Bombs in Mail to Democrat Leaders?

Cinga

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"Powder-sprinkled."  No evidence it was anthrax.  Not-very-good guess as to why: they wanted to make this seem more scary than it actually is.  

Really, I doubt this is any sort of "deep state" conspiracy.  This is all very half-assed work.  I could do better.

So we can remove you from the suspect list is what you are saying??

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

"Powder-sprinkled."  No evidence it was anthrax.  Not-very-good guess as to why: they wanted to make this seem more scary than it actually is.  

Really, I doubt this is any sort of "deep state" conspiracy.  This is all very half-assed work.  I could do better.

Since all we can do is speculate at this time I will speculate that it was the work of planting a plot to look like the work of what a leftist would perceive a Trump follower to be capable or incapable of doing.  Usually, a nut is focused on a specific target as opposed to a group when it comes to a lone wolf.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DC Tom said:

It leads to no such conclusion.  Remember: Palestinian bombers - professional terrorists - once blew themselves early up because they forgot to adjust their timers for daylight savings.  More recently: someone tried to bomb Times Square by lighting a bag of MiracleGro (because, fertilizer!)  Less recently: Aum Shinrikyo tried at least five times to attack Japanese subways and buildings with chem and bio-weapons, before they finally succeeded.

Half-assed failed attacks happen all the time.  This could easily be one.  

Two weeks before an election.........it remains a statement as opposed to "threat".

it works both ways Thomas, older terrorist failed attempts do not necessarily reflect on this.

No one has been killed or injured (thankfully) and no matter what type of lunatic sent these, 

The media response was the actual target.....................and in that he/she succeded.

Just now, RochesterRob said:

Since all we can do is speculate at this time I will speculate that it was the work of planting a plot to look like the work of what a leftist would perceive a Trump follower to be capable or incapable of doing.  Usually, a nut is focused on a specific target as opposed to a group when it comes to a lone wolf.

Would have been more focused and better-planned.  The signature is unplanned, and almost impulsive in some ways.  

Still speculation, obviously...but look at what the available evidence - the signature - indicates about the assailant's state of mind, rather than his supposed beliefs.  You can fake belief...you can never fake your internal psychology.

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

So we can remove you from the suspect list is what you are saying??

Yes. 

When I try to kill someone, they don't stand around complaining about it afterwards.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

LA touched on this earlier in the thread, but people on the right are generally competent while people on the left tend to hook up their bombs with rainbows because it makes them feel better.

1 minute ago, DC Tom said:

Would have been more focused and better-planned.  The signature is unplanned, and almost impulsive in some ways.  

Still speculation, obviously...but look at what the available evidence - the signature - indicates about the assailant's state of mind, rather than his supposed beliefs.  You can fake belief...you can never fake your internal psychology.

Don't most leftists perceive the typical Trump follower as disorganized (unplanned) and prone to sudden emotion (impulsive)?

2 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Two weeks before an election.........it remains a statement as opposed to "threat".

it works both ways Thomas, older terrorist failed attempts do not necessarily reflect on this.

No one has been killed or injured (thankfully) and no matter what type of lunatic sent these, 

The media response was the actual target.....................and in that he/she succeded.

No it doesn't work both ways.  You're inferring motive from ambiguous indicators.  Factually, the only motive we have is: he wanted to send bombs to Democratic symbols of leadership.

That does mean it's a symbolic act, to some degree.  It does not mean the bombs were intended to fail, or that they symbolism was targeted to media coverage.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Don't most leftists perceive the typical Trump follower as disorganized (unplanned) and prone to sudden emotion (impulsive)?

If they do it's only because they have a habit of attributing to others how they themselves act.

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Yes, but you can't fake a lack of planning.  Because to fake it, ultimately means you're planning it. 

It's a fundamental principle of profiling: basically, at the risk of oversimplifying, you can't hide who you are.  You can't fake disorganization, because you have to be organized to fake it.

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

psychopaths may beg to differ with you here. for reference, one might want to consult @The_Dude

No, they wouldn't.  In fact, that's what makes them sociopaths: the lack of empathy for others, that allows them to fake and manipulate emotions.  They can act normal, but they can't fake their internal lack of empathy - it still shows in their actions.

4 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Yes, but you can't fake a lack of planning.  Because to fake it, ultimately means you're planning it. 

