Josh Allen...40 time versus game speed

Big Turk

In week 3, according to Next Gen stats, Josh Allen's 10 yard run for a TD against Minnesota was clocked at 20.6 mph.  While not an exact science, you can roughly convert mph into a 40 yard time by dividing 80 by the MPH, so this comes out to an astounding 3.88 40 yard dash time.  Obviously this is from a running start, but even so, his 20.6 MPH put him in between Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffery for fastest runner in week 3.  Again, this week, Allen was clocked at 20 MPH on his 45 yard run, making the list and putting him directly behind Lamar Jackson who clocked in at 20.05 MPH on a 39 yard run.  Robert Foster clocked in at 21.11 MPH on his 75 yard TD catch.

The obvious point I am trying to make is that while Josh Allen's 40 yard dash was 4.75, he plays MUCH faster than this, almost being on par with 2 players who were clocked at 4.41 and 4.34 in the 40 yard dash.  I noticed this often with Allen in that he seemingly pulls away from LB's who are supposed to be faster than he is based on their 40 times but clearly are not when it comes down to actual playing speed.

This also makes him significantly faster than Tyrod was running, as the fastest I could find for him was 18.8 MPH...

I'm not sure how Allen can possibly be as fast as he is, for a guy 6'5" and 240+ lbs,  but the eyes don't lie...I KNEW simply from that TD run against the Vikings where he just ran away from Anthony Barr like he was standing still, but I had NO idea that he was THAT fast...

Allen literally is playing on par with dudes that were clocked in the 4.4's in the 40 yard dash in regards to playing speed... 

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 8

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

It's simple the endzone was just right out there in front of him like a carrot hanging from a stick.

It was there for Roethlesberger today too, but he din't make it and didn't look anywhere close to as fast as Allen did...

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

To be fair Josh Allen is a decade and a half lighter than him.

Despite having the exact same 40 yard time coming out of college as Allen, the only time Roethlesberger has ever hit 20 MPH running in his life was in his dreams...Big Ben can move but in no way would you ever consider him "fast"

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

In week 3, according to Next Gen stats, Josh Allen's 10 yard run for a TD against Minnesota was clocked at 20.6 mph.  While not an exact science, you can roughly convert mph into a 40 yard time by dividing 80 by the MPH, so this comes out to an astounding 3.88 40 yard dash time.  Obviously this is from a running start, but even so, his 20.6 MPH put him in between Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffery for fastest runner in week 3.  Again, this week, Allen was clocked at 20 MPH on his 45 yard run, making the list and putting him directly behind Lamar Jackson who clocked in at 20.05 MPH on a 39 yard run.  Robert Foster clocked in at 21.11 MPH on his 75 yard TD catch.

The obvious point I am trying to make is that while Josh Allen's 40 yard dash was 4.75, he plays MUCH faster than this, almost being on par with 2 players who were clocked at 4.41 and 4.34 in the 40 yard dash.  I noticed this often with Allen in that he seemingly pulls away from LB's who are supposed to be faster than he is based on their 40 times but clearly are not when it comes down to actual playing speed.

This also makes him significantly faster than Tyrod was running, as the fastest I could find for him was 17.9 MPH...

I'm not sure how Allen can possibly be as fast as he is, for a guy 6'5" and 240+ lbs,  but the eyes don't lie...I KNEW simply from that TD run against the Vikings where he just ran away from Anthony Barr like he was standing still, but I had NO idea that he was THAT fast...

Allen literally is playing on par with dudes that were clocked in the 4.4's in the 40 yard dash in regards to playing speed... 

Yeah.  The eye test never lies.  The 40 yard dash can be deceiving (see Jerry Rice's 4.71 seconds).  Running in a straight line without pads doesn't always translate to football speed.  He's about as fast as Tribusky, but a little more elusive with his bigger frame helps him pick up those extra yards.

34 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Despite having the exact same 40 yard time coming out of college as Allen, the only time Roethlesberger has ever hit 20 MPH running in his life was in his dreams...Big Ben can move but in no way would you ever consider him "fast"

I would like to add:

Not just Big Ben's dreams, but also running to block the door of a stanky bar room bathroom in order to have skanky washroon sex.  He reached 20.1 mph.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tsaikotic said:

like Buffalo716 said, re-watch the 40 yard run...Allen was stiff as a board and kept his hands and arms in tight to his body...he either did that on purpose or whoever taught him to run a 40 was not qualified to do so

I don't like 716, the parking sucks

Image result for house series gif

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:

I don't like 716, the parking sucks

Image result for house series gif

They also serve you completely raw in the middle chicken sandwiches, serve beef to vegans, got rid of the best thing on their menu(the Short Rib Tacos) and charge a lot for miniscule portions.

Other than that they are great.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They also serve you completely raw in the middle chicken sandwiches, serve beef to vegans, got rid of the best thing on their menu(the Short Rib Tacos) and charge a lot for miniscule portions.

Other than that they are great.

mmmmm, rare chicken breast.

7 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Re watch his 40 attempt 

he is clealry dogging it and going 70% at best

4 hours ago, Tsaikotic said:

like Buffalo716 said, re-watch the 40 yard run...Allen was stiff as a board and kept his hands and arms in tight to his body...he either did that on purpose or whoever taught him to run a 40 was not qualified to do so

Yup.  I don't think he was going all-out either because he probably knew he could run pretty fast without doing so and most importantly didn't want to risk injuring himself.

8 minutes ago, Juice_32 said:

I am a former college sprinter and an Allen fan, but his form in that 40 is absolutely brutal. He is so much more fluid in game. If he worked on it I'm sure you could max him out in the low 4.5's.

He isn’t trying in the 40.

thats why he looks robotic... because he isn’t using his full natural athleticism 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He isn’t trying in the 40.

thats why he looks robotic... because he isn’t using his full natural athleticism 

I agree, I'm sure he spent very little time, if any, working on it. He looks the opposite of robotic when running in game.