I was very wrong about Tyrod & have to own it.

27 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Realistically with Tyrod we'd be in a better situation, Josh Allen already got hurt, nearly had to have Tommy John surgery mind you and this is our 1st pick in the draft. Some say you dump Tyrod and pickup a new guy, that's just silliness we already had a capable vet on the roster. Too bad.

The problem was the amount of money he was making. FO did the smart move in trading and getting a 3rd. The relationship had run its course and it was time to move on. The bad move was relying on Peterman and not having a veteran QB on the roster after trading McCarron.

14 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

The problem was the amount of money he was making. FO did the smart move in trading and getting a 3rd. The relationship had run its course and it was time to move on. The bad move was relying on Peterman and not having a veteran QB on the roster after trading McCarron.

Tyrod is better than McCarron, also we couldn't get Cousins, Bradford or Keenum to come here because they knew our offense was going to struggle. Either way, I don't think a 3rd is worth tanking for and Allen's career was almost destroyed because of it, gross mismanagement, sloppy work by McD.

Tyrod still has one of the best TD to INT ratios in NFL history. His numbers are beyond Doug Dlutie levels & one can argue the offensive skill position quality degraded around him from 2015-2017. Yet he was able to make the playoffs with a bottom 1/3 defense and a little Flutie luck. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

...yet he would be a MASSIVE upgrade on our team. He was never the problem; he just wasn’t the solution. Anyone that thought otherwise has been humbled (and corrected) this season. 

Well said.  Allen actually has protected the ball reasonably well for a rookie.  Peterman and now Anderson are the turnover machines that TT never was.

1 hour ago, longtimebillsfan said:

The story line is that the Bills must clear the dead money  so we have room to sign free agents in the off season.  It was expected that we would suffer through one difficult year.  The brain trust did not want to get involved with any new long term contract this year.  That is why we suck.

You understand that the brain trust created the dead money?  They were not in a salary cap jail.  This is all made by Beane.  They could have kept TT and still drafted Allen and had money to spare.  Dareus money is not much different than non-existent Star.  Murphy money did not need to be spent.

This mess is man made.  And there is no reason to believe Beane will make decent choices with the cap space next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Well said.  Allen actually has protected the ball reasonably well for a rookie.  Peterman and now Anderson are the turnover machines that TT never was.

You understand that the brain trust created the dead money?  They were not in a salary cap jail.  This is all made by Beane.  They could have kept TT and still drafted Allen and had money to spare.  Dareus money is not much different than non-existent Star.  Murphy money did not need to be spent.

This mess is man made.  And there is no reason to believe Beane will make decent choices with the cap space next year.

I agree with you that we should have kept TT.  He got us to the playoffs.  Beane did add to the dead money was contributed to the mess. But a significant amount was created before McBeane arrived.   Regardless,  we will be clear of most of this going into 2019.  If the team can be competitive in 2019.  I am on board.   If there is not a substantial improvement,  it may be time to move on to new management.   I would hate to see this happen changing management every three years is a formula for failure. 

10 hours ago, John in Jax said:

How in Holy H*ll did the Bills beat the Vikings...and in MN too!? LOL I guess I'll fall back to "On any given Sunday....."

The Vikings players and coaches looked at film of the Bills first two games, laughed and started preparing for their game vs the Rams the following Thursday

Look, I'm not going to rub this in for one simple reason I'm finally and truly accepting... despite my belief before this season we could make another playoff run:

It's not about this season.

Yes, Tyrod Taylor was very underrated by a lot of hyperbolic Bills fans like yourself.

Yes, Tyrod Taylor would have been massively better to have on our roster than AJ McCarron during the Summer if we're talking about 2018.

Yes, he was still under contract, anyway, so keeping him much to the chagrin of fans like yourself was absolutely an option.

But honestly, it's not about this season.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I think we have the most 1st or 2nd year players starting or seeing significant time on the field in the NFL. And guys like Edmunds, Phillips, Taron Johnson, Dawkins, Milano, Zay (lately) and White all look good to spectacular.

Allen is obviously still a question mark.

The biggest and most important one.

But if Allen improves and becomes a Franchise QB, our future looks incredibly bright... maybe as soon as next year.

