Connor Orr: How Will Rams-Chiefs Impact the Future of the NFL?

26CornerBlitz

For all the talk of the Chiefs offensive weapons, they had a grand total of 26 passing TD's last season. This year they're on pace for well over 50.

Maybe that new quarterback, can never remember his name, is making them look better than they are.

All I ever hear is the reverse. If that were true, why the quantum leap in passing TD's?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

And Rams and Chiefs secondary is light years away from ours.  

Those offenses are fun to watch, but they both played the worst secondaries in the league making it look even more exaggerated.  

I will take top a top 5 defense with a top 8 to 12 offense any day of the week than a top 2 offense with a bottom 5 defense. 

That team would win more than it would lose against elite offenses with putrid defenses.

And the Combined record of Chiefs and Rams is what again?

if you add the Other elite offense in Saints and they are a grand total of 28-4. 

Nah will take the elite modern offense 

Edited by MAJBobby

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

So getting back to the here and now, what great defensive team is going to win SB LIII?   

I don't think there is a truly elite defense in the league. Baltimore, Buffalo, Chicago, Jacksonville and Minnesota are the top 5 in yards; Baltimore, Tennessee, Dallas, Chicago and Washington are top 5 in points. 

I think that tells you Baltimore and Chicago are the two best. I think Chicago look like a team that could upset one of those big offenses in the playoffs but going all the way and winning the Superbowl...... I doubt it. Baltimore are a possible wildcard team who will be 1 and done if they get in. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think there is a truly elite defense in the league. Baltimore, Buffalo, Chicago, Jacksonville and Minnesota are the top 5 in yards; Baltimore, Tennessee, Dallas, Chicago and Washington are top 5 in points. 

I think that tells you Baltimore and Chicago are the two best. I think Chicago look like a team that could upset one of those big offenses in the playoffs but going all the way and winning the Superbowl...... I doubt it. Baltimore are a possible wildcard team who will be 1 and done if they get in. 

I would love to see how the Bears' D would do in a matchup against the Saints or Rams.  As good as they look, they couldn't completely shut down the one-dimensional Vikings. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I would love to see how the Bears' D would do in a matchup against the Saints or Rams.  As good as they look, they couldn't completely shut down the one-dimensional Vikings. 

Yep. The Chicago defense is good. It is not elite. But it is young and could be together a few years. The Seahawks were not elite immediately. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chugging along to....what?  There are 3 or 4 teams in the league who can do this.  Anything think Titans-Texans is going to be like this next week?

Everyone on the planet knew this was going to be a shootout...and it was a shootout.  It hasn't 'changed the game" at all, not even a little bit.

But you gotta love the over reaction to one game.

As if it was a sudden revelation to 30 GMs last night that having a top QB, top RB and a bunch of really good WRs translates into being able to score a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

And the Combined record of Chiefs and Rams is what again?

if you add the Other elite offense in Saints and they are a grand total of 28-4. 

Nah will take the elite modern offense 

The only record that matters:  Top 5 offenses in NFL history are 0-3 in SB with 2 not even making it to SB.  I want a SB trophy, not a fantasy football one.  

Highest scoring offense in the NFL has a .476 win percentage in the SB, also known as a losing record.  

I will I’ll take a SB trophy over regular season stats.  

I smoked and fell asleep during the 1st quarter. 

Not cuz the game was boring. I was just moshed out from work.

woke up at 1:30. Saw the highlights and was pissed i missed the game.

Smoked again and went back to sleep.

I want a modern offense. Why do we have to stay in the stone age?

I would hate to see a league where good defense is shunned but the rules have steered it to score heavy games.

Defense still wins games but a good enough offense can usually over come that.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

Only the Bills fans from the Rockpile days don't seem to like it. 

You mean people who actually like, you know, football?

Where people get hit hard, tackled over the middle? Yeah. You're right. People who like football HATE that kind of game.

10 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

You mean people who actually like, you know, football?

Where people get hit hard, tackled over the middle? Yeah. You're right. People who like football HATE that kind of game.

