Bills alltime record vs. Dolphins

4 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I don't know the story. What's the connection?

Bills were playing the Dolphins in the 1970’s and were down 24-21. Mercury Morris, the Dolphins RB fumbled the ball deep in MIA territory. Bills defenders fell on the ball to recover it, but the head linesman Jerry Bergman said the ball was dead before Morris dropped it and wasn’t a fumble. He then penalized Bills DL Pat Toomay 15 yds unsportsmanlike conduct penalty saying that Toomay elbowed him. Toomay said he was going for the ball and Bergman was in his way. The Bills lost 31-21 and Ralph Wilson was fined by the commissioner for criticizing the officiating. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

The Bills are 3-1 against Miami in the games that REALLY matter, with the one loss being a Flutie meltdown as the Bills were about to tie the 98 WC game.

I bet you that Marino is POed beyond belief that he is 0-3 against Kelly in the playoffs.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

The Bills are 3-1 against Miami in the games that REALLY matter, with the one loss being a Flutie meltdown as the Bills were about to tie the 98 WC game.

I bet you that Marino is POed beyond belief that he is 0-3 against Kelly in the playoffs.

All 20 mattered in the 70s

sweeping the Bills 10 years in a row meant not meeting them in the playoffs

8 hours ago, njbuff said:

Add Elway to the mix of HOF QB’s never able to get directly past the Bills in the playoffs while Kelly held the reins—but of course he got his after JK retired. 

3 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Add Elway to the mix of HOF QB’s never able to get directly past the Bills in the playoffs while Kelly held the reins—but of course he got his after JK retired. 

Elway gave the only legit scare of those 4 years, Bills needed a score from the D to win

at least it was the only time in those AFC playoff games that I felt the Bills were going to lose

1 minute ago, row_33 said:

Elway gave the only legit scare of those 4 years, Bills needed a score from the D to win

at least it was the only time in those AFC playoff games that I felt the Bills were going to lose

I do remember that—was def a defensive struggle, I think our home field was critical to the outcome—although the Bills also did plenty of playoff damage on the road during those days. The 92 AFC championship comes to mind in Miami, as well as the divisional round against Pittsburgh the week before. 

Just now, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I do remember that—was def a defensive struggle, I think our home field was critical to the outcome—although the Bills also did plenty of playoff damage on the road during those days. The 92 AFC championship comes to mind in Miami, as well as the divisional round against Pittsburgh the week before. 

It snowed that day but Denver was used to that.

a senior watching with me was wrapped up in a blanket on the couch and jumped up and did a celebration move when Bailey ran it in, then went back to his death vigil. :D

It it was probably one of the biggest moments of the Kelly Era

The AFC was JV for 13 years, not sure most of the runners up in the AFC would have won 6 games if placed in the NFC 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GRHater69 said:

Back then it was worse because Shula was on the competition committee so we always thought Miami got the benefit of close calls. But that game was a joke. To flag a player for unsportsmanlike conduct while he's trying to make a play and get into a pile where there's a loose ball was BS.  The ref for that game got demoted a few season later, but now his vindictive son is an official in the NFL.

Yep. 

I found the fans waving their white hankies in the stands to be most annoying, but 45 years or so later, a lot of them are dead by now :) , so it’s not as bad.

Bills still face the fish twice a year and are in the same division.  Them and the Jets will always be rivals as far as I’m concerned.  The other team in the division is as well it’s just been one sided 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

If I remember right Elway left in the middle of that game with an injury.  Forgot who the Broncos back up was at the time but I know they scored a TD late with him and recovered the on side kick.  

Interesting true story. I saw Don Shula sitting in an airport waiting for flight a few years back. I sat down and we started talking. When I revealed myself as a Bills fan I was amazed that his recollection of the Bills Dolphins series was actually of the later years in which he described the Bills dominance ...and not the 20 game streak in the 70’s. I thought that was pretty cool! He was really fun to talk with. 

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

And a really bad day from Denver's kicker.

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Remember this a-hole...

cox-2.jpg

I remember a comment he made one time about why he hated Bills fans so much, it kinda went like this ...

When we go up to Buffalo and our fans go into their stadium they get the **** kicked out of them by Bills fans. Then the Bills come down to Miami and their fans come down and kick the **** out of our fans in our own stadium, that's why I hate them.

23 hours ago, Dave in Bluffton said:

Seems like we've been beating the Fins pretty steadily since Jim Kelly arrived.  I know we lost 20 in a row in the 70's but in checking  we are still 47-60-1 against our rivals.  Will we ever catch up?  I'd like to think that with the maturity of Josh Allen and our offense improving, we could start dominating our division the way the Pats have since 2001 and maybe even out those records.  While I was at it, I noticed the Pats hold the edge 73-43-1.  The only team in our division we have a winning record against is the Jets 62-54. 

I never did the research, but when each of my boys turned 16 I took them to Buffalo to see a Bills game as a rite of passage. Of course, it’s always more fun to attend a win, and yes......I scheduled a Jets game both times. (Sadly, we split ?

Well, for a similar analogy let's look at the AL vs NL all star game record. From 1960 through 1982 the NL had a 23-2-1 record vs the AL, giving the NL a 34-18-1 all time record. It took until last year for the AL to tie the series record and they took the league this year. But the deficit was 16 games, Bills is only 13, and the all-star game has only been held once a year since 1963. So, to answer your original question, it may take some time, but I'm confident the Bills will have a winning record against the Dolphins (the hated Miami Dolphins) in my lifetime. Anyone care to guess (or care at all) why the NL dominated the all-star game in the 60's and 70's? 

2 hours ago, Another Fan said:

Bills still face the fish twice a year and are in the same division.  Them and the Jets will always be rivals as far as I’m concerned.  The other team in the division is as well it’s just been one sided 

If I remember right Elway left in the middle of that game with an injury.  Forgot who the Broncos back up was at the time but I know they scored a TD late with him and recovered the on side kick.  

It was Kubiak that played in relief of Elway, though I thought it was later in the game. Deep thigh bruise iirc. Anyway, it made for some tense moments until Baileys INT and again in the closing minutes. Neither offense could get off the ground that day. I was at the game and don’t remember it snowing at all. Kind of a cold but sunny day. 

On 11/30/2018 at 12:45 PM, Dave in Bluffton said:

Seems like we've been beating the Fins pretty steadily since Jim Kelly arrived.  I know we lost 20 in a row in the 70's but in checking  we are still 47-60-1 against our rivals.  Will we ever catch up?  I'd like to think that with the maturity of Josh Allen and our offense improving, we could start dominating our division the way the Pats have since 2001 and maybe even out those records.  While I was at it, I noticed the Pats hold the edge 73-43-1.  The only team in our division we have a winning record against is the Jets 62-54. 

Starting next season, we are going to win the division 16 out of 18 seasons, advance to 8 SB's (Including winning 5), and have zero losing seasons in said 18 seasons. Is this what you are hinting at?

Patriots are the exception, and not the rule. And even at that, they have a history of being shady. 

21 hours ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I don't know the story. What's the connection?

Boatdrinks did a fine job explaining why Jerry Bergman was the most hated ref in history by Bills fans. We had clearly taken over that game after being down at the half and Bergman single-handedly snuffed out whatever momentum we had. 

8 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Wade Phillips dialed up a masterful game plan that day; one of the best ever, imo. What he did with Mecklenberg at MLB and Atwater and Smith at the safety spots was ingenious. The only way I can describe it is that it was the football equivalent of the triangle and 2 defense. Those three players choked the Bills all day long and Marchibroda, Kelly, and the offense were clueless as to how to solve it.  

Edited by K-9
  • Like (+1) 1