Tremaine Edmunds: He was the worst player on the field Dec 23 (vs NE)

BADOLBILZ

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well..........yeah........there is a reason to give up on him at MLB............because you want a competent starting MLB.

This isn't the QB position where you have a 15% chance of finding one you can win with..............good MLB's are pretty easy to find.

Just put Edmunds somewhere that his lack of instincts for the MLB position don't hurt the defense and see how he does.

Unfortunately they probably wasted a season where they could have been honing his abilities as an OLB/edge rusher type..........but hey,  he's young, right?:flirt:

So you’re saying we gave up a premium pick to move up in the draft to select a player who it turns out might or might not have an actual position he can play in the NFL?  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Yes, he is definitely not a run plugging MLB.  Played outside in college, and headed back there I am guessing also.

I'd agree with this.  If McD keeps him at MLB out of stubborness, it will be another nail in his HC coffin...

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

I don't mind the trade-ups that much, but I agree that with the upcoming draft that we need to use all the picks we have.

I would much rather trade down in the next draft.

Our drafting overall has been pretty good the past 2 years and we've found solid players like Milano and Taron Johnson in the later rounds. That's why I don't understand their willingness to part with later picks for a couple of lottery tickets. Beane said after the draft they traded up for Edmunds because he was a lot higher on their draft board. And that's fine if the draft falls according to your draft board. Just don't put so much unearned faith in yourself that you're giving up chances on other players.

So many GMs make this mistake. Milano has been a better player than Edmunds and I don't think anyone would have predicted that, but smart GMs should know the draft is unpredictable. Edmunds wouldn't be a bad pick in a vacuum, if we end up moving him to OLB for example I wouldn't hate it, but giving up players for him makes it a bad value.

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

this was true.  and yet it is possible that he looked particularly bad this week because the Evil One designed plays to exploit his tendencies.

Edmunds has usually been bad.   Fairly consistent in that regard.

As others mentioned Milano was playing out of his head so he was covering Edmunds mistakes up a bit.

But mainly todays magnification of his issues was just because a solid running team chose to run at him and stuck with it.

They also intentionally swept all of that outside trash right at Levi Wallace and Levi was ATROCIOUS in run support in the first half.............but I am guessing his coaches called him out at halftime because Wallace actually started trying to tackle people in the second half.     

In his defense, the whole damn team is weak against the run.  The DEs can't contain or set the edge, the DTs don't establish the line of scrimmage, and our safeties just don't have the strength to take on bigger runners, receivers, and blockers.  

If Edmunds had an average run defense around him, I still think he's a good fit for what McD wants to do with his defense.  But you can't sell out against the run personnel-wise as much as the Bills seem to be doing.  

I do think Edmunds fills out his body a bit more and becomes stouter against the run both physically and (more importantly) mentally over time, but right now it's the weakness in his game. 

He may as well stop biting on play action and drop back every snap since he's so bad against the run right now anyway lol. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well..........yeah........there is a reason to give up on him at MLB............because you want a competent starting MLB.

This isn't the QB position where you have a 15% chance of finding one you can win with..............good MLB's are pretty easy to find.

Just put Edmunds somewhere that his lack of instincts for the MLB position don't hurt the defense and see how he does.

Unfortunately they probably wasted a season where they could have been honing his abilities as an OLB/edge rusher type..........but hey,  he's young, right?:flirt:

If they choose to move him to a different position, that suits him better, fine.

It worked for Aaron Williams when he went from Corner to Safety.

I'm just saying that there is no reason to give up on Edmunds entirely.

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

So you’re saying we gave up a premium pick to move up in the draft to select a player who it turns out might or might not have an actual position he can play in the NFL?  

It's possible but it's also possible he could be a tremendous pass rusher and those are second only to QB's in terms of positional value in the NFL.

And the thing about pass rushers is that they are almost always "made" thru training and experience.........pretty common for those guys to make huge strides 3-4 years into their careers.

MLB's usually show right away that they can do it.

Now maybe I'm wrong and Edmunds is an exception...........a guy without instincts for the MLB position who goes from awful to great when a "light turns on" in his head.....but MLB's aren't so valued that I could understand sacrificing games developing him there again next season.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Not sure anyone is.

I think the point of the thread is to consider giving up on Edmunds at the MLB position.

Trust me, there are people here who think Edmunds is hopeless, the same way they feel about Josh Allen.

Maybe not a lot of people, but enough.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He was awful today.

Worst player on the field.

He's been poor most of the season and I think today was on par with or as bad as he's been all season.

Critically poor instincts........big target who can't get off blocks.........not strong or physical enough.......poor leverage........doesn't move well thru traffic........doesn't make plays in a scheme where he should be making a ton of them.

He's young........yeah........but this isn't the QB position.......good MLB's are almost without exception tremendous right out of the gate.

Don't be surprised if he's at OLB next season folks.

Afraid to say I agree. 

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It's possible but it's also possible he could be a tremendous pass rusher and those are second only to QB's in terms of positional value in the NFL.

And the thing about pass rushers is that they are almost always "made" thru training and experience.........pretty common for those guys to make huge strides 3-4 years into their careers.

MLB's usually show right away that they can do it.

Now maybe I'm wrong and Edmunds is an exception...........a guy without instincts for the MLB position who goes from awful to great when a "light turns on" in his head.....but MLB's aren't so valued that I could understand sacrificing games developing him there again next season.

Anything might happen, but has Edmunds shown any ability as an edge rusher, even at Va Tech?  If not, it’s hard to put much faith in his ability to do it consistently in the NFL. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Thank you. Nothing against this kid but he’s not been out of position as much as he’s simply been blown off the ball. He’s simply not the right body type at this level of competition.

He'll have to put on weight and get stronger this offseason.  He has not finished the season strong.  He's not a MLB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TN Bills Fan said:

Edmunds was awful. He was bullied all day.  Think he will have to add muscle mass to play inside.  My guess is he'll put on 20 lbs. by preseason.

I was kind of surprised to see him listed at 250.  At his height, he doesn't just need more muscle (which I agree he needs and I'm sure he'll get), he literally needs to cultivate more mass.  His body is too long to play adequately against the run at 250. 

Ideally, long-term I seem him playing above 260, stronger than he is now, and just as fast as he is today.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

If they choose to move him to a different position, that suits him better, fine.

It worked for Aaron Williams when he went from Corner to Safety.

I'm just saying that there is no reason to give up on Edmunds entirely.

Saying people are giving up on him as a football player entirely is a straw-manesque attempt to defend him at best.

But you are right about the Aaron Williams comparison...............Williams was considered a safety prospect coming out of Texas but the Bills tried to jam him into CB and he was ATROCIOUS.   Even worse than Edmunds has been at MLB.   But AW was a very good safety.  Unfortunately he speared himself out of the league with his insistence on leading with the helmet.

• Like (+1) 2