Does anyone else wonder if Allen is hurt?

29 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

Because it's statistics...  It's not that he can't throw it accurately, it's that he can't do it consistently.  We can say he lacks high repeatability.

Oh, now he's not inaccurate, he's able to be accurate, he's just inconsistent.

Statistics are a tool for data analysis, not an explanation unto themselves.

12 minutes ago, uticaclub said:

This is how he looked in college, we should expect him to do better in the pros in his first year.

Actually one of the drivers for my question is, it was NOT how he looked in college.  In college, as well as during the pre-draft process, he was repeatedly high on the sort of throws he was repeatedly low on in the Tenn. game (short throws on the move).

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Actually one of the drivers for my question is, it was NOT how he looked in college.  In college, as well as during the pre-draft process, he was repeatedly high on the sort of throws he was repeatedly low on in the Tenn. game (short throws on the move).

Inaccurate the same. If your shot is missing the right, you make an adjustment and now your missing to the left. Still not hitting the target 

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

While the game plan on offense yesterday wasn't flashy, it worked. They consistently picked up first downs and moved the ball well on most series'. They simplified things for Allen and leaned on the run, which is what they should be doing game by game.

Given TEN deplorable run defense, the scheme yesterday made sense. It also made more sense from a developmental perspective in limiting the responsibilities of Allen every drive, but it also helped to play with a lead - even if it was only a point difference for most of the game.

The problem with this game plan is that it relies equally, if not more so, on the OL to show up and create run options and lanes. I wonder how much success we would have against defenses strong against the run, as that would determine Allen's load going into each week. Unless we just decide to go with it week in, week out, regardless of whether it works, Allen still needs to develop more than just managing a ground and pound, run first offense. Though this might be the closest he gets to a Mahomes-esque development cycle.

Edited by ctk232

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Young QB's almost always revert to sloppy footwork and mechanics under duress.  Their one consistency is inconsistency.  Better protection and trust in his WR's along with coaching should help.

Edited by BringBackOrton

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fact: all through the draft process, TC and pre-season Allen's Achilles heel has been his inability to throw those short swing passes or dump-offs accurately.  He usually fires them from a cannon and they're high.

Was watching the condensed game in slowmo and couldn't help noticing that many of Allen's completions were low throws.  KB had to go down for his one completion, and our backs and TE did a nice job for the most part adjusting for low throws.  Not horrid low in most cases, but off target low.  At least 2 incompletions, though, were too low for our guys to dig out

Now many of these throws, he was throwing on the run without his feet set.  One possibility is that he's working on those kind of throws and he's over-compensating at present, instead of too high, they're too low.  A bit low is where a QB wants those passes to be vs. high where the receiver might tip them up for an airball and INT - though not quite as low as Allen is placing them.

Another possibility, though: maybe Allen is hurt, and they implemented such a run-heavy game plan (as well as, in rumor, ramping up negotiations for a backup) to hide Allen and give him a chance to heal?   Allen was sacked 7 times last week, plus a bunch more hits and 5 tackles when he ran.

He missed the last 2 games last fall with a sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder and he lost a season in 2015 to a clavicle broken in 7 different places and repaired with a steel plate.  So there is reason for concern.

Argument against the "hurt" might be when he was throwing from the pocket with his feet set, as in the INT to Holmes and the 12 yd pass to Zay, were on the money and had plenty of zip, even at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

I think you're right about the firing balls high. He knows it too. Which is why my thoughts are that he's constantly being coached on mechanics and he has a lot going through his head when he throws and sometimes instead of just naturally letting it fly, he's tripping over himself to throw the "correct" way, which means not floating it and getting these overcorrected balls in the dirt. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think any QB who has made it to the NFL level had the ability to throw an accurate ball, but the ones who can throw consistently accurate balls (see Tom Brady) are the ones who become very good to great.  Allen has NEVER shown the ability to be consistent.  So you may be wowed by one out of every 4 throws he makes, well, that's not going to get it done...

