trading up for a QB is pretty much nonsense IMO.  

I completely disagree. Drew Lock is the obvious candidate, and getting ahead of Denver is critical to any team wanting him

In today's NFL if you dont have a franchise QB you have to reach in the draft to roll the dice to get one

I will bet on it. At minimum one QB goes before 9 possibly 2 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, DJB said:

I will bet on it. At minimum one QB goes before 9 possibly 2 

I'm guessing 3.  If a team is really interested on getting a franchise QB, they're going to be looking to leap over both the Giants & Jacksonville.  The only thing that changes that is if Jacksonville signs Foles.  

I'm going to go out on a limb & say the Giants may even trade down themselves, since I'm predicting one way or another the QB they draft will be Daniel Jones.  They'll have to decide if it's worth the risk of trading down or just staying put & drafting him.  

Quoting DJ from the article: 

"Hockenson is a fun player to watch. In the passing game, he fights through press coverage and will stair-step defenders (fights through pass coverage and understands how to attack the leverage of defenders) down the field, helping to create some separation on crossers and deep-over routes. He tracks the ball naturally and his high-point skills are on display in the red zone. He is very physical after the catch and possesses adequate speed. Hockenson is at his best in the run game. He ragdolls defensive ends and linebackers. He had multiple pancake blocks in every game I studied. Overall, Hockenson is one of the best blocking tight ends I've ever evaluated and he is dependable in the passing game. He's a Day 1 impact player at the next level."

There are a lot of McBeane traits in that assessment:

smart

fights
physical
blocks
dependable
Makes a ton of sense. Every other guy he listed has some sort of flaw, with big upside. This guy has big upside without the big flaws. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

So you're saying that your opinion is worth more than that of others

There was a time when Oliver looked like nothing more than a pipe dream. Now? You never now. I realize there are some questions (weight, injury, “the blowup”, etc.) but it’s hard to ignore the way the guy looks on the field. There should be an elite player there at #9. This can’t happen soon enough!