How many coaches/GMs survive a tank?

uticaclub

27 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Or, even easier, we could've just drafted Mahomes and played out the season the exact same way.

Then come the offseason, we don't have to trade Glenn, lose a bunch of picks to move up to draft a QB, and already have a QB who sat a year while learning the pro game. But you said makes sense too :)

There's about four or five teams in the draft who picked before the Mahomes pick that wish they made that move.

Just now, reddogblitz said:

True, but it's a little different when you trade out of the pick and the team you traded with takes him. OUCH

And when you've had a reason to go QB with your first pick for what? 20 out of the last 30 years? And that's just doing it by common NFL standards. Maybe it's 15, but they take far too little chances on QBs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully none survive  because this ain't the NBA with Michale Jordan or Kevin Durant on the table. It's miles Garret overall some years.. cool. Don't tank in the NFL, you're compensating for sucking at drafting. Nobody is a sure fire thing and anybody in the first round has pretty slim margins of being the guy. See: Sammy Watkins over ODB. Everybody would have taken Sammy he had the best WR draft profile since Julio Jones and better than AJ Green. Cool, let's tank and play craoshoot that doesn't make much difference. Tank city!

On 11/2/2018 at 7:46 AM, nedboy7 said:

This ain’t a tank. It’s a collapse. How many GMs survive completely destroying the QB position after making the playoffs (no matter how they made the playoffs) the previous year.  But your point is valid! 

Releasing Tyrod was not destroying the QB position.  There was no further upside there.  This regime is all in on Allen, for better or worse.  He was and is a project.  Wasting money on any of the other QBs this off season would have been just that, wasted money.

The question is interesting though.  Does this relate to McDermott, or Gruden?  Gruden has a phenomenally long contract, so he may actually get to see it through.  McDermott made the playoffs his first year, so he won't get as much leeway, but I think he's earned far more rope than most of his recent predecessors.   

10 minutes ago, familykwi said:

Wasting money on any of the other QBs this off season would have been just that, wasted money.

It's salary cap room we have. Are you worried about the Pegulas bank account getting in the way of us not trotting the worst offense in history? 

Cause I don't really care about billionaires money

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

True, but it's a little different when you trade out of the pick and the team you traded with takes him. OUCH

I can't disagree with that.  The kid is special and should be for a long time.  A good rule of thumb from now on should be if Andy Reid calls you to trade up, find out what QB he's targeting and take that QB.  

Edited by Doc Brown

15 hours ago, row_33 said:

What does baseball have to do with football?

nothing

So you did not even read the question that was asked in the OP?  

It literally asks “in any sport” 

Way to “peterman” this thread up.

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

3 times in the exchange I had to tell you that 3 is not "a couple".

It's clearly a throuple.

But by all means get mad at me for your oversight.:flirt:

Bottom line.......I don't put what Ryan has done on par with Brady or Big Ben or Rodgers or even Russ...........if you do.........then good for you.   

Nobody else does.

Not mad, actually. All I ask is that you address his production compared to those two and factor in that he did what needed to do to win that fricking game vs. NE. Do you not put Rivers in their category? Roethliberger is a great player, but I don't think he's as good as Rivers. You also made an argument about "sandwiching" and applied it to years before the year zero of this debate - the year Ryan actually came on the scene! Finally, you also didn't address the point I raised about the truly horrible Atl D in the years before Quinn arrived. That stuff matters in debates like this because as you know, the QB is hardly solely responsible for a w-l record.

Edited by dave mcbride

8 hours ago, familykwi said:

Releasing Tyrod was not destroying the QB position.  There was no further upside there.  This regime is all in on Allen, for better or worse.  He was and is a project.  Wasting money on any of the other QBs this off season would have been just that, wasted money.

The question is interesting though.  Does this relate to McDermott, or Gruden?  Gruden has a phenomenally long contract, so he may actually get to see it through.  McDermott made the playoffs his first year, so he won't get as much leeway, but I think he's earned far more rope than most of his recent predecessors.   

Going all in on a rookie with no backup is a huge mistake.  It’s dumb. Having an avg solid qb knowing you are moving on from him when the time comes is not a waste of money.  The current situation proves this point. 

2 hours ago, Nester said:

So you did not even read the question that was asked in the OP?  

It literally asks “in any sport” 

Way to “peterman” this thread up.

You really cant compare the NFL tank to any other sport. NHL, MLB, NBA all have developmental minor league, NFL does not therefore is not comparable. 

On 11/2/2018 at 9:50 AM, uticaclub said:

thank you, so nothing in the Free Agency era. Also, that was the first year of coaching for both of them. They took over bad teams, that's why they were new coaches. They didn't dump all the talent to intentionally try to get top picks

Dallas traded Herschel Walker for a ton of picks 

• Like (+1) 1

This offense is the result of hubris, not conscious decision to purposely lose. 

The front office wanted to cut salary and do it quickly. It’s obvious that they were not trying to put the best product on the field that they could. They were thinking of the future while trying to keep just enough talent.

Not putting their best product on the field is not the same as “tanking.” That implies they are purposely trying to lose games for draft picks. McDermott is much too competitive a guy for that to be okay with him. I’m sure he thought that, much like last season, he could coach this team to more wins than the talent suggested. I’m sure he expected more from the QB position, more from Benjamin and a much more productive running game. He was wrong about the talent on O and his staff’s ability to “coach them up.”

The fact that they are continuously trying to improve the offense with mid season additions (Coleman and Pryor for example) tells me that they are trying to win games. Otherwise, what’s the point? These guys didn’t sign multi year deals.

Unless there are posters that have another definition of “tank” than “trying to lose as many games as possible to improve draft position” I’m not sure you could qualify this as a tank.

Its just bad football.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/2/2018 at 4:45 PM, Fadingpain said:

This team went to the playoffs last year.  Why did it all need to be torn down? 

What it needed was a QB better than Tyrod, and in theory, we got that in last year's draft without having a high pick resulting from a bad year.

So why the tear down?  If you think Allen is the man,  (and McBeane do) then we had a playoff team with the man at QB going into this season.  

Again, why the tear down?

I'm not to argue whether they should or shouldnt have. But once they decide to do, I'm glad they went all out.

If your going to do something, commit to it and own it