Beane Acknowledges QB "Mistake" by Not Getting Anderson Sooner

Beane Takes Accountability for QB 'mistake'

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane, unlike McDermott, admitted to the Buffalo News this week that he made mistakes in regard to the quarterback position.

Beane traded away AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders after Peterman beat him out for the starting job. Beane then waited until October to sign another veteran option until in Anderson. The GM called it like he saw it, and he didn’t even need to watch the tape to make his analysis.

“In hindsight, I made a mistake. I should have got Derek here as quick as possible, once we let AJ go,” Beane said. “We (traded McCarron) right as we’re putting that roster together, the final 53, and you’re trying to protect as many guys as you can. Some guys are not going to help you immediately at the beginning of the year. They’re young players that aren’t necessarily ready to play, but there is a talent there and you feel like someone else would take them from you if you exposed them. So you’re weighing that balance of who you can let go. It’s probably close to split, I don’t know the numbers this year, but in the past of teams that keep two quarterbacks and teams that keep three. So we’re trying to wait a week or two in to get Derek. We had a couple injuries, but again, I erred. I shouldn’t have worried about it. I should have just got him here. I’m glad I got him here when I did, but at the same time, I’m mad at myself that I didn’t get him here immediately.”
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Unfair to make the statement "unlike McD".  He is not the GM and should defer any comment on this to Beane. 

Also unfair because McD admitted his mistake when he started Peterman in the Chargers game last year.

Everyone screws up now and then; I respect leaders who own their mistakes and move forward instead of blaming others.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane Takes Accountability for QB 'mistake'

Buffalo general manager Brandon Beane, unlike McDermott, admitted to the Buffalo News this week that he made mistakes in regard to the quarterback position.

Beane traded away AJ McCarron to the Oakland Raiders after Peterman beat him out for the starting job. Beane then waited until October to sign another veteran option until in Anderson. The GM called it like he saw it, and he didn’t even need to watch the tape to make his analysis.

“In hindsight, I made a mistake. I should have got Derek here as quick as possible, once we let AJ go,” Beane said. “We (traded McCarron) right as we’re putting that roster together, the final 53, and you’re trying to protect as many guys as you can. Some guys are not going to help you immediately at the beginning of the year. They’re young players that aren’t necessarily ready to play, but there is a talent there and you feel like someone else would take them from you if you exposed them. So you’re weighing that balance of who you can let go. It’s probably close to split, I don’t know the numbers this year, but in the past of teams that keep two quarterbacks and teams that keep three. So we’re trying to wait a week or two in to get Derek. We had a couple injuries, but again, I erred. I shouldn’t have worried about it. I should have just got him here. I’m glad I got him here when I did, but at the same time, I’m mad at myself that I didn’t get him here immediately.”

What else is he going to say? What's obvious is obvious. He would look even more foolish if he tried to defend his decision of waiting to bring in another qb when the outcome clearly hurt the team. If he would have gambled by not addressing another position that would have been understandable because you can internally fill in for a void. But with the qb position if the backup issue is not addressed, especially when your OL is dangerously porous, then that gamble is an act of irresponsibility.

To his credit it is refreshing that a person in his position is willing to be candid and not give a non-sensical robotic response.  

18 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

My dad always says "Learn by doing." 

I make mistakes at work and hopefully won't repeat them.

Let's hope it doesn't happen again at ANY position on the team.

***Side note: WHAT THE F, BRANDON? Do better please!*** 

Yep. Admitting the problem is a good step. 

15 minutes ago, rodneykm said:

Absolutely love that he's not too big to admit when he's made a mistake. This should encourage everyone. Now, the key part is learning from those mistakes. 

Even though no longer a part of the organization, I don't know if we want/need to hear Russ Brandon's mistakes.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is both refreshing and encouraging to read.  He could have easily bullshitted or simply stayed silent.  I'm glad to see this.

For sure- integrity speaks volumes in any business! Hopefully he learns and we can get better across the board.

• Like (+1) 1

Can we call this a mistake?

Derek Anderson has played exactly like a 35 year old career backup who had to be talked out of retirement. 

He's thrown 4 interceptions and has 2 fumbles, with 0 TDs. 

I mean is anyone sad he's gone? Or still think he's a meaningful improvement over what we had?

I don't. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Can we call this a mistake?

Derek Anderson has played exactly like a 35 year old career backup who had to be talked out of retirement. 

He's thrown 4 interceptions and has 2 fumbles, with 0 TDs. 

I mean is anyone sad he's gone? Or still think he's a meaningful improvement over what we had?

I don't. 

He's rusty as hell.  If he were in earlier, the level of preparedness would be better in terms of knowing the offense and personnel. 

• Like (+1) 1

Half way to admitting the real truth - Anderson is not a competent QB and should not start in the NFL.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

He's rusty as hell.  If he were in earlier, the level of preparedness would be better in terms of knowing the offense and personnel. 

Oh please - he has never been a good QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, peace out said:

Half way to admitting the real truth - Anderson is not a competent QB and should not start in the NFL.

Oh please - he has never been a good QB.

That's not at all what I said and he wasn't brought in to play as a starter. 

no gm is perfect and qb is one of the most mismanaged positions there is.  Look at the packers last year when favre went down. How did they not know Hundley was terrible?  So many other examples.  The eagles with Foles are such an anomaly. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

That's not at all what I said and he wasn't brought in to play as a starter. 

The mistake of bringing in Anderson late is a few mistakes down the line too many in regards to the QB position for me to congratulate Beane on his "honesty" here.

Edited by peace out
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, peace out said:

The mistake of bringing in Anderson late is a few mistakes down the line too many in regards to the QB position. 

They made the decisions they made at that point with few good to decent options remaining.  That's squarely on Beane and McDermott. 

• Like (+1) 1