Rams and Bills May Have Discussed Hughes Trade

Coach Tuesday

Interesting tidbit from PFT:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/12/21/rams-knew-early-on-that-ndamukong-wasnt-the-same-old-suh/

"As one source pointed out to PFT, the Rams’ first choice was Bills defensive end Jerry Hughes, but Buffalo and L.A. couldn’t work out a deal before the deadline.  Maybe Hughes will become the Rams’ next target in 2019, when Suh and/or Fowler leave as free agents."

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Like (+1) 1

I thought it was first reported at the trade deadline.

My questions would be who approached who and who really wanted to make a deal? My guess is that the Rams approached Beane and were the ones who really wanted to get a deal for Hughes. This would suggest that while Beane had some interest, he's not necessarily shopping Hughes and actively looking for a replacement. 

1 minute ago, djp14150 said:

This isn’t new. It was mentioned early in season and near deadline

buffalo isn’t moving him unless it’s a 1st or 2nd.

personally I don’t like trading players for a pick you need to use to rep,ace what got traded.

Agree with all of this.  Especially right now, when we (are about to) have tons of cap room and tons of holes to fill.  I'm also against cutting guys to save cap right now.  If (Clay) a player (Clay) isn't helping the team (Clay), that's one thing, but if he's good but just not worth the money?  Keep him!

13 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Hughes has been one of the best trades the Bills have ever made. Unlike a lot of players who get their payday and digress, Hughes got better. I'm hoping Hughes retires a Bill.

Yeah Hughes is one of the best players on the team.  I'd love for 21 more guys like him. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, gjv001 said:

Hughes has been one of the best trades the Bills have ever made. Unlike a lot of players who get their payday and digress, Hughes got better. I'm hoping Hughes retires a Bill.

Yeah, he has been a fantastic Bill for us these past several years. His penalties might be a reason he isn't mentioned in the same sentence as Kyle and Eric Wood, but Hughes has basically been another excellent player that has given his all for the team.

• Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

This isn’t new. It was mentioned early in season and near deadline

buffalo isn’t moving him unless it’s a 1st or 2nd.

personally I don’t like trading players for a pick you need to use to rep,ace what got traded.

Agreed.  Hughes is one of the premier edge rushers in the league and he is having one of his best seasons.  Stupid to trade him for anything other than a first...A far more valuable, and difficult to replace, piece than McCoy ever was.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

I understand the Rams backed off when they learned of the Illuminati conspiracy to prevent  holding calls on Jerry, thereby suppressing hi sack totals.  

They originally and naively thought at first it was just typical  ‘uncalled NFL holding’

they only found out later just how deep this goes 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Agreed.  We have a very solid 30 year old pass rusher locked up, on the cheap, for another season.  Let’s not create another need.

They should be looking at drafting his successor first.  

21 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I would not be surprised if we make a push for Clowney.

I would

15 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

He's 30. Not 35.

Im all for drafting a pass rusher in the first, but Hughes has plenty of football left and they should pay him again if he continues play at this level.

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, especially when it comes to pass rushers.