Is this a playoff team with Tyrod?

Mikie2times

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

McDermott said it himself - he values culture more than strategy. 

Show us that quote because I don't recall it.

McD has talked about the importance of culture.  And he's right, it's important.  

Bill Walsh valued culture, too.  Walsh - who went 2-14 in his first year with the 49ers - wrote that "Culture precedes positive results."  

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Pretty sure the GM and HC hand picked the WRs and had plenty of time to make changes to the OL.

Not trading away all their draft picks might have helped them upgrade their blocking. No one forced them to go all in on Allen or Edmunds. 

Not with the room we had in the salary cap this past year.

But again, my point, with this same exact squad, the outcomes wouldn't have been much different.  

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I get that this team totally lacks offense, and that’s largely what fun to watch. THAT is why the NFL is doing everything possible to encourage more offense and points. We don’t have that now, so it’s less fun than it should be. I’m just having more patience than many, it seems. 

I think the majority of us are with you on a patient, wait and see approach.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

In my opinion no way it’s a playoff team. Tyrod has regressed horribly the more he plays. He only gets worse. He has been trending down for what 3 years? Every season here his game went farther and farther downhill. One could argue he’s worse than our current 3 quarterbacks. Sure he can scramble a couple first downs for you every game. And he will take care of the ball. The majority of our losses were blowouts, are we in those games if the offense doesn’t throw picks? Is Tyrod bringing us back down 10? Down 20? We seen enough to know the answer is no. He is gonna 3 and out non stop. He is going to ignore portions of the field. More than likely make one read and run. 

First year here I thought Taylor was gonna be a star, man that guy threw the most gorgeous 50 yard bombs I may have ever seen. Just dropped them in there like it was nothing. 

Yet after that first season he couldn’t do it anymore. He couldn’t do anything. I feel like he was coached terribly into this scared little shell of himself. He took ball security more seriously than any other aspect of the game. And that ruined his whole game and probably his career 

Was it because guys were injured constantly and there was no continuity at WR? Tought to tell plus the FO went out and got a bunch of bigger possession WRs who don't fit Tyrod's style. I think Tyrod would benefit by having quick shifty WRs who have speed and can get open in space. Even with that I think at his best Tyrod is a .500 QB and the ideal backup QB.

Edited by billieve420

19 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Nope.

The Bills should have tanked in 2017 and walked away from the draft with a franchise QB, another 1st round pick, two 2nd round picks, and three 3rd round picks.

We could have had a franchise altering draft. Instead we traded away almost all of our assets for Josh Allen and Tremaine Edmunds and went all in on two players. 

Exactly.

Tyrod Taylor sucks.

Josh Allen is worse.

I get that a lot of people don't want to accept that, but that's not my problem. 

If that's your conclusion you're in for a tough 10+ years ahead.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Holy cow, how can some here already have written Allen off?  I can’t think how you could have put a rookie into a worse situation.  

Mediocre OL to worse with loss of Wood and Incognito- check.  

WR group with maybe 1 NFL level starter - and that was “last year’s sure bust” Zay Jones - check. 

Keep Allen taking 3rd team reps through most of training camp and then throw him into starting lineup with this mess - check.

How many games has he started, no supporting group- 6?  Yep, let’s conclude that he is terrible 

51 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

We had the Packers on the ropes too. And in other games I don't think we have as many turnovers so in a close game who knows?

You guys are the same people who told us the offense would be better if TT left.

You cant have a team on the ropes when you put no points on the board.   There are some other games when Its tough to tell though.    I look more at the games where Anderson and Peterman started, those games weren't close, but the team came in with a very modified game plan on offense.   It may have been a completely different game with an established quarterback, even a mediocre one.   

For the record, I do think that we should have ideally kept Taylor and still drafted Allen so I don't think our viewpoints are as different as you think.  

2 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Holy cow, how can some here already have written Allen off?  I can’t think how you could have put a rookie into a worse situation.  

WR group with maybe 1 NFL level starter - and that was “last year’s sure bust” Zay Jones - check. 

Keep Allen taking 3rd team reps through most of training camp and then throw him into starting lineup with this mess - check.

