Josh Allen...40 time versus game speed

Big Turk

9 minutes ago, Doc said:

I couldn’t tell you for sure. I don’t think that if Jackson had run the 40 and shined that he’d have been drafted any higher than he was.

Yea but Jackson was a clear cut 5. He wasn’t neck and neck with 3 other guys.

he also opted not to run - which is very different than running less than his best on purpose.

if allen decided to run less than his best because Jackson’s mom had him sit out - it’s be a bit concerning with regard to his judgement 

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yea but Jackson was a clear cut 5. He wasn’t neck and neck with 3 other guys.

he also opted not to run - which is very different than running less than his best on purpose.

if allen decided to run less than his best because Jackson’s mom had him sit out - it’s be a bit concerning with regard to his judgement 

I'm not saying that Allen ran slower because of Jackson;I'm saying he ran slower to prevent injury and because he knew he could run fast without going 100%. 

And I agree Jackson was the clear 5.  But in the same vein, I think that Mayfield and Darnold were the clear 1 and 2 and Allen was the Bills' clear choice, and running faster wouldn't have made the Browns or Jets change their minds or another team take him before the Bills did.

10 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But that wouldn’t account for why he runs so naturally in game and so robotic in shorts...

youd think he’d still be fluid if he tried 

Unless you're used to running the 40-yard dash, it can be robotic.  You line up, wait for the starting gun, and then try to put up a good time.  On the field...you just run. 

On 11/26/2018 at 1:17 AM, matter2003 said:

In week 3, according to Next Gen stats, Josh Allen's 10 yard run for a TD against Minnesota was clocked at 20.6 mph.  While not an exact science, you can roughly convert mph into a 40 yard time by dividing 80 by the MPH, so this comes out to an astounding 3.88 40 yard dash time.  Obviously this is from a running start, but even so, his 20.6 MPH put him in between Saquon Barkley and Christian McCaffery for fastest runner in week 3.  Again, this week, Allen was clocked at 20 MPH on his 45 yard run, making the list and putting him directly behind Lamar Jackson who clocked in at 20.05 MPH on a 39 yard run.  Robert Foster clocked in at 21.11 MPH on his 75 yard TD catch.

The obvious point I am trying to make is that while Josh Allen's 40 yard dash was 4.75, he plays MUCH faster than this, almost being on par with 2 players who were clocked at 4.41 and 4.34 in the 40 yard dash.  I noticed this often with Allen in that he seemingly pulls away from LB's who are supposed to be faster than he is based on their 40 times but clearly are not when it comes down to actual playing speed.

This also makes him significantly faster than Tyrod was running, as the fastest I could find for him was 18.8 MPH...

I'm not sure how Allen can possibly be as fast as he is, for a guy 6'5" and 240+ lbs,  but the eyes don't lie...I KNEW simply from that TD run against the Vikings where he just ran away from Anthony Barr like he was standing still, but I had NO idea that he was THAT fast...

Allen literally is playing on par with dudes that were clocked in the 4.4's in the 40 yard dash in regards to playing speed... 

Yeah, it's pretty surprising to see him going as fast as he does.   He doesn't have great acceleration in the way that the quick sprinters have, but on the other hand it only takes him a few strides to get up to speed.  

I think his speed comes his size and athletic ability.   Big guys have long legs, long legs result in big strides, and big strides let you cover more ground than smaller strides.   But it's harder athletically to get a big body going and doing all the stuff needed to take advantage of the bigger strides.   Only really good athletes can do it, and Allen turns out to be one of those.   The extreme example is Usain Bolt (no, I'm not saying Allen runs like Bolt).  But Bolt combines size with athletic ability, and the smaller athletes simply have no chance to go as fast as he does.  

3 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

He needs to be a little quicker to get OB or down.  I know he is a big guy but He can’t take direct hits from NFL LB’s or larger safeties and hope to stay injury free.

You can be sure the message is "don't take chances unless it's important."  What he needs to do is refine his judgment about what's important - right now he seems to think every play is important.  

Plus, the play calling has to change.   Those two zone reads down on the goal line late in the game need to go.   The TD wasn't as important as his health, so they shouldn't be calling his number down there.   Some other situation, maybe, but not that one.   There's a cumulative effect to taking those hits, and the Bills shouldn't be adding to the number of hits needlessly. 

he's a crappy 40 runner.  not a powerful start, not a compact guy out of the blocks.  as said above, he's a long strider, once he gets up to speed he's obviously really fast, i am still surprised to see he was like top 5 fastest in the nfl a couple times.

one thing about him, and guys like kaep, is that he's such a natural athlete that while he cannot make sudden changes of direction like barry sanders, he sets up defenders so that he can move away from them (or leap right over them).  this works for a long legged guy because one well timed stride puts him out of reach for the defender.  he'd make a bad RB, but i honestly think he could be a good WR at the nfl level.