If he doesn't, well that sucks, because it all hinges on him.

But keeping Taylor might have helped us this year, but I actually personally think Allen--when healthy--just needs to be on the field playing. Trial by fire. Let him learn on the field. Keeping Taylor would have hindered that.

9 hours ago, The Red King said:

The offense sucked with Tyrod.  The offense sucked with Peterman.  The offensive sucked with Allen.  The offense sucked with Anderson.  Maybe, just maybe, QB isn't the only/biggest concern with the offense.

Tyrod is Tyrod.  He got benched in Cleveland for playing just like he did in Buffalo.  Nobody here that wanted Tyrod gone is eating crow.  The mistake wasn't getting rid of Tyrod, it was in not bringing in a FA to start and mentor Allen.  That's where the fault lies, at least at the QB position.

We did bring in a FA.

His name was AJ McCarron.

Many here believed he would be a massive upgrade on Taylor and our passing game would finally get the shot in the arm they felt we needed.

They were wrong.

Plus, how's Bradford doing in Minnesota?

Or Keenum in Denver?

Were those guys really the answer?

We should have kept McCarron and sucked it up. Starting Peterman is the worst mistake this regime has ever made, last year or this year. Now. We deal.

Edited by transplantbillsfan

2 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Look, I'm not going to rub this in for one simple reason I'm finally and truly accepting... despite my belief before this season we could make another playoff run:

It's not about this season.

Yes, Tyrod Taylor was very underrated by a lot of hyperbolic Bills fans like yourself.

Yes, Tyrod Taylor would have been massively better to have on our roster than AJ McCarron during the Summer if we're talking about 2018.

Yes, he was still under contract, anyway, so keeping him much to the chagrin of fans like yourself was absolutely an option.

But honestly, it's not about this season.

I don't remember where I saw it, but I think we have the most 1st or 2nd year players starting or seeing significant time on the field in the NFL. And guys like Edmunds, Phillips, Taron Johnson, Dawkins, Milano, Zay (lately) and White all look good to spectacular.

Allen is obviously still a question mark.

The biggest and most important one.

But if Allen improves and becomes a Franchise QB, our future looks incredibly bright... maybe as soon as next year.

If he doesn't, well that sucks, because it all hinges on him.

But keeping Taylor might have helped us this year, but I actually personally think Allen--when healthy--just needs to be on the field playing. Trial by fire. Let him learn on the field. Keeping Taylor would have hindered that.

Just to be clear -- I still don't want TT back here & I'm glad he found his spot on the bench in Cleveland. He's a career backup with a very low ceiling. However, at least he belongs on an NFL roster and is probably in the 35-40 range at the position. DA & NP are best suited for retirement & Hunt Real Estate, respectively. 

Like I said, I was wrong about how bad it could get -- not my assessment of TT as a QB. He is what he is. With Tyrod, you probably lose 17-5 instead of getting blown out. Taylor's blowout losses generally came against the teams with winning records.

However,  at least he kept the team from total humiliation. DA & NP are punchlines. That's how low the bar is around here. Taylor was a bad starting QB, but he was at least a somewhat respectable -- yet, desperate -- option for a struggling team.  

3 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

We did bring in a FA.

His name was AJ McCarron.

Many here believed he would be a massive upgrade on Taylor and our passing game would finally get the shot in the arm they felt we needed.

They were wrong.

Plus, how's Bradford doing in Minnesota?

Or Keenum in Denver?

Were those guys really the answer?

We should have kept McCarron and sucked it up. Starting Peterman is the worst mistake this regime has ever made, last year or this year. Now. We deal.

They were right to see what they had in NP last year. Taylor was a mess and something had to be done. I don't blame them for starting NP last year. 

However, after what we've seen since then -- it's inexcusable that NP is still on this roster and when considered in the context of the current state of the QB position, it should really give the owners reason to start to seriously consider dismissal. 

16 hours ago, twoandfourteen said:

Last year, I said that the passing offense couldn't get worse than it was under Tyrod. 

Boy was I wrong.

I honestly didn't think it was really possible for a collection of professional coaches & players to perform as poorly on offense as they have this season. 

Beane & McDermott deserve to be fired at the end of this season. 

