Kelvin Benjamin needs to be cut

TwistofFate

16 minutes ago, CSBill said:

Cutting him means we eat the salary, and he can go play somewhere else. But he is an obvious liability on the field--except to his coaches?

Just deactivate him.

Yesterday showed there are other WRs willing to work hard and give effort, and when things are executed well, they can make the plays. Benjamin has not shown that once this season.

It baffles me that they keep running him out there.

We pay his salary whatever we do. Personally I'd rather cut him and use his roster on a young player who we spend a few seeing if they have value for the future

2 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

We pay his salary whatever we do. Personally I'd rather cut him and use his roster on a young player who we spend a few seeing if they have value for the future

Yeah, I get it. Either way, we need to be done with him.

2 hours ago, Mountain Man said:

No chance we'll get comp picks. With so much cap space we'll be active in free agency and sign far more free agents than we lose

If you are going to make him inactive you may as well cut him. It doesn't change the amount of money we pay him but you can use the roster spot for someone who could be active.

Making him inactive makes little sense

That depends - do you have another player that you have great confidence can be more productive?

Foster had his shot earlier in the season and muffed it.  He spent some time on the practice squad, yesterday he looked as though he may have put that time to good use.

There's no question Benjamin *can* play and play well.  I think he's been in "career preservation mode" on the theory that the Bills QB will be perceived as unable to get him the ball so why try.  When the Bills rack up passing yards in the single digits or even <200 yds (which is 7 games this year) and none of the WR are anywhere near 100 ypg, he can make that case "give me a shot, my QB sucked with the Bills, just look at the stats". 

A couple more games where 2 WR not named Benjamin push 100 ypg and he can't make that argument to support for his future contract, so just maybe he'd start playing.

On 11/5/2018 at 11:04 AM, TwistofFate said:

I've never seen a more lazy, unfocused, wide out in my life.   It's obvious why Carolina got rid of him.  

This guy can't catch a cold.  To make matters even worse, he lays on the ground after every play smiling, waiting for someone to help him up. 

He is a disease, and needs to be purged from this team. 

This roster is terrible!!! 

First the play in the end zone is the main reason why we traded for him and he could not box out smaller defender who was able to rip ball out.  The play that Bills management cannot slide is pass that was tipped and falls to the ground right in front of him.  He makes no effort to dive and make a play on the ball,  very bad example for any young players and he needs to go.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That depends - do you have another player that you have great confidence can be more productive?

No, which is precisely why it's the thing to do. You have a chance to test someone for a few games with very little risk, the Bills have very little to play for now, so you may as well use the time to help next season. You have a 6 game tryout period 

Benjamin is not being re-signed at the end of the season, and there is nothing more to learn about him

For the he tipped ball play, his momentum was to the sideline and his feet were off the ground until the ball was 4 or 5 ft and a fraction of a second from the turf.  I don't think he had any real chance at the ball unless he could defy laws of Newtonian physics, but the camera shot from the far sideline gives it a bad look.  A high endzone shot from behind would not have give the same impression, imo.

4 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

For the he tipped ball play, his momentum was to the sideline and his feet were off the ground until the ball was 4 or 5 ft and a fraction of a second from the turf.  I don't think he had any real chance at the ball unless he could defy laws of Newtonian physics, but the camera shot from the far sideline gives it a bad look.  A high endzone shot from behind would not have give the same impression, imo.

Zay Jones doesnt care about this Newton guy and his "physics" .  Why should KB?

Image result for zay jones standing up

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

No, which is precisely why it's the thing to do. You have a chance to test someone for a few games with very little risk, the Bills have very little to play for now, so you may as well use the time to help next season. You have a 6 game tryout period 

Benjamin is not being re-signed at the end of the season, and there is nothing more to learn about him

I hate him as much as anyone, but he’s a UFA and will enter into the comp pick equation when he signs somewhere else. So it made sense that they tried to trade him for a pick, but doesn’t make sense from a GM’s standpoint to cut him at this point. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, mannc said:

If we keep KB through this season and he signs elsewhere, don't we get a comp pick?

