When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the Opposing End Zone the Result Should Be....

26CornerBlitz

When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....  

145 members have voted

1. 1. When the Offense Fumbles the Ball Out of the End Zone the Result Should Be....

• Current Rule: Touchback for a Change of Possession
    • New Rule: Offense Retains the Ball at the Spot of the Fumble

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/25/2018 at 01:15 AM

32 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

What I’m saying, let’s say a play is run that takes 8 secs off the clock and they call defensive holding. They don’t put that time back on the clock. So on a penalty you essentially lost the time of a play and often didn’t get enough yards for it to even matter. After the play is over they should put that time back. Why punish the offense?

Gotcha. 

2 hours ago, The Wiz said:

When it comes to a fumble, I think it's easy to tell if someone meant to do it or not. 

Unless the rule changes that is.

You're talking about a league that can't figure out what it means to ***** catch a football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

What about when a team fumbles the ball out of their own end zone?  Is a safety too punitive? 

Thats kind of my point. It can't be one rule at one endzone and another rule at the other endzone in regards to possession.

Maybe the offensive team should get 2 points for fumbling it through the endzone but still be forced to kickoff from the 20 on a free kick to the other team...

I think a touchback is too punitive against the offense. Rather, I think the offense should keep the ball but it should be spotted all the way back at their own 1 yard line.  Also think the offense should be forced to have their place kicker play QB the rest of the game and would not be allowed to run the ball, only passes.  Also, the center has to line up in the slot with the punter taking over snapping duties. That seems more fair. 

Just kidding, I like it the way it is. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I started this topic about a month ago. The offense retains the ball, period.

This nonsense of the defense cause the fumble so they should get is illogical. Does the defense get the ball when the ball goes out of bounds ? No. Does the defense get the ball if they dont recover it on the field? No. Therefore the defense should not get the ball unless they recover it . Problem solved.

who ever came up this ridiculous touch back ruling is an idiot.

6 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Thats kind of my point. It can't be one rule at one endzone and another rule at the other endzone in regards to possession.

Maybe the offensive team should get 2 points for fumbling it through the endzone but still be forced to kickoff from the 20 on a free kick to the other team...

That's a pretty ridiculous idea IMO.  Why should an offense be rewarded with points for making such a big mistake regarding the lack of ball security on a negative play?

10 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spotted back at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if the ball didn't go into the end zone. So if it the fumble occurred on 2nd and goal, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of the touchback and play continues.  Basically fumbling into the end zone becomes a 10 yd penalty, but no replay of the down. Kind of like intentional grounding.

I like this option the best. It removes the chances of a player being careless because there is essentially no repercussion if he fumbles.

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Touchback or keep the ball at the spot of the fumble?  The current rule of a touchback seems to be controversial these days with many claiming it's too punitive.  What say you?

I like the current rule - fumbles everywhere else through 90% of the game do not move back to the spot.  

I think it makes sense to greatly penalize a team for a fumble in the most important area - especially with how the goal line changes other rules for the offense.

9 hours ago, iinii said:

The current rule doesn’t follow the spirit of the law to me. It should be the same as a fumble out of bounds.

So the team that fumbled the ball get the ball in the middle of the end Zone?  A fumble out of bounds is marked where it goes out of bounds not where the fumble occurs.

If they are going to change the rule near the end zone then the rule needs to be updated across the field with all fumbles being moved back to the spot and not advancement - so for example the Zay Jones Fumble into the end zone recovered by Buffalo for a TD gets moved back to the 3 yard line.

7 hours ago, KD in CA said:

You're talking about a league that can't figure out what it means to ***** catch a football.

Right but what does fumbling the ball intentionally gain a player.  I honestly can't think of a scenario where someone would be able to leverage it.  

Was it a fumble, yes, they get the ball at the spot of the fumble. 

No, they get the ball at the spot he was down by contact. 

It's the same outcome either way. 

Just now, The Wiz said:

Right but what does fumbling the ball intentionally gain a player.  I honestly can't think of a scenario where someone would be able to leverage it.  

Was it a fumble, yes, they get the ball at the spot of the fumble. 

No, they get the ball at the spot he was down by contact. 

It's the same outcome either way. 

They would get a do over for a serious mistake which in effect is a reward for not securing the ball. 

11 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I think it would be great for the offense to keep the ball, but it be spotted back at the 10 yd line keeping the same down as if the ball didn't go into the end zone. So if it the fumble occurred on 2nd and goal, it's now 3rd and goal from the 10 instead of the touchback and play continues.  Basically fumbling into the end zone becomes a 10 yd penalty, but no replay of the down. Kind of like intentional grounding.

Something along these lines is the best option IMO. I’ve seen people suggest moving it back to the 20 also and I think that’s fine too. I just don’t think it should automatically be given to the defense. 

The current rule is fine. Look at it in the simplest terms; in addition to a punt, turnover, turnover on downs, or field goal, the goal lines demarcate the term of possession.  Cross one and the term ends, whether by scoring a TD (with subsequent attempt at extra point(s)), giving up a safety, or turning over the ball due to carelessness. The game is played between the lines.