Taking on Blake bortles contract?????

Heff

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

In that case, I’d do it in a heartbeat for a 2nd rounder and change.

That's why it would be a sellers market.........Jet's would probably do it for the Jags 4th.........they are a bit light on picks after trading up for Darnold.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865517/houston-texans-trade-brock-osweiler-2018-second-round-pick-cleveland-browns

Texans sent a Osweiler, a 2nd, and a 6th to Cleveland for a 4th round pick.  They saved $16m in cap space, Cle had more than enough room to take the cap hit and cut Osweiler and got the extra picks.

I say do it if Jax is desperate enough to duplicate this move.  We won't be spending all $90M this year anyway, so this is just free draft picks for cap space we were not gonna use this year anyway.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don’t want to sound rude on one of your first  threads

Blake Bortles.  

Why????   

He’s not that good.  And with a high salary not worth it 

Its not about the player.  Its effectively trading cap space for picks.  We'd cut Bortles as soon as possible.

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'm sure I read Jax would absord a 16 mil dead cap hit if he were cut. Are you sure about those numbers? 

Either way, my guess is we don't even approach the cap.

Jags would take a $10M dead cap hit.

It wouldn't be done for immediate savings it would be a "base salary" dump........basically gain them $13M in room in 2020.

As Bills fans we've kind've been put under a new version of Ralph/Littman's "cash to the cap" where Beane turned  his front pockets inside out to excuse not being more aggressive/successful in FA on accounta' the self-inflicted lack of hard cap room in 2018.

In reality you can just roll the money into future years.    

And not just the old way.....by signing bonuses and extra years that teams know the player will never see...........teams are now putting base salary guarantees in early years of contracts in place of bonuses.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

That's a different story if Cleveland wants Bortles, then fine, I don't care what Cleveland does.  I took the OP to mean Buffalo to bring in Bortles, which I would be against as it is totally unnecessary.

I was pointing out that he wouldn't have to fit in the QB room. Just cut him.

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18865517/houston-texans-trade-brock-osweiler-2018-second-round-pick-cleveland-browns

Texans sent a Osweiler, a 2nd, and a 6th to Cleveland for a 4th round pick.  They saved $16m in cap space, Cle had more than enough room to take the cap hit and cut Osweiler and got the extra picks.

I say do it if Jax is desperate enough to duplicate this move.  We won't be spending all $90M this year anyway, so this is just free draft picks for cap space we were not gonna use this year anyway.  

Jaguars would lose $10M in immediate cap space.

They aren't going to trade much to save the other $6.5M in guaranteed base salary.

Like I said I think the Jets would be all over that for the Jags 4th rounder.

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not sure why we need to even consider this.  For once in 20+ years the Bills are set in the QB department. Where would Bortles fit in? 

A 2nd round draft pick salary dump, then cutting him to the practice squad. He'll fit in perfectly

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I would rather increase our draft value by possibly trading down in the draft. We can finally have some options in free agency this year that can have an immediate impact.

What if we did both? 

His cap hit this year is 21 million with a 16.5 million dead cap hit plus a 5 million dead cap nxt year. Wtf?? Why would the Bills want to take on that stupid contract and bail out Jax? A team they may be competing with for a playoff spot. This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever and it's disturbing that this is a 'hot' topic. ?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Jaguars would lose $10M in immediate cap space.

They aren't going to trade much to save the other $6.5M in guaranteed base salary.

Like I said I think the Jets would be all over that for the Jags 4th rounder.

Im not familiar with the cap situation of Jags or Bortles contract.  So I was just commenting on the OP proposal.

11 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

His cap hit this year is 21 million with a 16.5 million dead cap hit plus a 5 million dead cap nxt year. Wtf?? Why would the Bills want to take on that stupid contract and bail out Jax? A team they may be competing with for a playoff spot. This makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever and it's disturbing that this is a 'hot' topic. ?

In a trade the original team takes some of the cap hit. 

Bills had $13m in dead space when trading Dareus

Edited by Not at the table Karlos

10 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

Because if you take Beane at face value and the Bills will be judicious in FA'cy, we're the perfect team to absord that hit for draft picks.

I fully expect Indy and the Jets to spend more money this offseason.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jack Daniels 

No.  For something as convoluted and pricey as that trade, it better be that ‘locked cabinet’ stuff that is hidden BEHIND the top shelf stuff.  $300 a shot.  Goes down as smooth as can be, and then kicks you in the head like a mule, and you don’t even care.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No.  For something as convoluted and pricey as that trade, it better be that ‘locked cabinet’ stuff that is hidden BEHIND the top shelf stuff.  $300 a shot.  Goes down as smooth as can be, and then kicks you in the head like a mule, and you don’t even care.

JW blue label

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The thing is Jax wouldn't save nearly that much.  If they don't want Bortles, they would basically save $6.5M in guaranteed salary over cutting him outright.

So you're suggesting they'd give up a 2nd round pick for $6.5M cap hit.

It was Osweilier's huge, fully guaranteed salary that spurred the Texans-Browns deal as I recall

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The thing is Jax wouldn't save nearly that much.  If they don't want Bortles, they would basically save $6.5M in guaranteed salary over cutting him outright.

So you're suggesting they'd give up a 2nd round pick for $6.5M cap hit.

It was Osweilier's huge, fully guaranteed salary that spurred the Texans-Browns deal as I recall

Just to clarify again...Im not suggesting anything.  The OP suggested a 2nd and 5th.  Like I said a few times now, I am not familiar with either Jags cap situation nor Bortles contract.  I just showed the article as to what happened with Houston and Cleveland.  

I personally thought it was crazy when I saw Houston do it and didn't think I would see someone else do something so extreme again.  So I dont expect this to happen, at least not for such rich compensation.  

My only dog is this discussion is that IF the Jags were willing to part with so much to get rid of Bortles, we should do it.