Is Shady done?

Hebert19

22 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

One year ago, Sproles tore his ACL and broke his arm on the same play.  Now, in his 14th year, he's still playing a lot harder and is more effective (yards per touch, TDs) than a healthy McCoy, so, yeah...why not?

Because he said he’s retiring after this season, to name one reason why not. 

I’m so torn with Shady. One way or another he is a generational Bill. History will remember Kyle in this decade. Probably Fred, maybe Hughes (probably not as well

as he deserves) The Lorax has been an incredible bright spot but he will be his time will be so short that he will probably just blend in and be forgotten. Shady is a generational Bill. Shady is the guy that Bills fans will remember 30 years from now as a truly elite skill position player. The best skill position player the Bills have had since Thurman. I would say Peters might actually have been the actual best player the Bills have had in the last 25 years, but Shady is the best skill position player. Shady is the biggest reason the drought ended and is the only reason we were anywhere near 500 with Rex. He has also been my favorite Bill since Moorman left. 

I would say looking at this year he is probably done. Done being an amazing, electrifying, difference maker. Done as a 15-20 carry, 25 touch guy. He’s probably done being Shady McCoy. However, I feel there could still be a role where he can help us out. He needs to give up the dancing. He needs to understand that this scheme is a: get to the hole, then cut rushing attack. He needs to be humble and understand, to keep this going he needs another out pitch. The plus fast ball is gone. Take what the defense gives you and take 8 yards instead of trying to get 80 on every play. He can still help out catching balls out of the backfield. I think if he turns into more of a straight away runner he can absolutely be an excellent 2. If he is back, I am completely fine as long as there is another guy to shoulder most of the load.

If the Bills don’t want to pay a RB to be the #2 back, I understand. And even though it would hurt to see him go, I wouldn’t blame them. The only saving grace here and the only sliver of hope I still have...is no Bills RB has really done anything this year. Maybe it’s more about the line and the scheme. The only way to know for sure is to fix the line and bring shady back next season and see how the first few games go. My gut tells me it’s over but my heart hopes he gets at least the beginning of 19 to redeem himself. If there is 1 player on offense that deserves a benefit of the doubt, it’s Shady.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McCoy can come back and still play well, but it has to be with far better line play. I actually think he's lost confidence since his return. None of our RBs this year has looked any good, tbh, so I'm far more inclined to blame the O-Line than any of the backs specifically. As they have all shown they can do it in the past.

It wouldn't surprise me if the emphasis for the O-Line has been changed to making sure Allen stays upright - or at least as best they can.

I also think with a bit more creativity, you can still get a lot out of him, he should have been being used as a WR way more often, as he can actually catch a football,  but I can also see that they might decide to move on from him.

Concussions are a scary thing, for me it took 3 week to get rid of that foggy headed feeling. It's a feeling were you have trouble focusing on what you are doing and multitasking is harder to do also. Shady has lost a step and he is going to start breaking down. I also think that concussion is messing with him mentally, I think he might have another solid season in him but it's not worth the money to find that out.

He's done  He likes to bounce plays and he does not have the juice left in his legs to do those change of direction moves.  Short field quicks are gone and he was never a great between the tackles guy  Can he still run through a huge hole for 20 yards?  But so can any young back with fresh legs.  Still has great hands so might be a good safety valve type back

2 hours ago, Buddo said:

I think McCoy can come back and still play well, but it has to be with far better line play. I actually think he's lost confidence since his return. None of our RBs this year has looked any good, tbh, so I'm far more inclined to blame the O-Line than any of the backs specifically. As they have all shown they can do it in the past.

It wouldn't surprise me if the emphasis for the O-Line has been changed to making sure Allen stays upright - or at least as best they can.

I also think with a bit more creativity, you can still get a lot out of him, he should have been being used as a WR way more often, as he can actually catch a football,  but I can also see that they might decide to move on from him.

Good post. covered all the bases i think : )

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/23/2018 at 7:03 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Wishful thinking.

More of a year too late and a dollar poorly spent.

The argument I make is we need young wheels at RB.

There really isn’t any question about that.  Tons of teams are getting huge production out of young, mid-late round RBs.  No reason for the Bills not to have taken a shot at even one the past two years.  Much better potential return than Ray Ray or Proehl.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:39 AM, oldmanfan said:

When it hits older RBs it hits quick.  Not sure he's absolutely done, but his dancing style just ain't working behind this young O line.  O line has to be the main priority this offseason; then we'll see next year if the old Shady comes back.  Best bet is he'll start to transition into a third down more spot player role. 

The dreaded 30 Year wall for running backs. The team would be better served with young RBs with reasonable salaries who can stay on the field.

I love what Shady did for this team - was the only exciting thing on offense for years, but it is time to move on and wish him godspeed.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

Very possible. I don't even know if we can get much for him. Having a very weak OL and a QB that has poor accuracy doesn't help either. He can't carry the team all by himself.

Right now that inaccurate QB is doing more for this team then Shady is

but....I agree....it is because a RB needs an OL to actually execute their blocks