Prediction: Bills Will Use Cap Space as Trade Piece in 2019

HardyBoy

21 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't see many 1 year deals imo, there are some good OL available next season.... G Rodger Saffold (LAR), G Quinton Spain (TEN), G Michael Person (SF), G Ali Marpet (TAM), C Matt Paradis (DEN), C B.J. Finney RFA (PIT) could all upgrade this roster. maybe a select few would opt for 1 year deals.

Ali Marpet resigned for 55 mil

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, nucci said:

How will this help?

I think the OP is saying the Bills can use their cap space to trade for a player whose current team won’t pay them. In Atlanta Julio Jones made a request for a new deal with three years left. The Falcons moved some money around on his deal to give him a couple million more this year from one of his remaining years. Jones is going to want a new deal before playing next year. Couple that with the fact his production is way down and maybe the Bills could trade for him and offer him a big salary. Jones is also friends with TO. If TO enjoyed his time in Buffalo, maybe he will have a nice thing to say about the Bills. I’m not advocating for it or against it. I think that’s what the OP was eluding too. It is why trades happen in other sports. I could see how it can happen in the NFL. Current team signed a deal they thought was good at the time and now they don’t, for whatever reason. They want cap relief and something in return to sweeten the deal. Bills collecting some 2nd- 4 th round picks for trade capital  would help also.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

2 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

I think OP meant trading for player going into the final year of their contract?   You are then "renting" them for one year.  Then after the season, either resign them or let them leave as UFA.  Much like the Rams did with Watkins.

And the Bills did with Jordan Matthews and EJ Gaines.

I would not  at all be surprised if the Bills actually did something like trading away picks for one year "rentals", especially on offense.  It's exactly the kind of clueless stupidity that McDermott and Beane have demonstrated with their version of "team building" so far:  trading for Benjamin and Coleman and signing and then trading away McCarron (and then adding Anderson).

6 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I don't see many 1 year deals imo, there are some good OL available next season.... G Rodger Saffold (LAR), G Quinton Spain (TEN), G Michael Person (SF), G Ali Marpet (TAM), C Matt Paradis (DEN), C B.J. Finney RFA (PIT) could all upgrade this roster. maybe a select few would opt for 1 year deals.

57 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I doubt it.  We’lol most likely resign those getting close to a new contract like T White, then pay a couple of lineman in free agency.  I have a feeling we’ll go through the draft for WR.

Short term fixes aren't the McBeanes style.  If they trade for a guy in last year of contract they really like , they'll sign him longer term before doing it.  If the guy is a FA, then a short term deal would work as well (but which a top player won't go for).  Either way I think you end up with multiple year deals. 

This team will largely be built with the draft and trying to resign their best FAs , not massive FA deals.   Plus the big name FAs will largely go to the bigger markets assuming the $$ is equal.    WNY is just not an attractive place for a rock star pro athlete, unless he is a Kyle Williams family type guy.   For example , they should extend T White next year , as once his rookie contract is up, his agent will try to get him to leave. 

Edited by ProcessTruster
update

8 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

Will be willing and able to take on high priced one year deals of players in last year of contract.

I can’t imagine why we’d do that.  If those players are performing then they’re staying on their team.  If they’re not, then why do we want them?  Benjamin was only brought on because we were in the hunt for a playoff birth.  I don’t see that being realistic this season. The only scenario where it makes sense is if a player doesn’t fit in a new scheme, but would fit here - and you’re always looking for that.

The one possible exception is Amari Cooper. The cash strapped Raiders might be willing to deal him before giving him his next deal. They’ll be in better shape after moving to Vegas, but he’ll need paid before then. Would he be worth it though?  Dropsies being a problem for him and all. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Don't think there's a big prospect in the draft at WR in this years class. 

True. But there certainly are prospects that can be quality WRs in the NFL. The Bills have to find at least one of them. Two would be better.

18 minutes ago, ALF said:

Too many teams need OL help . Difficult judging college prospects in the spread offense and they need time to develop in the NFL

This has been one of the biggest changes in draft predictability.  OL used to have such a high hit rate, but not now.  They’re such huge projections that’s so far from the case these days. 

Edited by BarleyNY