Any news on Trent Murphy?

blacklabel

I searched around online and combed through the pre-game thread for the Bills/Jags game but haven't seen any info on Murphy. Just saw that Lawson and Clay weren't practicing today. 

Lawson has played pretty well in the DL rotation and he provides versatility in that he can switch up between DT and DE so even if Murphy is back, I'd still make sure Lawson gets some reps. 

Yeah, anyway, anyone know what's up with Murphy? 

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

I searched around online and combed through the pre-game thread for the Bills/Jags game but haven't seen any info on Murphy. Just saw that Lawson and Clay weren't practicing today. 

Lawson has played pretty well in the DL rotation and he provides versatility in that he can switch up between DT and DE so even if Murphy is back, I'd still make sure Lawson gets some reps. 

Yeah, anyway, anyone know what's up with Murphy? 

limited on Monday at practice...listed as questionable. His knee is glass.

Just now, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Especially the way Shaq Lawson has emerged this season.  

Yup. Shaq has been playing great. Murphy seems like a good likeable dude but worthless if never on the field. We could be using that money on a receiver or OL. 

Thanks to everyone who responded, appreciate it.

Murphy is kind of puzzling to me... he went 47th overall in 2014 out of Stanford and for all the "injury prone" labels he gets, he actually only missed two games over his first three seasons. Racks up 9 sacks in 2016, was a top ten pass rusher in terms of QB pressures, looked like he was poised to break out and then he wrecks his knee and misses all of 2017. Missed OTAs, camp and pre-season, plays in 7 games before getting hurt again, has been on the sidelines for four weeks but only missed three games. I know he had the PED thing as well, makes you wonder if he was taking something to strengthen himself against injury or whatever. 

Obviously players are signed/given deals based on their on-field production but there are off-field things that factor in. With Murphy, you can tell they brought him in here because he embodies the work ethic McDermott wants out of his players. I'm sure he sets a good example on the practice field when he's on it but yeah, hopefully they didn't end up buying a lemon here because a DL of Murphy, Hughes, Williams, Lotulelei ain't bad especially when the rotational guys are Lawson, H. Phillips, J. Phillips, and Yarbrough. Jordan Phillips is a guy I'd like to see them hang onto after the season, I think he's been a nice surprise and he's been energized for a fresh start here. However, this lineup wouldn't stop me from drafting one of these premier DL players coming up if the board falls that way. Adding more strength to an already strong group is never a bad idea. And Carolina did that when Beane was still there. They had a pretty stellar DL in 2015 (their Super Bowl run) and still drafted a DL in the first round in 2016. The draft is just so packed with really defensive players this year that it's difficult to see them NOT going defense early, simply because the value for offensive skill players won't be there until late into the first. Feels like we could see something similar to what they did in 2017 when they dropped all the way to 27th overall and still came away with a great #1 CB in Tre' White.