When $90M isn't really $90M...

15 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

If there isn't one available, then what?

Thats what im afraid of, I think we could sign all the top FAs on the line and WR and still be a bad offense.  Established players on offense wont fix it, and they cant draft talent on offense/ wont make a full impact for at least another year.  Who knows how the spend the cap vs draft

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

No, $$ talks.  They will have no issue.  They will need to overpay, but they will

That's exactly the point of my original post. Thank you for agreeing with me. 

They may have $90M to spend, but every player they sign will cost them significantly more than any other team would have to spend. Free Agency is not going to be a solution to the Offensive problems. Also, the overpayment in terms of total dollars and contract length that the Bills will have to shell out to mediocre talent will only serve to put them in salary cap jail in a few years when these average players inevitably burst into flames. 

McDermott & Beane have already set this team back until 2023. The only hope they have is that Josh Allen turns into Peyton Roethlisbrady next season and is so good that he is able to overcome the abject offensive incompetence of the coaching staff. 

4 minutes ago, twoandfourteen said:

That's exactly the point of my original post. Thank you for agreeing with me. 

They may have $90M to spend, but every player they sign will cost them significantly more than any other team would have to spend. Free Agency is not going to be a solution to the Offensive problems. Also, the overpayment in terms of total dollars and contract length that the Bills will have to shell out to mediocre talent will only serve to put them in salary cap jail in a few years when these average players inevitably burst into flames. 

McDermott & Beane have already set this team back until 2023. The only hope they have is that Josh Allen turns into Peyton Roethlisbrady next season and is so good that he is able to overcome the abject offensive incompetence of the coaching staff. 

We may have to overpay, but if we can sign a few guys like Robert Woods, Sammy Watkins, Marquise Goodwin, and Cordy Glenn, I think we'll be fine.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 11/4/2018 at 6:34 PM, Rc2catch said:

They will have zero problems signing players.

Free agency is the big pay day for established younger players, and for aging vets. 

The older guys may want to chase a ring but that’s not the guys they want anyways. 

Money talks. Best offer wins.

Basically every single team in the nfl overpays in free agency. We will overpay some guys as well. Some guys (Brown in Bal) elect to sign one year “prove it” deals because their market value is too low. In his specific case he may have been smart. A 3 year deal in buffalo could be equal to the one year in Baltimore. His stats started out good this year, so his guaranteed money will go up a lot next year as long as he stays healthy and productive this season, meaning if buffalo wants to offer him a contract next offseason it’ll probably have to be double what it was this past offseason. 

I think they have zero issues bringing in quality free agents. 

We don’t need a #1 receiver, just some weapons. 

Very few teams actually have a true #1 receiver. 

We need some speed, some reliability, and an upgrade on overall talent at receiver, tight end, and offensive line. 

Given the current group do you really think it’s that hard to find better talent? There are going to be guys available, they just might not be superstar house hold names. 

Most teams don't let good players go and resign the goods ones.  You have about 10% of the remaining FAs that are worth the contracts, and that takes great pro personnel guys that know what to look for and who is a good player.  As much as I didn't like Whaley as GM, he was good at identifying pro talent on other teams for the most part (but still bad contracts galore).  Beane's staff has not shown that they are even close in that department, especially on the Offensive side of the ball.   Building through FA is the biggest red herring in the NFL - every team that looks like they make a lot of big moves in FA usually ends up well short of expectations.  You build through the draft and sign your own talent, then supplement it with value FA signings or good trades.  If you can't build through the draft you are dead in the water, because those are the most valuable contracts in the NFL.

Edited by Ayjent
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:57 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

No, $$ talks.  They will have no issue.  They will need to overpay, but they will

isn't this how we got it to our dead cap problem this year....bad contracts? Also,  all teams have cap space and make moves to increase it to sign players they want....The Bills won't be the only team trying to sign players

1 minute ago, nucci said:

isn't this how we got it to our dead cap problem this year....bad contracts? Also,  all teams have cap space and make moves to increase it to sign players they want....The Bills won't be the only team trying to sign players

But they will be their bad contracts not the previous regime's - so that makes it okay.  I actually hope that they don't go stupid and take on a lot of bad contracts that will saddle them for years.  I hope that they stockpile picks and try to build a good solid foundation and keep the money for the guys they want to keep down the road.  They aren't going to fix this team through FA.

