Taking on Blake bortles contract?????

Heff

I'll never forget our playoff game last year and the QB duel on display that day.

Bortles and Tyrod attempting to out-suck each other at every turn.

Has to be one of the worst quarterbacked games in recent playoff history.

It’s only $6.5M that the Bills would be on the hook for if they were to cut him before the start of the season....Jax still has $10M dead cap to eat..

That would probably buy you a fourth round at best IMO..

I would rather them spend the money in Free Agency as part of the overpayment to Paradis or Morse to convince them to come here ..

Edited by Aussie Joe

I am officially volunteeering to be on the Blake Bortles end of the Blake Bortles contract. Is there a form I fill out? How do we make this happen? Beers on me at the opener if you can guide me to a win here! 

Hard to believe so many people don’t get the idea and are so hung up on the player who doesn’t matter. 

The  jags are have a serious cap problem.

Lets say they have a chicken on the roster  (who yes is better than their current QB before someone says it) that they would give us along with a 2nd round pick to US to take his large contract off their hands then serve him to Lotulelei before camp. Buying a pick for cap space. Probably won’t happen, can see them cutting Dareus, but not crazy as they need more cap.

On 1/24/2019 at 7:03 PM, Mat68 said:

If Buffalo misses out on their prize FA targets I wouldn't hate it.  If Jax is as cap scrap as I assume it's a logical was to eat some cap space and get a pick out of it.  Basically, cut him and eat the cap hit for a day 2 p

Is this why we had to dump quality players and suffer through another losing season gaining 90 mil in cap space to trade 1/6 of it for a day 2 draft pick? Really?  

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Is this why we had to dump quality players and suffer through another losing season gaining 90 mil in cap space to trade 1/6 of it for a day 2 draft pick? Really?  

I expect them to bring in alot of new guys in FA.  Will it add up to 40, 50, 60,70, 80 mil?  Spend under 60 to 50 mil in cap hit Bortles is a legitimate move still a decent offseason and now are armed with another top 40 to 60 pick.  

10 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Bortles sucks. He's worse than Josh Allen. Why in the world would we even want him???

The point is the team would be buying draft picks and readily unloading Bortles.  I am not sure I understand the impact on the cap on the other hand.  So I am not sure what this would cost us in dollars.  The OP is not suggesting to my knowledge keeping Bortles around.

On 1/25/2019 at 5:15 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, it's complex and interesting.

The original post was a bit hard to read and a bit misleading.

From what I can figure out of Spotrac, $6.5 mill of his 2019 salary is guaranteed, so if we picked him up, we would be responsible for that guaranteed money. Jax is scheduled right now to have $16.5 mill of dead money if they cut him. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/blake-bortles-14412/

Trading him to us would I think save them only that $6.5 mill. The other $10 mill (of Jax dead money) is just the amortization of the signing bonus they paid him, and that can't be transferred to any other team in any way.

I may be missing something here but I think that's all they would save by trading him to us, $6.5 mill. And I can't see them giving much in picks to save that little. A 7th rounder maybe, if they're right up against the cap and desperate?

And yeah, we could cut him right away if we traded for him. This would mean we wouldn't have to pay anymore than the $6.5 mill. His unguaranteed salary is $16 mill, so if you kept him for the season he would cost another $9.5 mill. Can't imagine them paying that for Blake Bortles.

If I've missed something here, could somebody tell me?

EDIT: Ah, I see Hapless agrees with me about it being only $6.5 mill saved for Jax. I feel a bit safer in the opinion now.

So this is about us buying a 2 and a 5 from Jacksonville for 6.5M?

Edited by RochesterRob

overall success rate of 2nd round picks is 49%

Historic Success Chart

The numbers show us the following outline for finding consistent starters:

1st Round - OL (83%) LB (70%) TE (67%) DB (64%) QB (63%) WR (58%) RB (58%) DL (58%)

2nd Round - OL (70%) LB (55%) TE (50%) WR (49%) DB (46%) QB (27%) DL (26%) RB (25%)

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/2/20/8072877/what-the-statistics-tell-us-about-the-draft-by-round