I think I'm out on McDermott

zow2

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Maybe. Or maybe he's Anthony Lynn who has the Chargers playing significantly better than they have in recent years. 

The point is we need something different, and I'd be fine rolling the dice on someone who learned under Andy Reid given the success his coordinators have had recently. 

Uh wasn't McD a Reid coaching tree product

32 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I'm at this point too. I said no matter what, McDermott has to get 3-5 seasons. Just from a turnover standpoint - it has to stop.

But when you KEEP selecting the wrong coaches - you can't just stick with it for continuity's sake. Offensively, this regime is the most clueless i've seen from a Bills team in my 34 years.

I expected a step back. But they are putting together a HISTORICALLY bad season together. And they consistently make the wrong decisions on that side of the ball. 

I hate to say it - but Sean McDermott is looking like just another coordinator who is very good at his job. But is just not a Head Coach.

Ya that's the thing. The Browns were trying to do the same thing with Hue Jackson.

People can preach continuity all they want but if they guy doesn't have it, then there is no point bringing him back just for the sake of continuity. 

As the Browns found out this year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

The Bills have been exactly what everyone thought they would be going into the year.  If it crashes and burns next year then sure, you should lose faith.  But right now, this year, if you expected anything different then you just weren't paying attention before the start of the year. 

In terms of record, you may be right, but I don't think many predicted we would be blown out in such horrific fashion on a regular basis.  I have a hard time believing that with one year's worth of draft picks and free agent acquisitions we're going to be scoring 30+ points on a regular basis next season.  Is our OC hiding 3/4 of his playbook so as not to tip off coaching staffs for next year's run?  There seems to be little or no adjustments being made on the offensive side of the ball.  Either HC, OC or both need to go now.

In the real world, you hire slowly and fire quickly... hanging on in hopes of dramatic improvement from employees is seldom worth the risk.  IF we do improve offensively next season and start scoring 24 pts per game (which would be a major 2.4X improvement), we're still looking at a .500 season... at which point we'd probably be making changes anyway.  Even considering the "lack of offensive talent" on this roster... I have a very hard time believing that no other available offensive mind could muster more than 2 points in the first half of games (our average outside of the Minnesota game) or more than 10 points per game (our season average).  

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Bills won't fire McDermott, but it's pretty obvious this organization needs to go after a HC with an excellent OFFENSIVE reputation. 

The offensive guys this franchise has gone after to be HC were either dinosaurs or didn't have a sparkling reputation.

The time has come for an offensive HC with a sparkling reputation that can turn Allen into a franchise QB, which Allen obviously has the talent to be.

Edited by njbuff

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

they tried to tank last season and put Peterman in, but he was so horrible they had to go back to Tyrod and then fluked the flukiest fluke in fluking history to "make the playoffs"

everyone???  go back to the prediction threads

Everyone who at least had an idea of the talent we were bringing into the season...Peterman and Allen were our QBs going into Day 1, we lost our two best OL men and traded another, and our WR corps hasn't performed in a couple years. Our defense has finally started to click, but what about our moves this offseason read to anyone more than 4-12? The prediction boards were filled with blind optimists clinging to the faintest possibility that we could compete "if this happens, and that goes this way, then we'll be alright" - there was only ever one way this season was going to go. Not to knock as I too had some confidence before Baltimore that this season may not be that bad, and I was most certainly fooled by Peterman's preseason. But even so, this was always the season we were going to have. There's no point in arguing that.

I don't mean this all to excuse what you are seeing, not in the least - but rather just point out the blatant reality that this was always the dumpsterfire that we were going to see based upon everything that happened after January 2018.

9 minutes ago, ctk232 said:

Everyone who at least had an idea of the talent we were bringing into the season...Peterman and Allen were our QBs going into Day 1, we lost our two best OL men and traded another, and our WR corps hasn't performed in a couple years. Our defense has finally started to click, but what about our moves this offseason read to anyone more than 4-12? The prediction boards were filled with blind optimists clinging to the faintest possibility that we could compete "if this happens, and that goes this way, then we'll be alright" - there was only ever one way this season was going to go. Not to knock as I too had some confidence before Baltimore that this season may not be that bad, and I was most certainly fooled by Peterman's preseason. But even so, this was always the season we were going to have. There's no point in arguing that.