He will definitely count in the comp pick formula, which is why they are keeping him.   As long as he's not a locker room cancer, there's little value in cutting him outright.   Yesterday he showed his value as the decoy because he still commands double coverage.

It will be interesting to see how defenses adapt to his new role and if they roll coverage to the other guys.  It did help having Barkley under center who can get past his first reads.

I also thought he should be cut.  Now, I just think he should be a healthy scratch each week. Let him sit on the sidelines and rot.  Cutting him just gives him the opportunity to play for a potential playoff team.  He doesn’t deserve the playoffs. He’s garbage.  Quite possibly my most hated bill ever.

36 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I hate him as much as anyone, but he’s a UFA and will enter into the comp pick equation when he signs somewhere else. So it made sense that they tried to trade him for a pick, but doesn’t make sense from a GM’s standpoint to cut him at this point. 

We aren't getting comp picks. We have a load of cap space and very few free agents leaving. We won't be anywhere close to getting comp picks. Cutting Benjamin wouldn't change that. Given the cap/free agent situation, there isn't a team less likely to get comp picks, aside from possibly the Jets

37 minutes ago, GG said:

He will definitely count in the comp pick formula, which is why they are keeping him.

Yes he counts, no it won't matter.

To get comp picks you need to sign less free agents than you let go. The Bills have loads of cap space, and very few agents.

I know people love the idea of comp picks, but this year it ain't happening. No chance. Zero.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and a helluva game for this kid.......11 targets and 8 receptions.....rounding into expected form.................

Yes it was.  Bill Polian was faced with a decision about either extending Edgerin James or Reggie Wayne who both mainstays of a great Colts offense.  He signed Wayne and let James go with the reasoning that it took more time to develop Wayne as player than James and that Wayne was therefore tougher for the offense to replace. 

This is to make the point that it used to be the norm that WRs took more time to become good pros than most any other position and you shouldn't rush to call a rookie WR a bust.  Eric Moulds seems like the best example of this from the Bills history.

19 minutes ago, JESSEFEFFER said:

Yes it was.  Bill Polian was faced with a decision about either extending Edgerin James or Reggie Wayne who both mainstays of a great Colts offense.  He signed Wayne and let James go with the reasoning that it took more time to develop Wayne as player than James and that Wayne was therefore tougher for the offense to replace. 

This is to make the point that it used to be the norm that WRs took more time to become good pros than most any other position and you shouldn't rush to call a rookie WR a bust.  Eric Moulds seems like the best example of this from the Bills history.

....great assessment....thanks..........:thumbsup:

4 hours ago, longtimebillsfan said:

Yes, cut Benjamin and use that roster spot to keep Allen Barkley and Allen's mentor Anderson. 

Did Anderson have a reputation as a good mentor before arriving in Buffalo? Is this just a fan thing? Why is anyone convinced he would be a better mentor than Barkley? 

39 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Did Anderson have a reputation as a good mentor before arriving in Buffalo? Is this just a fan thing? Why is anyone convinced he would be a better mentor than Barkley? 

He is older, there for he must be better...Right?

46 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

Seriously, Anderson seems to really into being Allen's  mentor.  He was sitting with him throughout the game.  he seemed to be explaining reads and fine points of the game after most plays, alt least what you could see.

5 hours ago, NewEra said:

I also thought he should be cut.  Now, I just think he should be a healthy scratch each week. Let him sit on the sidelines and rot.  Cutting him just gives him the opportunity to play for a potential playoff team.  He doesn’t deserve the playoffs. He’s garbage.  Quite possibly my most hated bill ever.

I think the coaches are coming around to this. KB’s usage was down this week (51%). Personally I wouldn’t care if it dropped to zero.

Edited by JoPar_v2

5 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yeah - couldn't trade him for anything.  Even if he gets a 1 year junk deal it still counts as the net player lost.  

However if you look at the players that we have on that list... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/buffalo-bills/  - and the likelihood of something of a spending spree.   I don't think 2020 comp picks are in the cards ?

• Like (+1) 1