Jerry Hughes Confronts Official after the Game - Umpire Roy Ellison Reinstated After Being Fined $9300

30 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

If in fact the ref called him that the ref needs to be fired today,.  That's just ridiculous.

last i saw he denied anything happened at all

i guess some wisdom and common sense got drilled into his skull, hopefully not too late

19 hours ago, Ray Finkel said:

Numerous head shots to Allen and a pass interference call on Milano when he had better position to catch the ball than the receiver.  I don’t blame him.

The one clear head shot (one, not really multiple - the wrap-around the neck play was a reasonable no-call) was a terrible non-call by the ref, and it was game-determinative given when and where it happened (second down and 11 at the 30 of Miami on the Bills' third-last play). Milano's PI, however, was a great call. He arm barred him all the way down (which you cannot do!) and didn't look back for the ball. It was a very, very easy call and not really disputable at all. 

1 hour ago, papazoid said:

vs MIA he had 1 tackle, 1 qb hit and zero sacks

to me, he's the most over rated player on team. one trick pony

for the season:

Jerry is tied for 34th in the league for sacks with 6.0

Jerry is tied for 285th in the league for tackles with 31.0

he has 3 forced fumbles (the best thing he does)

he has 5 penalties (probably a career low)

Pressure stats - why didn't you include them?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sig1Hunter said:

Bad look, Jerry. You confronted the official,  now own it.  

Yeah. I'm fine with him for barking at the official if it was warranted. And if it's warranted, he should be fine with explaining why it happened, at least in general terms.

Acting like it didn't happen just makes you look stupid. Like, not just emotionally stupid, but literally mentally stupid.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The only issue is how many games does he get suspended for.  

There is no way this league is going to criticize one of their guys.  The officiating is really beyond ridiculous.  

Edited by davspo

19 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Dangerous of Hughes

I'm with you on this - while the refs did a poor job on some critical calls, it won't be shocking if this results in his suspension for at least a game and that ultimately hurts the team.   I did like his interview after the game though, that was pretty funny...." what video?  I'd like to see that video..."

28 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yeah. I'm fine with him for barking at the official if it was warranted. And if it's warranted, he should be fine with explaining why it happened, at least in general terms.

Acting like it didn't happen just makes you look stupid. Like, not just emotionally stupid, but literally mentally stupid.

In today's age of media and cameras everywhere saying, "that wasn't me", or acting like it didn't happen will not fly - that, and the fact that your Bill's uniform has your number and name on it kind of places you at the scene and all that.

He will get some kind of retribution from the league - may as well man-up and say yeah I said it and I don't care if you have a problem with it, or pretend to be repentant hoping for a lighter reaction.

Edited by WideNine

44 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The one clear head shot (one, not really multiple - the wrap-around the neck play was a reasonable no-call) was a terrible non-call by the ref, and it was game-determinative given when and where it happened (second down and 11 at the 30 of Miami on the Bills' third-last play). Milano's PI, however, was a great call. He arm barred him all the way down (which you cannot do!) and didn't look back for the ball. It was a very, very easy call and not really disputable at all. 

Pressure stats - why didn't you include them?

ok, so I don't like him a little less (laffin)

Jerry Hughes, Edge

PFF Overall Grade: 84.5

The edge is clearly one of the strengths of Buffalo’s defense – and team – and Hughes is the ringleader. The veteran ranks ninth among 104 edge defenders who have played at least 200 defensive snaps, and with a 90.4 pass-rushing grade, he’s one of just three edge defenders to grade out as an elite pass-rusher off the edge through the first 12 weeks of the season. Hughes is tied with Dee Ford of the Kansas City Chiefs for the league lead with 58 pressures (with 51 pressures, Danielle Hunter is the only other edge defender with at least 50) and Hughes is getting the job done efficiently as his 12.0 PRP ranks first among edge defenders as well (for some perspective, Ford ranks fifth with a 9.5 PRP despite having the same number of total pressures has Hughes. Ford has rushed the QB 87 more times than Hughes this season).

https://buffalonews.com/2018/11/27/pro-football-focus-buffalo-bills-jerry-hughes-loreno-alexander-kyle-williams-nfl-2018-analysis/

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, chaccof said:

I'm with you on this - while the refs did a poor job on some critical calls, it won't be shocking if this results in his suspension for at least a game and that ultimately hurts the team.   I did like his interview after the game though, that was pretty funny...." what video?  I'd like to see that video..."

Do you think Hughes intended it as humor, or does he honestly not remember?

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

Do you think Hughes is just "acting like it didn't happen"? 

I am wondering if he literally doesn't remember.  Like, undiagnosed concussion and memory loss associated with it. 

Or maybe being just so amped up from the game his memory isn't straight?

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I am wondering if he literally doesn't remember.  Like, undiagnosed concussion and memory loss associated with it. 

Neither,  I think he was simply attempting to deflect at that point.   I'm guessing that by the time he got interviewed someone in command, like a coach, told him that was a dumb thing to do and to either deny it or say no comment.   I don't remember where I heard this but someone once said if you're going to lie, lie big because people are more likely to believe something so outlandish that it must be true.....

24 minutes ago, chaccof said:

Neither,  I think he was simply attempting to deflect at that point.   I'm guessing that by the time he got interviewed someone in command, like a coach, told him that was a dumb thing to do and to either deny it or say no comment.   I don't remember where I heard this but someone once said if you're going to lie, lie big because people are more likely to believe something so outlandish that it must be true.....

For a Bills employee to instruct Hughes to deny an encounter in a locale likely to video recorded, would be a dumb thing to do.

40 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah. It seemed like he was caught off guard and went into denial mode. It sounded very disingenuous.

I don't think it would take all that much to set Jerry off after a loss since he gets held CONSTANTLY.  I personally like seeing him fired up in the tunnel after a loss...I recall he did it earlier this year after a blowout loss.  He has played incredibly well this season & love the fire he has.

27 minutes ago, OrtonHearsaWho said:

I don't think it would take all that much to set Jerry off after a loss since he gets held CONSTANTLY.  I personally like seeing him fired up in the tunnel after a loss...I recall he did it earlier this year after a blowout loss.  He has played incredibly well this season & love the fire he has.

quick survey shows fans of all 32 teams are convinced their D is held on every single play

5 hours ago, papazoid said:

vs MIA he had 1 tackle, 1 qb hit and zero sacks

to me, he's the most over rated player on team. one trick pony

for the season:

Jerry is tied for 34th in the league for sacks with 6.0

Jerry is tied for 285th in the league for tackles with 31.0

he has 3 forced fumbles (the best thing he does)

he has 5 penalties (probably a career low)

He gets a ton of pressures. If he weren't held on every play, he'd have elite edge rusher numbers.