How many coaches/GMs survive a tank?

uticaclub

Serious question. Not a fan of giving away talent in order to bring in "your guys" since I believe in tanking breeds losing. I'm just wondering if anyone can come up with an example from any sport, where a coach/gm started a tank and where there to see a championship.

• Like (+1) 2

This ain’t a tank. It’s a collapse. How many GMs survive completely destroying the QB position after making the playoffs (no matter how they made the playoffs) the previous year.  But your point is valid! 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Cowboys, Jimmy Johnson 1989 (1-15). Steelers, Chuck Noll 1969 (1-13). 

thank you, so nothing in the Free Agency era. Also, that was the first year of coaching for both of them. They took over bad teams, that's why they were new coaches. They didn't dump all the talent to intentionally try to get top picks

Edited by uticaclub
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Interesting.  If I was a coach, I wouldn't even touch the idea of a tank unless I knew I had four to five guaranteed years. 

5 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

This ain’t a tank. It’s a collapse. How many GMs survive completely destroying the QB position after making the playoffs (no matter how they made the playoffs) the previous year.  But your point is valid! 

No, its a tank.  You just aren't happy about it.  

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Interesting.  If I was a coach, I wouldn't even touch the idea of a tank unless I knew I had four to five guaranteed years. 

Nope. It has nothing to do with my feelings. It’s perfectly clear. It’s a major duck up. 

20 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

thank you, so nothing in the Free Agency era. Also, that was the first year of coaching for both of them. They took over bad teams, that's why they were new coaches. They didn't dump all the talent to intentionally try to get top picks

Belichick went 5-11 his 1st year with the Patsies and obviously no playoffs. They were 8-8 the year before he got there, and a couple years before that were in the SB under Bill Parcells, so they weren't exactly a dumpster fire of a franchise when he took over.

19 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Really?  Who are they tanking for?  A defensive lineman?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Really?  Who are they tanking for?  A defensive lineman?

Talent. Tanking is more than just the first round pick.  Its about being in possession to trade back or select high in each round, selecting the highest possible talent at each stage of the draft.  That is without even addressing the abundant cap space cleared up to obtain free agents.  

32 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Cowboys, Jimmy Johnson 1989 (1-15). Steelers, Chuck Noll 1969 (1-13). 

Cowboys were 3-13 in 1988 and drafted Aikman.  While 1-15 were not blown out too much.....   

Pittsburgh coming off a 2 win season and were blown out in 4 straight games, but then righted the ship (still losing).  Next year they got Terry Bradshaw....

The difference here is there is no Offense and that side of the ball was dessimated and the Bills are blown out way too often.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

If you think this is a tank. You dont understand the meaning. This a drastic over evaluation of the offensive talent.

Hard disagree, they got rid of their starting QB and spent most of their capital to draft a QB that needed a red-shirt year.  Maybe its not the classic version of a tank, but they obviously didn't care about what happened this year and were building for the future.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Talent. Tanking is more than just the first round pick.  Its about being in possession to trade back or select high in each round, selecting the highest possible talent at each stage of the draft.  That is without even addressing the abundant cap space cleared up to obtain free agents.  

If this year’s disaster on offense is part of their plan, then they should be fired now for the sheer idiocy of said plan.  It has literally never worked in the modern history of the NFL.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, mannc said:

If this year’s disaster on offense is part of their plan, then they should be fired now for the sheer idiocy of said plan.  It has literally never worked in the modern history of the NFL.  

Its literally working for KC right now.  They drafted their future, sat him for a year, and are now moving forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Its literally working for KC right now.  They drafted their future, sat him for a year, and are now moving forward. 

They had a real QB while he sat!!!!  You don’t get this????  This is nothing like what KC did. 

Edited by nedboy7
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

To be fair, and I could be wrong..... But has there ever been a gm/coach duo who has actually attempted this on this large of a scale? I know plenty of gm’s  who came in and moved a few guys. Just not sure I have ever seen anyone almost completely gut a team and completely rebuild it. 

I personally don’t like the product on offense this year but I actually like what they have done and the position they’re in for next season and the future. I’m a little on the fence on Allen so it all hinges on that 

We're talking about a rebuild where they are on track for one of the top 10 worst offensive scoring performances since the league went to a 16 game schedule in 1978. 

Here are the lowest scoring teams since 1978 and their season records:

1. 1992 SEA 140 points for (PF)  3-13

2. 1991 IND 143 PF 1-15

3. 2000 CLE 161 PF 3-13

1998 PHI 161 PF 3-13

5. 2006 OAK 168 PF 2-14

6. 2009 STL 175 PF 1-15

7. 1990 NE 181 PF 1-15

8. 2000 CIN 185 PF 4-12

9. 1993 CIN 187 PF 3-13

10. 2011 STL 193 PF 2-14 

Buffalo is on track to score 174 points this season, or 6th worst in the last 41 seasons.  This isn't a rebuild, it's managerial ineptitude and this ship isn't getting turned around in one off-season either. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2