We said the same thing about Fitz, that it couldn't get any worse. And it did. That's our karma now.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Skins Malone said:

Idk about being fired but this is pretty damn bad.  And i like McD.  But wtf there is no excuse for an offense to be this bad

We had 5 linemen last year. 3 were pretty good. 2 were awful. 

2 of the 3 pretty good players retired. We have 4 out of 5 awful linemen right now.

We have zero talent at the WR position. Nobody can succeed with this. 

Lets work on fixing those two issues and then reevaluate the offense. 

Edited by Ramza86

I give you kudos for admitting it. In the time leading up to the season I predict the Bills 6-10 and said they'd miss Taylor just because he was at least safe with the ball. People ridiculed and ripped it thinking it couldn't get worse. Well it can. Remember Taylor at QB they probably beat the Texans and yesterday its more like a 20-5 loss. I had no issue with the Bills wanting to be aggressive at QB and going for Allen it was frankly refreshing. I maybe would've kept Taylor for Allen to sit behind but I understood their logic.

Whats annoying is people jumping off the deep end with Beane and McD. Don't get me wrong they deserve criticism and justly for the teams performance. I have said Beane failed by not being more aggressive for a WR this offseason or bringing in a more established vet at QB. McD's love affair with Peterman has hurt them twice. But the long view is the team needed a true reset. 95% of the time reset's where you move out bad money and restock hurt like hell. The defense is a good unit and set for a good number of years. The offense is going to be a work in progress and you may not see what its suppose to truly be until 2020. They should be playoff competitive next season anything less and yea bring the torches to put the pressure on.

To think Tyrod would be the remedy for the current Bills ails is comical. 

Would Tyrod be better than Allen has been, sure probably but it's no guarantee, 19 pass yards in a half and being benched for a rookie suggests that. Oh and Cleveland has way way way better offensive weapons than what is here in Buffalo. Heck I don't even know if McDermott is better than Hue Jackson anymore.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

How does anyone know this?

Is it because of the WR he has as his QBs coach? Is it because of how he has been lighting the league on fire up til his injury?

He was supposed to be the QB that would need the most coaching/development in order to have a chance to reach his potential and be a franchise starter

7-9 & 9-7 would be a huge upgrade

How are those browns doing since their first win in over 2 years?

You don't just magically go from drafting 1st overall to SB contender unless you already had a good team in place and the 1st overall year was because of some fluke injury that cost the team

10 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

How does anyone know this?

Is it because of the WR he has as his QBs coach? Is it because of how he has been lighting the league on fire up til his injury?

He was supposed to be the QB that would need the most coaching/development in order to have a chance to reach his potential and be a franchise starter

7-9 & 9-7 would be a huge upgrade

How are those browns doing since their first win in over 2 years?

You don't just magically go from drafting 1st overall to SB contender unless you already had a good team in place and the 1st overall year was because of some fluke injury that cost the team

Short sighted thinking.if you are happy with always being 7-9 then by all means have a tantrum that they are not good enough this year. If they don’t make progress next year then I agree this wa a failure. But if you don’t understand why this year is happening, then nobody can help you.

• Like (+1) 1

noone was wrong about Tyrod except the national media... we all knew what we had in him. He was  good enough to get you to 8-9 wins and maybe the playoffs with good defense. He was careful with the ball, made plays with his legs, but wasn't a good or consistent passer.

Bills could have kept him around for this year but eventually we would have moved on. He was never going to light the world on fire passing and he wouldn't have won us a super bowl.

Are we worse now? Yes, but that doesn't change the facts about Tyrod. He lasted how many weeks in Cleveland?

Tyrod covered up a lot of bad play while with the Bills. The Bills Oline has been awful for 20 years, Tyrod was just a good coverup for them. His problem is teams built a book on him and he can't do that thing great players do. He can't overcome the book on him. So that's why he's seemingly worse every year. He's still the same player, teams just know how to play him.

This is why I think Beane has failed. How can fans see this but the GM cannot? He's not a real GM. Also why not just stop pacifying fans and go young. It's the right thing to do. Lose all these names. Stop signing names. Draft it. Sign up and comers. No names. I swear this guy is Tom Donahoe crossed with Russ Brandon. Draft athletes, sign/trade for names. Never works.