Bills fans and why the love of Blue Collar teams?

Jrb1979

5 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Buffalo fans and the organizations like blue collar because it's safe. Coaches and GMs can buy time and stay in their jobs longer because they can talk about always building for long term success. Fans can stay in their safe space, dreaming about a parade that Mom and Dad didn't get to see, while muttering about how rigged everything is. 

There are no expectations or standards.

The Sabres GM came out yesterday and said things like "it's hard to win in the second half because teams are trying harder" (in 2019 that's a valid reason is his mind), that leading the league in points for one day in November was an "accomplishment", that he sees "progress" despite 11 total wins since the 10-game win streak, and that patience is key because "we're a young team". 

Any reason Buffalo organizations can find to lower the bar and act like acquiring Draft Picks is the goal.....

You're one of the very few people around here who is willing to tell it like it is and isn't here just to shout "Go Bills" as part of a fan booster club.

You won't be very popular here at all.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

You're one of the very few people around here who is willing to tell it like it is and isn't here just to shout "Go Bills" as part of a fan booster club.

You won't be very popular here at all.

you two sound like you'd make a cute couple.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

That works really well when you imagine it being read it in the TMNT’s Michelangelo - ‘surfer dude’ voice.

12 hours ago, teef said:

i'm going to spend the rest of the day speaking in this voice.  i don't care what it does to my reputation.

tumblr_n5b3mkHQ3s1rx3q30o1_500.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone defined “blue collar”? 

Guys who work hard, put their heads down and take care of business? Team first guys? Guys who buy into what the team is trying to do and bust their tails to get it done? Guys who would rather win than have big stats? 

Do ANY fans NOT like that stuff? Is this us having a complex again? 

Serious question. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 2/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, Jrb1979 said:

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

Why do you fans love the Blue Collar team?

I don't give a flying ***** what color his collar is.  I don't want a player like Antonio Brown because he is an ego-centric, 'me-only', stats-prioritizing, locker room cancer, piece of sh-- who is demanding huge money and even if he gets it will start pouting it's not enough about six weeks later.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/20/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jrb1979 said:

After reading many threads on here I have come across a lot of Bills fans seem to love a blue collar type team. A lot seem to be against having an Antonio Brown type player cause they don't fit the Buffalo blue collar type. 

Why do you fans love the Blue Collar team?

Another great read this AM .. so let me take a crack at this ... I'll say Blue Collar and "Small Market" are interchangeable as someone referenced all the steel mills are gone nowadays.  We are the underdog vs. the big budget larger market teams ... we play outdoors in the elements in December like football was intended vs. climate controlled domes.  I'd also say given the economy (though improving) of Buffalo vs. other NFL towns our average Season Ticket Holder may .. just maybe have a lower annual income  than other larger NFL markets .. nothing wrong with that .. but maybe that's a better measure of the new "blue collar" in today's world. 

Bottom line ... its the best fanbase in football ... and as such though the new self proclaimed "Mr. Big Chest" has talent ... some on this board may not like his style.  But he's looking to cash in one last time and I believe on the downside and do we want to pay up at this stage of his career.

On 2/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Look at ddaryl throwing personal insults, around joined by teef.

Another reason I can’t stand our franchises, our fans. The loser mentality is baked into everything they do. 

Someone gives an opinion to the OP and they are chastised because they don’t palm-palm waive and hopelessly defend these franchises. But this is Buffalo, a place where you simply have to be grateful for a team, and not have any standards.

ROTFLMAO!!!!  Our teams have sucked for a combined 108 seasons. 0 championships. It’s so funny, lol, giggles ddaryl.

If you can't stand the Buffalo franchises .. why are you on this board? 

Good to know that all of us Buffalo fans ... have a "loser mentality baked into everything we do" ... sorry I don't buy into the Charlie Sheen mentality that you obviously have

image.png.a7b993fe2ce5104945ceb19a8dd0303d.png

On 2/20/2019 at 4:51 PM, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'll address all of this. 

1. Congratulations to the Bills, who the 1964 and 1965 AFL Championship, with 8 total teams, 54 years ago. 

2. Antonio Brown at 30 is a 4-time All Pro, 7x Pro-Bowler, has 837 catches for 11,207 yards and 74 TDs.  

Andre Reed retired at 36 years old, with 7x Pro Bowls, 951 catches for 13,198 yards and 87 TDs. 

One more season and Brown is on the door step of Reed's numbers, and one season past that he will pass Andre Reed is every major category.

He's not guaranteed, of course he could get hurt. But it's debatable. His peak is better. 

3. They are devoid of talent. The Sabres have one-line. The Bills best offensive player is Robert Foster?

Outside of Trey White and Jack Eichel, what do you have? Dahlin and who?

I liked Kyle Williams too. 

It's shame he never got a chance to play for a good team so that he could see the Playoffs. It's a credit to him for the loyalty he showed to the Bills, but it most certainly capped his career. 