Defenseless hits have no place in the game anymore. Hard hitting defenses are a thing of the past. Playing field position and pounding the rock is old school way of thinking. 

12 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Defenseless hits have no place in the game anymore. Hard hitting defenses are a thing of the past. Playing field position and pounding the rock is old school way of thinking. 

Its what football IS. Get rid of that it’s no longer football 

I don't get this business that now that teams see this they will dump whatever they're doing and try to do that too. First off, it's hard to do and you gotta have a great QB (which most teams do not) and a stable of play makers (which most teams don't have). 

There area few teams that have this going on right now.  Defenses will catch up, they always do.

I remember a few years ago when the read option run was revolutionizing football and it would never be the same again.

People are giving a single game way too much credit in how it illustrates the "new" NFL game. It was just a single game between two teams who have very good offenses - and subpar defenses - this year.   

NFL teams are averaging 24.2 points per game this season. Yes, it's the highest it's ever been but it hardly makes 54-51 games the "new norm." In 1946 NFL teams averaged 23.6 points per game, that didn't signal the beginning of some new offensive explosion. Just a changing game that took defenses awhile to catch up to.

Edited by MDH

8 hours ago, TallskiWallski83 said:

Everyone is going bonkers over last night's game and I don't understand it. Yes, big plays and scoring are exciting but it waters down the product. How am I supposed to get excited over a 60 yard bomb when it seems to happen every drive? What makes football exciting to me is the build up to a big play, a back and forth chess match between offense and defense. Where each yard on offense is earned, not given. Where big time players rise up to the occasion and make a spectacular play to win their team the game. Last night's game was just a back and forth scorefest that ended with a anticlimactic ending. Defense means nothing and everyone scores at will, the team that loses is the team that gets the ball last without enough time on the clock. It's just a random way to end a game and I don't understand why people enjoy it. Im 31 years old and I sound like a grandpa here, but this new age football just doesn't do it for me. 

If the bills won last nights game the same way this board would be much more entertaining. 

We are the dude sitting next to our horse complaining about how cars take the fun out of transportation 

The NFL is a balancing act. The league will always slant the rules towards the offenses because "Chicks dig the long ball" but the defensive minds that make up the game will always adjust to new rules and adapt to new strategies. You saw safeties converted into linebackers and pass coverage becoming a necessity for linebackers to limit the short and intermediate passing game. You saw interior defensive linemen become integral to the pass rush as its a lot quicker to get to the QB over the middle. 

In 2018 the NFL saw that over the course of the past 4-5 years defenses caught up. Teams like Seattle and Denver fielded teams that had true lock down defenses for at least a few years. Now the NFL has slanted the rules again to help the offenses and the defenses are left to adjust. I have no doubt that in 2-3 years defenses will have adapted and we will see a new sense of balanced play arrive. 

Its always a game that swings based off of new strategies, even offenses adapted by ditching the fullback for a slot receiver and using the running back as a receiver out of the backfield. I

I think that people are making too much of Monday night's game.  We knew both teams were high powered offenses with weak defenses so the result was no surprise.  80 percent of the league probably could not field 3 reliable targets per team to be able to duplicate what the Chiefs, Rams, and Saints are doing.  And if it is something that can be coached by modern technique then I expect the Pegula's to grab such a coach out from under somebody else if possible.

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The only record that matters:  Top 5 offenses in NFL history are 0-3 in SB with 2 not even making it to SB.  I want a SB trophy, not a fantasy football one.  

Highest scoring offense in the NFL has a .476 win percentage in the SB, also known as a losing record.  

I will I’ll take a SB trophy over regular season stats.  

So....you got the Bills beating the Chiefs for the AFCC?

Bears beat the Rams?  Or is it the Saints they beat in the NFCC?

19 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Chugging along to....what?  There are 3 or 4 teams in the league who can do this.  Anything think Titans-Texans is going to be like this next week?

Everyone on the planet knew this was going to be a shootout...and it was a shootout.  It hasn't 'changed the game" at all, not even a little bit.

Well of course not.  It's not going to change over night.