We have statistics from his college career. The more passes he throws in the NFL, the more clear it will become that statistically, he's not consistent enough with his accuracy.  

I can throw a football decent enough to accurately throw it through a swinging tire, but how many times out of 10 can I do that?  Maybe a couple.  The key to NFL QB success, is what is the success/failure rate of those throws.

Edited by PeterDude
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did they over correct him?

17 minutes ago, PeterDude said:

I think any QB who has made it to the NFL level had the ability to throw an accurate ball, but the ones who can throw consistently accurate balls (see Tom Brady) are the ones who become very good to great.  Allen has NEVER shown the ability to be consistent.  So you may be wowed by one out of every 4 throws he makes, well, that's not going to get it done...

We have statistics from his college career. The more passes he throws in the NFL, the more clear it will become that statistically, he's not consistent enough with his accuracy.  

I can throw a football decent enough to accurately throw it through a swinging tire, but how many times out of 10 can I do that?  Maybe a couple.  The key to NFL QB success, is what is the success/failure rate of those throws.

It is interesting that you use Brady as your example as he was equally inaccurate and inconsistent coming out of college.

Here is to hoping that Allen with superior skills can develop that consistency as Brady has.

2 hours ago, PeterDude said:

I don't think Allen is hurt, I think he's inaccurate, like all the pundits said.

Ya whatever!

2 hours ago, PeterDude said:

Because it's statistics...  It's not that he can't throw it accurately, it's that he can't do it consistently.  We can say he lacks high repeatability.

Ya whatever!

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Fact: all through the draft process, TC and pre-season Allen's Achilles heel has been his inability to throw those short swing passes or dump-offs accurately.  He usually fires them from a cannon and they're high.

Was watching the condensed game in slowmo and couldn't help noticing that many of Allen's completions were low throws.  KB had to go down for his one completion, and our backs and TE did a nice job for the most part adjusting for low throws.  Not horrid low in most cases, but off target low.  At least 2 incompletions, though, were too low for our guys to dig out

Now many of these throws, he was throwing on the run without his feet set.  One possibility is that he's working on those kind of throws and he's over-compensating at present, instead of too high, they're too low.  A bit low is where a QB wants those passes to be vs. high where the receiver might tip them up for an airball and INT - though not quite as low as Allen is placing them.

Another possibility, though: maybe Allen is hurt, and they implemented such a run-heavy game plan (as well as, in rumor, ramping up negotiations for a backup) to hide Allen and give him a chance to heal?   Allen was sacked 7 times last week, plus a bunch more hits and 5 tackles when he ran.

He missed the last 2 games last fall with a sprained A/C joint in his throwing shoulder and he lost a season in 2015 to a clavicle broken in 7 different places and repaired with a steel plate.  So there is reason for concern.

Argument against the "hurt" might be when he was throwing from the pocket with his feet set, as in the INT to Holmes and the 12 yd pass to Zay, were on the money and had plenty of zip, even at the end of the game.

Thoughts?

That low throw to KB was particularly disturbing. It was off target in many ways and something that looks like more than just an errant throw. That kind of placement gets receivers hurt and looked unnatural. 

Like they say you can’t coach speed. Can you fix flawed mechanics? 

I had to stop reading he has been inaccurate his entire football life so far he is learning to adjust his footwork and isn’t able to do that while the scheme is to move the pocket...he is getting a lot better he isn’t hurt he is inaccurate and that is the FACT

3 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t buy it. Our first play on offense was a deep ball. Allen still looks like he has a ton of zip on his passes.

He also looked like shades of Steve Young out there juking/running around up to his endzone dive for the TD--he actually had to run almost 30 yards (26 to be exact I believe) on that one. Haven't considered he may be hurt, and I sure hope the Bills don't let him play with something that could turn a lot more serious by being aggravated with more hits, although until a new backup arrives in town, the Bills will move heaven and earth to avoid starting Peterman.