2019 Mock Draft: Bills take OT Greg Little (Mississippi) at 9

5 hours ago, Dat said:

Also in his mock, f*** that guy.

21. Oakland from Dallas (6-5) — Josh Allen, OLB, Kentucky, Sr.

Here’s a Josh Allen I can support as a first-rounder. He would have been in the discussion had he left school a year early. Allen is one of five finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, which goes to college football’s best defensive player. He finished the regular season with 84 tackles, 18.5 tackles for loss and 14 sacks. Top needs: Edge, WR, QB

I'd take him with our pick and take Kansas State Dalton Risner at RT in the 2nd even if I have to move up a little to grab him.  To me, the 1st 3 rounds of the draft is about getting the best value you can get preferably at positions of need.  I'd easily take Allen in the teens as LORAX will be 36 years old.

Then in round 3 I'd be looking for interior OL/WR/CB but if someone else is there as a surprise value wise, you have to take him.

25 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Tyler Biadasz. Need an upgrade to the center of that OL. Biadasz is #24 on many big boards I've seen, if we're picking #18 that's a good time to draft him. 

Gotta look into him - though I'd much rather fill Center with an FA like Paradis who knows the league and can anchor the line from Day 1. Any rookie center will need time to develop - OL development is always a bit of a outlier in terms of league development schedules/progressions.

20 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I actually don't think this front office will be too keen on spending high round picks on OL. Beane said it himself during a pre-season game, the learning curve for even more experienced OL prospects is huge these days because these guys all play in schemes where they rarely ever line up with their hand in the dirt. They have to learn a whole other facet of their position once they reach the NFL and it takes quite a while to coach that. I can see them going OL in rounds two or three but I don't think they'll spend their first round pick on OL. If they end up with a top ten pick, I'd bet money that they'll be taking calls all day from any teams looking to come up. The offensive prospects this year aren't the greatest so the value on those players is gonna be in rounds two and three. So I can see Beane trying to stockpile a handful of twos, threes and even some fours if the offer is there. 

Ideally, I think they'd like to spend some of that cash on a couple of guys with experience who can step in and produce right away. I know the FA crop for OL also isn't great but I think they'd rather find a guy or two that way rather than having to wait it out and develop a guy. They're all in on this youth movement so I'd expect their first round pick to be a guy they feel can start right away or isn't that far away from being a day one starter.

Don't be surprised at all if a defensive player is their first pick. If they're sticking to BPA, it's likely gonna be a defensive player that'll be BPA when it's their turn in round one.

This makes sense.  The only problem is what offensive player doesn't need time to develop?  RB?  WR is are only other offensive need, and that position takes just as long as any other in the NFL.  

I think they know they need talent on the offensive side.  Whether its WR or OL, I suspect thats where they go when they draft.  Unfortunately, overwhelming odds are that those guys wont contribute immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This makes sense.  The only problem is what offensive player doesn't need time to develop?  RB?  WR is are only other offensive need, and that position takes just as long as any other in the NFL.  

I think they know they need talent on the offensive side.  Whether its WR or OL, I suspect thats where they go when they draft.  Unfortunately, overwhelming odds are that those guys wont contribute immediately. 

Yeah, they may not contribute immediately but they'll at least be playing right off the bat and getting experience. I mean, there are some skill position guys that are coming up that could surprise, N'Keal Harry is a rising name and DK Metcalf from Ole Miss just declared and his skill set might actually propel him to be one of the first, if not the first, receiver taken. There are also a handful of strong tight ends in this group and with Daboll being a former TE coach and having worked with Gronk, he may pound the table to bring in a super athletic TE. Noah Fant of Iowa is seen as the top TE right now.

RB is a down group this year. There's no Elliots or Gurleys in this class, probably not even a late first rounder. I gotta think they grab a guy to develop this year. Maybe in round 3 or 4, because I can't see them rolling into 2019 with just Shady and Ivory just because both guys hit age 31 in 2019. And they don't seem to be as thrilled with Marcus Murphy as they used to be. 

So... yeah, in a year where offensive skill positions are a B+ group at best, here's our Bills with needs at every offensive skill position besides QB, lol. But, I like the way this FO has done their jobs so far and expect this off-season to be pretty exciting.