It's a fundamental principle of profiling: basically, at the risk of oversimplifying, you can't hide who you are.  You can't fake disorganization, because you have to be organized to fake it.

Maybe you and I and the rest of this board cannot fake it but I sincerely believe such people do exist.  Whether they have reached their "calling" is another matter.

4 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I wouldn't be shocked if this was a Russian influence campaign designed to help Dems. 

I wonder if President Due Process would be blaming a 400 pound mattress dweller if intelligence determined that to be the case.

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't know about this one, cat hair busted her: 

Nov 24, 2017 · Julia Poff nursed a grudge that prompted her to mail homemade explosive devices to President Barack Obama and Greg Abbott, the governor of Texas, the authorities said, adding that hair ...

2 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

***** you, Zucker. 

it's readily apparent that CNN doesn't understand that their words matter and have most likely contributed more to the current environment than anything Trump has done or will do.

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

It just seems off to me. Something so coordinated with no detonations. Whoever did this would seemingly have the capacity to ensure some kind of actual effect.

I don't believe the RW conspiracies that it was orchestrated by the left, but it's definitely odd.

That's why I'm thinking it could potentially be Russia.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

It just seems off to me. Something so coordinated with no detonations. Whoever did this would seemingly have the capacity to ensure some kind of actual effect.

You know what would really elevate that thought? Social media marketing.

Like, if you could coordinate bombs, then suddenly Twitter trended with something like, oh, I don't know...how about a catch phrase like #magabomber?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I don't believe the RW conspiracies that it was orchestrated by the left, but it's definitely odd.

Can't discount Russia but they would have to worry that such a move would backfire just as easily as it might succeed.  Just seems that Putin would save his ammo for a more sure thing with a clearer objective.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LABillzFan said:

You know what would really elevate that thought? Social media marketing.

Like, if you could coordinate bombs, then suddenly Twitter trended with something like, oh, I don't know...how about a catch phrase like #magabomber?

That's a reach.

People on Twitter are pretty clever and Magabomber is not that difficult to concoct on the fly.

10 minutes ago, LABillzFan said:

#MAGABOMBER trending on Twitter.

Sometimes these things feel a bit planned, no? Coordinated? Orchestrated?

Maybe it's just me.

Twitter doesn't believe in free speech (per Jack's recent comments), and they're artificially pushing that hashtag now on the platform. 

This will bite them hard when they're regulated soon. 

9 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

There are conspiracies flying equally from both sides of the political aisle. It's not just RW, it's LW as well. Some pushing MAGABomber, others pushing Soros FF. The reality is that neither group is unified or monolithic, and in fact there's overlap between the two (RW/LW) inside the political establishment itself. 

A nation state orchestrating this, such as Russia, isn't impossible but it would be a VERY risky move on their part. That would be nothing short of an act of war, not terror, and everything we've seen from Putin post Trump is that he wants nothing to do with creating a shooting war with the US (look what happened in Syria to his mercs when they simply amassed for example). 

The most likely culprits, in order of probability: 

1) A domestic terror group: could be DSA, could be a MAGA fringe, but it seems likely there are more than one person involved based on how many packages were delivered/coordinated. 

2) A lone nut: again, could go either way politically. 

(then way down the list in terms of odds)

3) A FF operation planned either by Soros/DS/Cabal

4) A FF planned by MI to provide cover for evidence grabbing in cabal strongholds. 

I'd put Russia lower than 3 and 4 on this list (imo)

:beer: 

Edited by Deranged Rhino

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

***** you, Zucker. 

Ratings not what you're hoping for Jeff?  You are certainly waging war on this white house and it's your war to lose and you are losing.  You might try more objective reporting.  You don't have to admit surrender, just make some adjustments that will benefit your business. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

That's a reach.

People on Twitter are pretty clever and Magabomber is not that difficult to concoct on the fly.

I agree. I mean, it's not like Twitter actively shadow-bans conservatives and pushes hashtags for liberals or anything like that.

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

Can't discount Russia but they would have to worry that such a move would backfire just as easily as it might succeed.  Just seems that Putin would save his ammo for a more sure thing with a clearer objective.

Unless they have quasi comprimate on Trump and he can't launch a full fledged attack. I'm not talking collusion and I've never gone down that road because there's no evidence.

It's all a guessing game at this point, but it's definitely odd.