AB is a tremendous talent on a team where the inmates run the asylum.  Weird that McD and Tomlin were at William and Mary together because their leadership styles are very different. 

It bears mention that Pittsburgh has not won a SB with AB on the roster.  And only made one when he was a non factor as a rookie with 16 catches.  

One thing that's not being said here is does McD have a portal via Tomlin to this guy's psyche.  I don't believe the Bills have a coach who spent time in Pitt and could vouch for AB.

The recent legal troubles and hands on women things AB has been part of maybe enough for a team with a woman CEO to say pass.  

And speaking for this fan - son of immigrants who went to work, paid their bills, contributed to their community and put 9 of us through private education at great sacrifice - blue collar is who I am at the core.  Even with an MBA, successful career and different zipcode.  Do your job, be a good team mate, and don't cause trouble.

Brown to Bills is < 10% imho.  

Edited by freddyjj

10 hours ago, Augie said:

Guys who work hard, put their heads down and take care of business? Team first guys? Guys who buy into what the team is trying to do and bust their tails to get it done? Guys who would rather win than have big stats? 

Serious question. 

Sean McDermott thinks you do: 

"We play hard for a city that works hard. There’s a lot of heart on this football team. This win personifies the city of Buffalo. Blue collar and passionate.”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/22/sean-mcdermott-bills-home-games-nfl-week-7/

“I love the fire. He personifies Buffalo, right?” McDermott said. “He’s a hard worker, blue-collar kid and loves to compete"

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/26/sean-mcdermott-says-josh-allen-personifies-buffalo-bills/

Asked to elaborate, Murphy said: "What coach is looking for here as far as blue-collar guys, a scheme, guys that are passionate, trying to build a culture, kind of that tough, blue-collar mentality, winning, playing together, just competing."

https://buffalonews.com/2018/03/15/trent-murphy-looks-talks-the-part-of-a-mcdermott-co-fit/

It's not a bad thing per se that guys work hard and bring their lunch-pail. But when you think that you can out-culture 31 other teams in a Professional Sports league by showing up to meetings on time and studying tape really hard with average talents, that's where I think you have the same limited mindset as Dick Jauron. 

Where is the top flight talent going to come from? Where is that factored in? Enough Rudy Ruettiger's and Vince Papale's. 

It's not a coincidence that the last time the Bills were great, was when they had 4 HOF players on the team, with a HOF Coach, led by a brash QB who didn't even want to be here originally. 

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Sean McDermott thinks you do: 

"We play hard for a city that works hard. There’s a lot of heart on this football team. This win personifies the city of Buffalo. Blue collar and passionate.”

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2017/10/22/sean-mcdermott-bills-home-games-nfl-week-7/

“I love the fire. He personifies Buffalo, right?” McDermott said. “He’s a hard worker, blue-collar kid and loves to compete"

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/11/26/sean-mcdermott-says-josh-allen-personifies-buffalo-bills/

Asked to elaborate, Murphy said: "What coach is looking for here as far as blue-collar guys, a scheme, guys that are passionate, trying to build a culture, kind of that tough, blue-collar mentality, winning, playing together, just competing."

https://buffalonews.com/2018/03/15/trent-murphy-looks-talks-the-part-of-a-mcdermott-co-fit/

It's not a bad thing per se that guys work hard and bring their lunch-pail. But when you think that you can out-culture 31 other teams in a Professional Sports league by showing up to meetings on time and studying tape really hard with average talents, that's where I think you have the same limited mindset as Dick Jauron. 

Where is the top flight talent going to come from? Where is that factored in? Enough Rudy Ruettiger's and Vince Papale's. 

It's not a coincidence that the last time the Bills were great, was when they had 4 HOF players on the team, with a HOF Coach, led by a brash QB who didn't even want to be here originally. 

Well, THAT top flight talent all came in the draft. They were not flashy free agent signing. Who is looking for Rudy’s? I’m not. I’m looking for Bruce’s and Thuman’s in the draft. Despite an extremely small sample size, I like the way the current guys draft so far. 

I think that Blue Collar stuff is coach speak to puff up the fans as much as anything. Words to make us feel connected. About the only “truth” I can get out of the blue collar stuff is we want to be physical, run the ball and play solid D. But that’s not about the fans as much as it is playing in the weather up north. We need a modern offense, but also need to respect the realities of where we play, much like the Steelers. 

12 hours ago, KD in CA said:

I don't give a flying ***** what color his collar is.  I don't want a player like Antonio Brown because he is an ego-centric, 'me-only', stats-prioritizing, locker room cancer, piece of sh-- who is demanding huge money and even if he gets it will start pouting it's not enough about six weeks later.

It's funny, because you could have swapped out AB's name for Big Ben and your post still would read the same.  

19 hours ago, Augie said:

Serious question. 

Aug..this is the main reason why I want Hogan back.The guy rode his bicycle to practices even in the winter months..you can't teach that.

• Like (+1) 1