On 11/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

I hear a lot of the #TeamProcess guys touting how much cap space McD & Beane created & will have available to them to "rebuild" the offense. Apparently that is supposed to serve as evidence that these guys know what they are doing. 

Do you McBeaners really think ANY free agent of any offensive worth will willingly come here for the going market rate? Do you have any idea just how much you're going to have to overpay to even get one of those guys to return your call? 

There is going to be a MASSIVE tax on Free Agent signings for the Bills during the next offseason. That $90M is going to go pretty quick on the marginal-to-mediocre talent that will inevitably sign here. Not to mention that they are only going to bring in guys that know their Scripture passages as well as they know their playbook, so the talent pool is limited to begin with. 

The intelligent & rational among us will soon realize that Free Agency might as well be seen as irrelevant moving forward. McD's ineptitude and arrogance has set this team back 5-8 years, at least.

5-8 years huh.  How did you arrive at that number

On 11/5/2018 at 5:57 AM, Dablitzkrieg said:

So will every other team if they want high profile players.  That's what the first couple days of Free Agency is.  Bills can grab a lot of good players though.  They are in good shape.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/4/2018 at 4:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

I hear a lot of the #TeamProcess guys touting how much cap space McD & Beane created & will have available to them to "rebuild" the offense. Apparently that is supposed to serve as evidence that these guys know what they are doing. 

Do you McBeaners really think ANY free agent of any offensive worth will willingly come here for the going market rate? Do you have any idea just how much you're going to have to overpay to even get one of those guys to return your call? 

There is going to be a MASSIVE tax on Free Agent signings for the Bills during the next offseason. That $90M is going to go pretty quick on the marginal-to-mediocre talent that will inevitably sign here. Not to mention that they are only going to bring in guys that know their Scripture passages as well as they know their playbook, so the talent pool is limited to begin with. 

The intelligent & rational among us will soon realize that Free Agency might as well be seen as irrelevant moving forward. McD's ineptitude and arrogance has set this team back 5-8 years, at least.

I always find these posts funny. Clearly, posters like you don't pay close enough attention to this team.

Beane has said time and again that he wants to build this team through the draft, and use cap space to keep the good, homegrown players. 

Beane might sign one or two guys to bloated contracts if they are worth it, but I'd expect a lot of depth, 1-year deals to keep cap space available to sign homegrown players. 

Might want to check our GMs philosophy before going on about stuff like this. 

On 11/4/2018 at 2:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

You are missing the whole point of this season

You are CORRECT in that we will probably miss on most of the free agents and while we are going to target other teams will also have cap money......my guess is that we are targeting free agent offensive linemen

THAT IS WHY THE TOP FIVE PICK IS SO important......upgrades are mostly going to come through the draft.  Your chances of hitting on draft picks increase the better postion you are in....not to mention the opportunity to trade down for more picks in the top 3 rounds is greater if you have a premium pick.

16 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

You are missing the whole point of this season

You are CORRECT in that we will probably miss on most of the free agents and while we are going to target other teams will also have cap money......my guess is that we are targeting free agent offensive linemen

THAT IS WHY THE TOP FIVE PICK IS SO important......upgrades are mostly going to come through the draft.  Your chances of hitting on draft picks increase the better postion you are in....not to mention the opportunity to trade down for more picks in the top 3 rounds is greater if you have a premium pick.

They had a good draft on defense last season....here's hoping for a big one on offense.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/5/2018 at 8:39 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

If I were a punter I’d come to Buffalo

i said it in another thread but the sort of offensive innovation that I'd expect from McDermott is a multiple punter formation, that comes in on 3rd down

On 11/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, twoandfourteen said:

I get what you're saying, but overall i don't think it will hamper the Bills ability to sign FA's too much.  Players want $ and a chance to start. They will have that here.  BUF has a young, big arm QB here and a commitment to get much better on offense. 

Also, the intangibles such as the "college like" atmosphere and BillsMafia has circulated around the league and nationally.  Players enjoy being a part of that stuff.  Not all, but some will want to come here. And the draft picks will have no choice in the matter.