Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
26CornerBlitz

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....  

145 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

    • Current Rule: Touchback for a Change of Possession
    • New Rule: Offense Retains the Ball at the Spot of the Fumble

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2018 at 01:15 AM

Recommended Posts

 

Touchback or keep the ball at the spot of the fumble?  The current rule of a touchback seems to be controversial these days with many claiming it's too punitive.  What say you?

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's really only one good reason to keep the rule and that's to prevent players from over-extending knowing there's no repurcussions for fumbling OOB in the EZ. I'd keep it, but I see both sides.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Down at the spot of the fumble is my opinion unless it is a flagrant throw of the ball. 

 

I honestly think it's dumb to penalize a player for trying to get a td in a league obsessed with scoring. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Down at the spot of the fumble is my opinion unless it is a flagrant throw of the ball. 

 

Oh great....even more judgement calls by the officials.  That always ends well.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spotted back at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if the ball didn't go into the end zone. So if it the fumble occurred on 2nd and goal, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of the touchback and play continues.  Basically fumbling into the end zone becomes a 10 yd penalty, but no replay of the down. Kind of like intentional grounding.

Edited by BillsRdue
  • Like (+1) 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be treated like a fumble anywhere else on the field. Placed at the spot of the fumble since a fumble can't advance the ball. Currently, it's way too much of a reward to the defense for allowing the other team to get to the goal line and then getting the ball on a fluke.

1 minute ago, BillsRdue said:

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spot at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if it didn't go into the end zone, so if it was 2nd and goal and the fumble occurred, its now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of a touchback. 

 

That would be better. Penalize the team that fumbled, but don't reward the other team.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MPT said:

Should be treated like a fumble anywhere else on the field. Placed at the spot of the fumble since a fumble can't advance the ball. Currently, it's way too much of a reward to the defense for allowing the other team to get to the goal line and then getting the ball on a fluke.

 

What about when a team fumbles the ball out of their own end zone?  Is a safety too punitive? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like that the defense can use the sideline and back of the end zone as their friend.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it with the offense, but place it at the 25 with loss of down.  

Still in field goal range, but not totally screwed like they are now.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

 

Oh great....even more judgement calls by the officials.  That always ends well.

When it comes to a fumble, I think it's easy to tell if someone meant to do it or not. 

 

Unless the rule changes that is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would anyone have an issue with this rule? Of all the ridiculous things that get called constantly and drive people crazy, this isn’t even a blip on the radar IMO. Change the asinine overtime rules. Or the way pass interference is called. Coaches challenges are ridiculous. Throwing a silly little red flag and losing them even when you are correct. Stop letting the clock run on penalties that get accepted. At the end of a game when a team is hurrying up and you have an accepted penalty on the defense, they still run the time off the clock. At that moment time is more important then the yards. There are dozens of rules that bother me more then the touchback.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hemma said:

Keep it with the offense, but place it at the 25 with loss of down.  

Still in field goal range, but not totally screwed like they are now.

This is exactly what a couple of friends and I just discussed Monday night when it happened. 

 

It think ruling it a TO is atrocious. Loss of down. Take it back to the 20. 

 

That’ll never happen. But I think it’s a good option 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

 

What about when a team fumbles the ball out of their own end zone?  Is a safety too punitive? 

 

I don't think so. Fumbling out of your own end zone prevents two scenarios: getting tackled for a safety anyway, or the other team recovering for a touchdown (meaning the other team would end up with at least two points regardless of the outcome). Fumbling out of your opponents' end zone prevents one scenario: you scoring a touchdown (meaning the other team saves 7 points and should count their lucky stars they get a crack at holding you at the spot of the fumble).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Why would anyone have an issue with this rule? Of all the ridiculous things that get called constantly and drive people crazy, this isn’t even a blip on the radar IMO. Change the asinine overtime rules. Or the way pass interference is called. Coaches challenges are ridiculous. Throwing a silly little red flag and losing them even when you are correct. Stop letting the clock run on penalties that get accepted. At the end of a game when a team is hurrying up and you have an accepted penalty on the defense, they still run the time off the clock. At that moment time is more important then the yards. There are dozens of rules that bother me more then the touchback.

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the clock stops on penalties in late game situations even if it would normally run such as a run play. Not 100 percent sure though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current rule doesn’t follow the spirit of the law to me. It should be the same as a fumble out of bounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let’s get into the mindset of the rules committee:  what outcome best benefits the New England Patriots?

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

I agree with the sentiment, but I'm pretty sure the clock stops on penalties in late game situations even if it would normally run such as a run play. Not 100 percent sure though.

What I’m saying, let’s say a play is run that takes 8 secs off the clock and they call defensive holding. They don’t put that time back on the clock. So on a penalty you essentially lost the time of a play and often didn’t get enough yards for it to even matter. After the play is over they should put that time back. Why punish the offense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, iinii said:

The current rule doesn’t follow the spirit of the law to me. It should be the same as a fumble out of bounds.

 

The goal line has all kinds of special rules, and with the biggest rewards come the biggest risks.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to see the offense keep possession but maybe treat it like a penalty and move the ball back to the 10 yard line but count the down. That would be a middle ground where there is a cost for having it happen but not the ultimate cost.

 

But then this begs the question. What do you do when the offense fumble the ball out of their own endzone? If we are  allowing them to keep posession when they fumble it out of opposition endzone, why do they lose possession when it happens at the other end? Whats the difference? If they keep possession on one end they should keep it at the other end...its the same play. 

 

Or maybe if the defense gets 2 points for the ball being fumbled out of the endzone in that direction, should the offense get 2 points if it gets fumbled out the other direction? 

 

In my mind its about consistency. If you change the rule one way where the fumbling team keeps possession then you necessarily need to change it so when it happens the other way the same rule applies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What I’m saying, let’s say a play is run that takes 8 secs off the clock and they call defensive holding. They don’t put that time back on the clock. So on a penalty you essentially lost the time of a play and often didn’t get enough yards for it to even matter. After the play is over they should put that time back. Why punish the offense?

Gotcha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

When it comes to a fumble, I think it's easy to tell if someone meant to do it or not. 

 

Unless the rule changes that is.

 

You're talking about a league that can't figure out what it means to ***** catch a football.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...