When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

26CornerBlitz

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

• Current Rule: Touchback for a Change of Possession
    • New Rule: Offense Retains the Ball at the Spot of the Fumble

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2018 at 01:15 AM

4 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

It's possible that a guy streaking toward the pylon/sideline would have a competitive edge knowing a fumble OOB wouldn't end the possession, but that's pretty remote the more I think about it.

In that situation maybe the player would consider it a "safety net" more than a competitive edge IMO.  

I mean you see guys going for dives into the endzone near the pylon with the current rule knowing full well they could lose possession if they fumble out of the endzone. 

Also to clarify, I'm not saying they get a free play out of it. The play happened, the down counts but they get the ball back. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BillsSB2020 said:

It's possible that a guy streaking toward the pylon/sideline would have a competitive edge knowing a fumble OOB wouldn't end the possession, but that's pretty remote the more I think about it.

Streaking as in ‘running swiftly’, or streaking as that fan in 2017?

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's a pretty ridiculous idea IMO.  Why should an offense be rewarded with points for making such a big mistake regarding the lack of ball security on a negative play?

Not really anymore ridiculous than saying if a team fumbles it our of their own endzone the defense gets 2 points and the ball but if the team fumbles it out of the opposing endzone they get to keep the ball at the spot of the fumble.

How do you have one rule for one endzone and another rule for the other endzone? At least my way brings consistency. And it could act as a punishment for the other team for allowing them to be so close to their own endzone that they were able to fumble it through there to begin with.

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Not really anymore ridiculous than saying if a team fumbles it our of their own endzone the defense gets 2 points and the ball but if the team fumbles it out of the opposing endzone they get to keep the ball at the spot of the fumble.

How do you have one rule for one endzone and another rule for the other endzone? At least my way brings consistency. And it could act as a punishment for the other team for allowing them to be so close to their own endzone that they were able to fumble it through there to begin with.

Because they are different circumstances that are fundamental to how football is played on every level with a 2 point penalty for a safety as the consequence for fumbling out of your own end zone.  That current rule is punitive to the offense as is the rule of fumbling out of the opponents end zone that you want to reward a do over for. 

42 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

The current rule is consistent - if you fumble OOB of your end zone - it s a safety and the defensive team gets the ball.  If you fumble OOB in the other end zone - again the defense gets the ball.  

The rules are actually consistent if the offense fumbles OOB in either end zone they turn the ball over to the defense.

The rule is fine for the limited number of times either occur.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Down at the spot of the fumble is my opinion unless it is a flagrant throw of the ball. 

I honestly think it's dumb to penalize a player for trying to get a td in a league obsessed with scoring. 

A flagrant throw of the ball is way too open to human interpretation, just like intentional grounding. I don't want another rule that can be unevenly applied put in place to benefit teams like the Patriots.

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

A flagrant throw of the ball is way too open to human interpretation, just like intentional grounding. I don't want another rule that can be unevenly applied put in place to benefit teams like the Patriots.

Even if it is, how does it benefit the player/team if they mark them at the spot of the fumble/throw of the ball? It's still the end of the down and the ball isn't advanced. 

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I have a different solution. I think that the offense should retain possession but the ball should go back to the 20. The defense shouldn’t get the ball by default but the offense should face a little bit of hurt.

Though I think that is pretty harsh against the offense, I think it's a better option than giving the ball to the defense because of bad luck.

3 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Though I think that is pretty harsh against the offense, I think it's a better option than giving the ball to the defense because of bad luck.

Yeah, it’s not ideal but I don’t think that the offense should get it at the goal line either. It’s somewhat punitive but a decent compromise. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Because they are different circumstances that are fundamental to how football is played on every level with a 2 point penalty for a safety as the consequence for fumbling out of your own end zone.  That current rule is punitive to the offense as is the rule of fumbling out of the opponents end zone that you want to reward a do over for. 

Great point. The touchback rule is actually consistent with the rules and the entire concept of gridiron. The offense may run, pass or kick the ball on any down.  A punt is a common play on 4th and 10 from ones own twenty yard line, but there is nothing in the rules preventing an offensive team in possession of the ball at the opponents 15 yard  line from punting the ball on second and ten. Now, the idea seems crazy because you want to score points and still have two more downs but it’s the same concept as an unintentional fumble. The rule makes no distinction for intent nor should it. If you punted in the scenario I used, and the ball goes into the end zone and OB it’s a touchback and the opponent gets possession at the 20. This holds true in the case of the fumble, and why not ? Dead ball rule aside, the offensive miscue is treated the same way as a punt : intentional or not the possession is vacated and goes to the opponent. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

23 hours ago, NoSaint said:

The goal line has all kinds of special rules, and with the biggest rewards come the biggest risks.

So we should go back to the good old days when an incomplete pass in the end zone resulted in a turnover? High risk/high reward!