I don't mean this all to excuse what you are seeing, not in the least - but rather just point out the blatant reality that this was always the dumpsterfire that we were going to see based upon everything that happened after January 2018.

i gave my usual 6-10 (happy 20th anniversary of 6-10 predictions)

and expected it to be bad, but not this bad

but many were arguing that this was a legit playoff contender for the first few weeks, a few were quite adamant at 2-3 that this would turn around quickly...  :D

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

they tried to tank last season and put Peterman in, but he was so horrible they had to go back to Tyrod and then fluked the flukiest fluke in fluking history to "make the playoffs"

everyone???  go back to the prediction threads

So they'd be better this year if they had gone 3-13 last season?

How many seasons in a row must a team "tank" in order for that tank to start looking like just plain old sucking?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, clearwater cadet said:

The only thing that brings good offense is a good QB who can see the field and make the throw.  All our problems go away with good Qb play.

Ah hem... Couple solid or better WRs would help a bunch as well, but we had them and McBean let two walk and a third was traded away for crap. How many moves have McBean made that have helped this team vs. those that have hurt the team? We simply suck and here's to Jerry Hughes breaking both of McClappy's wrists the next team he claps on a three and out, or worse yet a turnover. He a crap coach.

39 minutes ago, sullim4 said:

No - I just want a team that's better than the worst offense in modern NFL history.  That's my ask at this point and the team is failing spectacularly at it.

Okay, let's say we have the 20th ranked offense in the NFL this year but we still only have 2 wins. Are you still done with McD? yes, yes you are. 

I'm not done until I see what happens next FA and draft. If we don't address the O properly my pitchfork will most likely come out as well.

AJM

Kerley

Coleman

Are still my biggest ?'s or WTF moments from Beane. 

Also, you need to look at the last draft. Are fans ok with taking the following over O-Line and WR help?

Harrison Phillips

Taron Johnson

Siran Neal

14 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Okay, let's say we have the 20th ranked offense in the NFL this year but we still only have 2 wins. Are you still done with McD? yes, yes you are. 

Nope.  He bought enough goodwill from last year that if the unit was at least competent and competitive, which it would be if it was ranked #20, I'd be fine with it.

The fact that the offense is one of the worst in NFL history, combined with his repeated mistakes in selecting coaching staff on that side of the ball and poor personnel choices (Peterman, DiMarco, Benjamin, etc), should put him on a very hot seat in my view.  I was never thrilled with his selection as head coach, but was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt after reaching the playoffs and putting together solid defenses.

My worry now, after as many blowout losses as this team has experienced, is that he has reached a point where he's lost credibility with the players, fanbase, and front office (aside from Beane).  Talking in platitudes about "the process" gets less effective as horrible results pile up.  It is very hard to recover from a position like that.

1 hour ago, Skins Malone said:

While I would like McD to get another year...simply because I'm sick of constant firings and rebuilds that go no where...I understand the deep frustration and the fact that the Bill are now a joke.

So question...

What coaches are out there that you guys would like the Bill's to hire if McD gets fired anytime in the future?

And this isnt a...well you say fire him give me your solution...I'm honestly curious who is out there and who you guys like.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

With so much invested into Josh Allen, you have to assume Defillip is high on the Bills list if this were to happen. 

I would add, if Reggie McKenzie becomes available, I would probably fire Beane on the spot and bring him in with Defilipo. 

2 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Sure they could have stopped it, gotten us to a 6 or 7 win season, but whats the point of that? 

Because I'm a believer that it's easier to go to 11-5 from 7-9 than it is from 2-14. Because it's important for the development of Josh Allen. 

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

I would add, if Reggie McKenzie becomes available, I would probably fire Beane on the spot and bring him in with Defilipo. 

The issue I think is Allen.  They just brought him in...will a new coach want his own QB?  Then where does that leave Allen.