What Players are you focusing on in today's senior bowl

RPbillsfan

42 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

It was a snarky comment that came back to bite me considering the game is on NFLN. I generally wait for highlights on these type of games and/or opinions.

No worries, ESPN has earned it. I wish I had seen far more, but I fully admit there are others here who are FAR more qualified to judge. Every once in a while a guy really pops out. I remember seeing Curtis Martin (Blue/Gray game?) and saying WOW! 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, WMDman said:

hes handing them out when players make good plays

55 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

What's the deal with the Raiders stickers? Are they Gruden related?

I think the captains for his squad are the ones with the Raiders insignia, actually.

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

Who here loves Gruden? I’m on the not loving the little self-proving ego freak train. 

I don’t think he’s made for today’s coaching at all. I strongly believe he will continue to fall flat on his face in Oakland/Vegas. His contract was outrageous. I never consider him in same breath with top coaches past or present. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

I don’t think he’s made for today’s coaching at all. I strongly believe he will continue to fall flat on his face in Oakland/Vegas. His contract was outrageous. I never consider him in same breath with top coaches past or present. 

he reminds me of the mayhem chip kelly unleashed in philly.....but what happened just  a couple years later?..... i think chucky's gonna build from the inside out. i think he'd rather have 2 top ten picks  vs. 1 and the 2 late rounders. i think he's game on trading up......oh the scenarios....

mcbeane made moves with 2 late firsts last year and if he can get his hands on those 2 late oakland picks, i would expect to end up with an allen/edmunds combo again. i think he will use that extra 4th and those late round picks to make the most out of this draft.

Edited by billsredneck1

Just now, billsredneck1 said:

he reminds me of the mayhem chip kelly unleashed in philly.....but what happened just  a couple years later?..... i think chucky's gonna build from the inside out. i think he'd rather have 2 top ten picks  vs. 1 and the 2 late rounders. i think he's game on trading up......oh the scenarios....

Chip Kelly took over a 4 win Eagles team and won 10 games in each of his first two seasons.

He had a down year and got fired in a power struggle and two years later the Eagles won the SB with Kelly's former QB Nick Foles basically running Chip Kelly's offense in the playoffs and SB.

Old school Gruden has a lot more in common with McDermott philosophically than Chip Kelly............and his tear down looks a lot like what McBeane just did that everyone here loves so much.

Gruden has gotten rid of less good players than McBeane did and the guys he traded had more value...........but there is a lot more similarity between Gruden and what McBeane are doing that with what happened in Philly.

Will be interesting watching 1200 yard WR Bob Woods versus All CB Pro Stephon Gilmore in the SB next week.:flirt:

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Augie said:

Is that today???  I’m waiting for insightful reports from you guys!

Currently with the family at the Gaylord Resort in Nashville. Cool place! Thanks in advance to all your thoughts. Well, not ALL the thoughts, but the intelligent ones anyways.  ?

I have those sometimes.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Chip Kelly took over a 4 win Eagles team and won 10 games in each of his first two seasons.

He had a down year and got fired in a power struggle and two years later the Eagles won the SB with Kelly's former QB Nick Foles basically running Chip Kelly's offense in the playoffs and SB.

Old school Gruden has a lot more in common with McDermott philosophically than Chip Kelly............and his tear down looks a lot like what McBeane just did that everyone here loves so much.

Gruden has gotten rid of less good players than McBeane did and the guys he traded had more value...........but there is a lot more similarity between Gruden and what McBeane are doing that with what happened in Philly.

Will be interesting watching 1200 yard WR Bob Woods versus All CB Pro Stephon Gilmore in the SB next week.:flirt:

I wouldnt count Gruden out just yet.  There similarities end at running a tight ship.  Kelly and Marone actually remind me of one another.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

the comparison i made with mcbeane and kelly was mainly about the tear down. no one knows what will happen...we could sign ziggy ansah to a one or 2 year deal and get risner or facsimile along with harry or butler. it's anybody's guess as to what will happen, but one thing i do know is that this is the first year that i have been digesting draft prospects this hard before free agency. this team/ board is so addicting......

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I have those sometimes.

I wouldnt count Gruden out just yet.

Yeah if Mayock and he draft well they should be fine.

You could make a lot of the same excuses about what Gruden felt he had to do as those that McBeane made............except that in addition to the Raiders being concerned about giving out mega contracts to someone else's draft picks in Mack and Cooper.........the Raiders owner is actually relatively cash poor as opposed to the Pegs........ so pushing dollars down the road with big signing bonuses for those guys was perhaps not even an option.

When they get to Las Vegas..........the cash will be rolling in for Mark Davis..........and then when all these guys that Gruden has picked come up for renewal they will be in a much better position to pay them.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah if Mayock and he draft well they should be fine.

You could make a lot of the same excuses about what Gruden felt he had to do as those that McBeane made............except that in addition to the Raiders being concerned about giving out mega contracts to someone else's draft picks in Mack and Cooper.........the Raiders owner is actually relatively cash poor as opposed to the Pegs........ so pushing dollars down the road with big signing bonuses for those guys was perhaps not even an option.

When they get to Las Vegas..........the cash will be rolling in for Mark Davis..........and then when all these guys that Gruden has picked come up for renewal they will be in a much better position to pay them.

That is a very good point.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Who here loves Gruden? I’m on the not loving the little self-proving ego freak train. 

You ever met the dude?

I have, actually drank a few beers with him and wore his super bowl ring. Dude is a great guy. It’s just his style coaching is what you disagree with.