How many games has he started, no supporting group- 6?  Yep, let’s conclude that he is terrible 

You apparently haven't heard: He didn't put up great stats in college. :lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m NOT arguing they got the offense right. That would be foolish. I’m just saying I don’t pull the plug after this year, and if they continue to get things going generally in the right direction (cap, drafts, etc.) I’d give them another shot at QB after next year if it’s the thing to do. Bottom line is, it doesn’t matter what WE think, because WE don’t get a say. 

And I don’t get too worked up about stuff I can’t control. That’s an important life lesson, to me anyway. 

...way, WAAAY to early to talk about pulling the plug despite the TBD'ers "demands"........listen to them and you'll be institutionalized....last year making the playoffs ala DDI, a/k/a "Dalton Divine Intervention" was an unpredictable anomaly.....yet the TBD prognosticators  forecasted 4-12, 5-11, 6-10 etc in an expected "rebuild year"......and now on that very same PREDICTED path, "we suck"..Greenspan said "irrational exuberance"...Bi-Polar 101 ....the "course" is bound to be "rocky and trying" and maybe not as fast as other teams, but what are our choices now?...yup fire everybody and start over, looking for success in 2027.......

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You have a point. But I think it proves the coaching has been horrible. All those things were decided by the coaches. So the coaches have put him in a place where he most likely will become terrible. 

Despite the tire fire that this season has become, I'm still glad we let Tyrod go.  If Josh Allen is ever going to be successful, it's as a pocket passer who can get through his route tree.  Tyrod had nothing to teach Allen about that (Tyrod couldn't even see receivers over the middle, never mind decide whether to throw to them!).  Not sure yet whether Anderson or Barkley can show Allen (on or off the field) how it's done, but at least, at this point, there's a hope of them doing so.

21 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You have a point. But I think it proves the coaching has been horrible. All those things were decided by the coaches. So the coaches have put him in a place where he most likely will become terrible. 

I think that’s more big picture planning and prioritizing resources than “coaching”. Even the best coaches need talent to work with. We ain’t got much of that on offense. We couldn’t get it all that quickly and hopefully the offensive lack of offensive talent gets corrected in FA and the next draft. 

Having said that, I’m NOT saying the coaches are good. Only that you can’t tell while they work with JV level talent. I’ve got my reservations, but I’ll wait and see. 

...despite being a likeable guy, one of supreme work ethic effort and a consummate teammate, I think this kid's ship has sailed, unfortunately, as far as living his lifelong dream as a starting NFL QB....or even a proven back up......he is not the first to fail in making it......and NOT the last.........

Were the Browns a playoff team with Tyrod? 

No, we wouldn't be a playoff team with Tyrod. Our offense would still look awful, just without the turnovers. 

Imagine it this way - 3 out of every 4 INT's this year would just be incompletions. And 9 out of 10 attempted deep passes would be checkdowns to the RB. We'd still be the 32nd ranked passing offense, we'd have 10+ game streaks of not scoring a TD in the first half, we'd lead the league in 3 & outs again, and we'd still have a crappy O-line & WR's.

Opposing defenses would still put up monster sack numbers, possibly even more so, only this time we'd watch Tyrod scramble backwards & lose extra yards in the process (except for the 1 time each game he keeps the play alive and the announcers talk about his great athleticism).

46 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Were the Browns a playoff team with Tyrod? 

No, we wouldn't be a playoff team with Tyrod. Our offense would still look awful, just without the turnovers. 

Imagine it this way - 3 out of every 4 INT's this year would just be incompletions. And 9 out of 10 attempted deep passes would be checkdowns to the RB. We'd still be the 32nd ranked passing offense, we'd have 10+ game streaks of not scoring a TD in the first half, we'd lead the league in 3 & outs again, and we'd still have a crappy O-line & WR's.

Opposing defenses would still put up monster sack numbers, possibly even more so, only this time we'd watch Tyrod scramble backwards & lose extra yards in the process (except for the 1 time each game he keeps the play alive and the announcers talk about his great athleticism).

Shh.  I already tried questioning them about that.  They've decided Tyrod never played this year, and instead insist Tyrod this year would perform just like he did in 2017.  I mean, who needs hard data from this year when you have wild speculation from last? ?

• Haha (+1) 1