16 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Interior o line is top priority... trade back and get a stud at guard and center. Then start looking for offensive weapons and speed maybe a corner.

I agree with you.

I think the Bills need more help at Guard & Center(unless the Bills believe in Bodine) than they do at Tackle. We have Dion Dawkins and drafting a player in the first round to be a Right Tackle would not be a good move.

Wide Receiver/Tight End/ or BPA in the first round. If that BPA is a defensive player.....so be it.

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Indeed. But JuJu wasn't coming out, and still isn't in fact, a complete #1 receiver. He has a lot of qualities but he isn't a true #1 and isn't asked to be a #1 because he plays opposite either the best or second best receiver in the league (I have AB #1 but I can take an argument for Julio). That is why he was graded in the 2nd round and went in the 2nd round.

JuJu on pace for over 1500 yards receiving this year—not bad for a no. 2 receiver.

16 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

Yeah, they may not contribute immediately but they'll at least be playing right off the bat and getting experience. I mean, there are some skill position guys that are coming up that could surprise, N'Keal Harry is a rising name and DK Metcalf from Ole Miss just declared and his skill set might actually propel him to be one of the first, if not the first, receiver taken. There are also a handful of strong tight ends in this group and with Daboll being a former TE coach and having worked with Gronk, he may pound the table to bring in a super athletic TE. Noah Fant of Iowa is seen as the top TE right now.

RB is a down group this year. There's no Elliots or Gurleys in this class, probably not even a late first rounder. I gotta think they grab a guy to develop this year. Maybe in round 3 or 4, because I can't see them rolling into 2019 with just Shady and Ivory just because both guys hit age 31 in 2019. And they don't seem to be as thrilled with Marcus Murphy as they used to be. 

So... yeah, in a year where offensive skill positions are a B+ group at best, here's our Bills with needs at every offensive skill position besides QB, lol. But, I like the way this FO has done their jobs so far and expect this off-season to be pretty exciting.

I actually don't think we need a WR that badly.  Talent is great, but the truth is they will only do as well as Allen does.  There are exceptions, drops, things like that.  But the thing that will tangibly help him the most play in and play are solid offensive lineman.  I also HATE drafting TEs high.  I prefer to play the lottery in that regard.  

22 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I think both Jonah Williams and Greg Little will be gone when we pick. I could easily see us drafting 15-18. Have a feeling we'll win all of our remaining games except New England. I called the losing streak, now I'm calling a winning streak. Allen gets red hot and puts us in a great spot to win some games. Bills finish 8-8.

This would make the long off season somehow worth it

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I actually don't think we need a WR that badly.  Talent is great, but the truth is they will only do as well as Allen does.  There are exceptions, drops, things like that.  But the thing that will tangibly help him the most play in and play are solid offensive lineman.  I also HATE drafting TEs high.  I prefer to play the lottery in that regard.  

I'm pretty much down with whatever the organization wants to do at this point. I'm all in on Allen. There's just something about the confidence and ease with which he approaches the position. If he can put it all together he can be really good. It's encouraging to see what he's done so far but I think once they get him some more weapons we'll maybe see him turn a major corner. Kid has never played with stars. Surrounded by one and two-star recruits at Wyoming and so far he's been surrounded by a solid running back, a former first round receiver who doesn't know how to reach his potential, a second round receiver who is working his tail off but is still struggling to separate/be seen on the field, and then a handful of late round and undrafted guys as well as an OL that had too much tinkering done to it during the summer. They definitely have some work to do on offense, no doubt.

I don't necessarily think they need a superstar pass-catcher, either. I actually think they're going to end up with a group of guys who will all have one or two specific skills they excel at while being average at the other things a WR does. Like, Foster and McKenzie will be the speed guys that'll take the top off a defense but neither one will likely ever run tough inside routes against man coverage because they get knocked off the line too easily. Zay will be the possession guy.. everyone seems to think he can be some slot superstar but I read recently that a lot of his best plays have come when he's lined up outside so maybe they wanna do that more with him. And hopefully they find another guy that has the size like KB but  has the desire to go with it. I think they'll want a well-rounded group to give Allen a variety of options and give Daboll a variety of ways to scheme and plan. Daboll comes from NE where they never had a big time WR (aside from Moss). It's always been a rotating cast of whoever they have at receiver, Gronk and their TE2 and their backs. Wouldn't surprise me to see a similar set up here.