B34FC62C-68B4-420C-BC15-5AA985D52DA6.jpeg

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, noacls said:

^Gruden looks wasted. Lol

Nah, this was downtown Phoenix. It was at wine bar. We spent about an hour in there. It was him, a couple of his buddy’s, and that’s actually Suzy Kulbers head behind mine.  I remember, it was a Saturday night and Notre Dame was playing USC that night. I’m military and that’s all he wanted to talk about was what myself and my friends did in the military. He said he loves that stuff. We talked military and watched the game. I asked if I could hold his ring he was all about it, then the pic happened.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

You ever met the dude?

I have, actually drank a few beers with him and wore his super bowl ring. Dude is a great guy. It’s just his style coaching is what you disagree with.

B34FC62C-68B4-420C-BC15-5AA985D52DA6.jpeg

I try not to say I dislike any human being, but it's more than coaching style. I was in the Tampa market when he won a SB with Dungy’s team against his own offense, from which he got fired, I believe. The local former Bucs who still had locker room connections rarely had anything good to say about him to counter all the negative that was far more common.

I’m sure the guy can be a lot of fun. I’m also sure he was not widely beloved in Tampa during his time there. I’m sure he had fans, but there were MANY detractors. 

I also saw him one on one when our sons had multiple 7 on 7 tournaments at USF.  Most people are fun over beers. I have a different perspective, up close and personal, under a bit of pressure.  Ask Keenan McCrardale what he thinks. He’s not alone. 

Edited by Augie

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I try not to say I dislike any human being, but it's more than coaching style. I was in the Tampa market when he won a SB with Dungy’s team against his own offense, from which he got fired, I believe. The local former Bucs who still had locker room connections rarely had anything good to say about him to counter all the negative that was far more common.

I’m sure the guy can be a lot of fun. I’m also sure he was not widely beloved in Tampa during his time there. I’m sure he had fans, but there were MANY detractors. 

I also saw him one on one when our sons had multiple 7 on 7 tournaments at USF.  Most people are fun over beers. I have a different perspective, up close and personal, under a bit of pressure.  Ask Keenan McCrardale what he thinks. He’s not alone. 

I’m with you 100%. It’s him as a coach and business person folks don’t like.

I was hoping he didn’t go back to football cause he’s too upfront and bold. I agree, I don’t think he’ll be successful.

But I also don’t think he’s a bad person. One of those... we can hang out, just can’t work with him.

I wasn't focusing on anyone in particular. Tyree Jackson was solid. I wouldn't mind seeing us take him in the 5th and put him in the pipeline to develop behind Barkley and Wonder Boy in case Wonder Boy doesn't pan out. 

i kind of liked Doss.  Renfrow is a baller.  Not sure if he's big enough though.

as far as Gruden goes i thought the Raider sticker thing was funny. Added some fun and levity to a pretty boring game.  I remember a lot of people saying the same about Vermiel. The game had passed him by etc.  Worked out pretty well for Sant Louis. We'll see.

What is the significance of "North" vs " South" in this game? Washington State and Buffalo on South and Duke on North. Should just make it Chocolate vs Peanut Butter or Pieces vs Cups.  Would make as lot more sense LOL.

Edited by reddogblitz

12 hours ago, Augie said:

1) He was not fired in Oakland...........FAR FROM IT.......he was traded for a relative king's ransom of draft picks.   Gruden won a SB with a past-prime group that Dungy had underachieved with and then was hampered by that aged-out roster and not having all of those picks they traded for him.    I mean he turned Rich Gannon into an MVP candidate and then won a SB with a QB who was never even a starter for his college team(Brad Johnson).  He made some dumb mistakes with the limited draft capital he had as well and that tarnished his "elite" status considerably.   He surely isn't in the category of Belichick but he was the Sean McVay of that time.

2) Competitors are often abrasive in competition.  

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

1) He was not fired in Oakland...........FAR FROM IT.......he was traded for a relative king's ransom of draft picks.   Gruden won a SB with a past-prime group that Dungy had underachieved with and then was hampered by that aged-out roster and not having all of those picks they traded for him.    I mean he turned Rich Gannon into an MVP candidate and then won a SB with a QB who was never even a starter for his college team(Brad Johnson).  He made some dumb mistakes with the limited draft capital he had as well and that tarnished his "elite" status considerably.   He surely isn't in the category of Belichick but he was the Sean McVay of that time.

2) Competitors are often abrasive in competition.  

I fully admit to being biased when it comes to Gruden. I lived in the Tampa area when he was there, and his reputation in the community and especially with current and former players was not good, to say the least. (Not universal, by any means, but more negative than you’d expect.) However, that’s really no big deal to me either way. It’s grown men having differences.

I was much more bothered by the way he behaved around and toward 16-17 year old kids. Some of it I observed directly and some came from multiple reliable reports. I won’t go into details, but am just admitting that while I found him entertaining on TV, I wouldn’t want him coaching my team for football reasons.  I have a bad taste for personal reasons. I don’t wish him ill, or anything like that, but I found him to be a little too intense and critical to young kids he’d never even met. His position carried some weight, and these kids were just doing their best. They and their families didn’t need to be hearing that crap. You may respond with a “put on your big boy pants”, but it was generally felt that he was unnecessarily out of bounds. If you want to treat your kid that way fine. We don’t need an NFL coach trash talking to young kids on another team.  Be abrasive with adults who signed up for that.