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

So 2019 FA's on our Oline include Mills, Miller, Sirles and Groy; it seems like it's the right hand side of the OL's turn to get blown up. There's still Ducasse, so he could take Groy's position but doubt he would start at RG for Miller since Miller is still playing with Vlad on the bench. We would still need a backup center in that case which would fit nicely for one of our later round picks and maybe another low end FA in case the rook can't handle the backup duties. RT will be interesting, I think they should spend on a decent FA there but it could be a high draft pick too. It doesn't seem like Sirles has done enough to be counted on as a starter at RT next year, but maybe he can be a swing tackle.

KB and Deonte Thompson are the only UFA WR's, so maybe this waits until the 2nd round? Seems to meet the draft talent available too, although I think the OL and WR's will be getting overdrafted due to the young qb's and how offense is more of a need than defense.

Defensively KW, Lorax and Jordan Phillips are FA's, maybe they are brought back but with our rushing defense I think the DL talent available meets need in the first round and we get the best DT available to hopefully shore the run D up or a DE who can play the run and get more of a pass rush.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/buffalo-bills/

On 11/28/2018 at 2:09 PM, Utah John said:

If the first and last halves of the Bills schedule were flipped, they would have started out 6-2 or better, and then had to eke out 4-4 the rest of the way.  They might have had a chance, actually.  Green Bay is falling apart, and if Allen is playing well and is healthy they don't lose to Houston (no Peterman special pick six at the end of the game).  

So if they get hot and win most of the rest, it won't be that surprising.  The current talent level puts them around the middle of the league, so if they finish 7-9 or 8-8 it will be about right.

As usual the NFL does us no favors. 2 years in a row we play Miami at the end of the season. They need to spread out these division games better. 

• Like (+1) 1

If the kid becomes a bookend tackle for years, he's worth the 9th pick.  

People need to get over their obsession with skill position players and realize that the flashiest picks aren't always the best.

I think if the Bills can put together a top 10 offensive line and pair it with this defense, they will be a consistent 10-6 team.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/28/2018 at 8:01 PM, The Senator said:

Well Trey Adams is probably out of the picture - having torn his ACL,  the 6’8”  330# LT will probably return to UW for his last year of eligibility.

If we don’ have a shot at Jonah Williams, I say go with the best available player.

JMO.

They dont have Williams going until a couple picks in the second round. From what i've heard hes one of the surest things in the draft so im real confused. I feel like theres 5 wrs that are all jockeying for top spot, give me the surest tackle on the board asap.  Watch a great oline make every position on offense better

Edited by BillsMafia13

23 hours ago, PIZ said:

"Arizona State junior N’Keal Harry could end up being the first receiver off the board this spring. At 6' 4", he’s a big target who has been held under 60 receiving yards in a game only once this season. In Saturday’s win over USC, Harry made an acrobatic one-handed catch while falling backwards—he was almost completely horizontal when he stretched his arm back behind him to pluck the ball. That play showed off one of his strengths—the ability to consistently make difficult, contested catches downfield".

I would go Harry in the first and the tight end from Mizz in the second. Worry about the o line in free agency and later in the draft.

23 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

This team definitely needs top notch O-linemen.  What good is having great WR weapons if Allen won't have enough time to get them the ball. A great o-line can make even the worst offense look good.

agreed. if they buy him a little extra time then those speed guys can get deep. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Big uglies a huge need on this team

You want your shot at the best skill players. Doesn't matter how long Allen has in the pocket if no one is getting open. Left tackle typically goes high in the draft but that's a spot that seems to be locked up with Dawkins. So do you hope Dawkins can translate to the right side? I like the free agent class of offensive linemen more than I like the receiver class. That's going to be another factor but as it stands, I want young weapons for Allen.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Luka said:

You want your shot at the best skill players. Doesn't matter how long Allen has in the pocket if no one is getting open. Left tackle typically goes high in the draft but that's a spot that seems to be locked up with Dawkins. So do you hope Dawkins can translate to the right side? I like the free agent class of offensive linemen more than I like the receiver class. That's going to be another factor but as it stands, I want young weapons for Allen.

Dawkins best NFL position is LG to  me.