Is Josh Allen just a taller Tyrod Taylor

26 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

For whatever it’s worth, I see it differently.  I think this was a smack down game for the OL and run game.  

I think McDermott challenged Daboll to put the game on the OL and establish a run game, Or Else.

I’m going to be very interested to see what the run blocking looks like when I can slow it down enough on Coach’s Film for me to tease it apart.

I'm not one of the big critics of the OL on this board...........I've felt they have excellent run blocking potential all along and that run blocking could be used to tire and slow a pass rush.......and that's exactly what they did today.

But this was Jauron Ball 101.

Conservative offense and a defense that doesn't allow big plays and gets turnovers.......that 3:1 differential was huge.

All that said.......it took the drop of an easy TD pass by the Titans at the end to keep the Bills from being in a must-score-a-TD situation to win the game at the end.

I was actually hoping TN would score the TD there so we could see Allen play 4 down football and hopefully take an important step in his growth as a passer.

I don't think this game moved the needle forward on his development at all............and while I am no tanker........the most important thing this season is getting Allen better so he can take a HUGE step forward next season.

• Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

all we heard this offseasin is sin is our passing game couldn’t get worse.  Well in a league where offense records are being set, we are barely over 100 yards passing!  

Wins are always nice but other Bills qb would be getting killed for this game.  This is Allen’s 3rd won in 2 years where he passed for under 100 yards.  Isn’t that why we got rid of Tyrod?  

Image result for sober up

• Haha (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, billspro said:

Big Ben went 15-1 with that style of football as a rookie. He is a raw player, playing ball control is a good strategy this year. Allen also made some huge third downs today and seemed to be settling in towards the end of the game. I think he showed some growth today. He definitely doesn’t have a WR he can trust right now. Hopefully Ray Ray can develop into something.

Winning was the most important thing in Big Ben's rookie season.

Not the case here.

Developing Allen is job #1.

Though I have never believed for a minute that McD designed this team to take lumps and get a very high draft pick...........which is what most here seem to believe.

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Winning was the most important thing in Big Ben's rookie season.

Not the case here.

Developing Allen is job #1.

Though I have never believed for a minute that McD designed this team to take lumps and get a very high draft pick...........which is what most here seem to believe.

He needs to learn basic QB play before we go to a more complex throwing offense imo

5 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No coach really tries to lose.  But they have clearly been accumulating assets and contract flexibility for next year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Is Josh Allen just a taller Tyrod Taylor
28 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm not one of the big critics of the OL on this board...........I've felt they have excellent run blocking potential all along and that run blocking could be used to tire and slow a pass rush.......and that's exactly what they did today.

With all respect, potential and lack of potential look the same until potential is realized ?

Their run blocking has been factually awful with occasional glimpses of passable

Like I said, I'm going to be interested to have a look at the all-22

9 minutes ago, billspro said:

He needs to learn basic QB play before we go to a more complex throwing offense imo

How to hand the ball off?

Basic QB play at the NFL level is learning how to read defenses and make throws under pressure.

A lot of this is on McD and Beane for destroying the WR corps.    Need more open WR and guys like Andre Holmes can't be out there to cause turnovers.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan5121 said:

I don’t think anyone can sit here and pretend Allen has been lights out this year, even taking into account he’s a rookie.  But to sit and pretend he has been set up to succeed is foolish as well.  As someone pointed out, Taylor had Watkins, Woods, Goodwin, Hogan, Harvin (for a few weeks), two pro bowlers on the OL (3 if Glenn ever went, I can’t remember), McCoy in his prime.  Quite a difference there.  

And had already been around the block in the NFL many years, and sat/absorbed game behind Flacco, and started multiple seasons for the Bills, that’s why his ceiling was so obvious 

2 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

How to hand the ball off?

Basic QB play at the NFL level is learning how to read defenses and make throws under pressure.

A lot of this is on McD and Beane for destroying the WR corps.    Need more open WR and guys like Andre Holmes can't be out there to cause turnovers.

I would be happy if we kept his attempts around 25. That allows us to establish the running game and lets him use play action effectively. His WRs are terrible and I think it would be bad for his development to go to a complex throwing offense. We can add that in next year after he learns to manage a football game and make clutch throws on third down. I would like to see him developed similar to the way the Steelers developed Big Ben. That is his best chance for success imo. He is a raw QB, keep it simple.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

all we heard this offseasin is sin is our passing game couldn’t get worse.  Well in a league where offense records are being set, we are barely over 100 yards passing!  

Wins are always nice but other Bills qb would be getting killed for this game.  This is Allen’s 3rd won in 2 years where he passed for under 100 yards.  Isn’t that why we got rid of Tyrod?  

Dont we need the season to actually evaluate this?

THere is a chance that our rookie qb could actually get better as the season goes on

1 hour ago, Jpsredemption said:

He couldn't hold Taylors jock.

You are easily one of the worst poster's on this board....you just keep spewing nonsense with every friggen post

• Like (+1) 1

I for one would like to just enjoy the win today. But I've said this since Allens 1st preseason game. Its way too early to make any kind of judgements on what kind of career he's gonna have. Its the same after 1 regular season game, 2 regular season games, 3 regular season games, 4... u get the idea.

Lets give this kid some time to learn whats termed 'the hardest position in all of sports' & wait til he has some more games under his belt.

This issue has been talked to death about but its a huge jump from the Mountain West in college to the NFL. Allen wasn't supposed to be the starter this year, this team wasnt really ready for him. Put some more talent around him & you'll have a clearer idea of what he can do. Until then I suppose we'll just see 100 more threads like this after every weeks game & i'll Facepalm thru 99 of them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

With all respect, potential and lack of potential look the same until potential is realized ?

Their run blocking has been factually awful with occasional glimpses of passable

Like I said, I'm going to be interested to have a look at the all-22

I don't think they did anything different on the OL today....they weren't suddenly blowing huge holes open...... but getting a turnover and an early lead created run game opportunities and the small bites really helped kill clock.

The Bills have no passing game so I'd expect plenty of awful looking days for the OL ahead but the position that needs to be fixed is WR.......not the OL.

Yeah.......better OL would be nice..........but myself and Sal Capaccio are in agreement that what this offense needs is a stud WR target to not only make plays for the young QB but also to move guys like Benjamin and Zay Jones into better matchups.

25 minutes ago, billspro said:

I would be happy if we kept his attempts around 25. That allows us to establish the running game and lets him use play action effectively. His WRs are terrible and I think it would be bad for his development to go to a complex throwing offense. We can add that in next year after he learns to manage a football game and make clutch throws on third down. I would like to see him developed similar to the way the Steelers developed Big Ben. That is his best chance for success imo. He is a raw QB, keep it simple.

I'd like to see low 30's in attempts.........something in between Goff and Wentz.

Goff really had no WR talent in his rookie year either.     It was all acquired the following offseason.

8 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Similar to Tyrod but has a cannon for an arm and is a better runner. 

Oh come on.......Allen is a good runner but NOT a better runner than Tyrod.

Tyrod had some amazing runs and was a terror on RPO under Roman/Lynn.

The fact the thought "Allen is a better runner than Taylor" is even considered truly speaks to my point that people became blind to the plays Taylor made with his legs.    He made A TON.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

?

Yes, because after his presser he mentioned that it is actually pronounced Josh “Aileen”

13 minutes ago, Idandria said:

Similar to Tyrod but has a cannon for an arm and is a better runner. 

Allen also scored twice as high as T Mobile on the wonderlic (Best in his QB draft class) 

We haven't even scratched the surface...

Edited by Figster

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

But this was Jauron Ball 101.

Conservative offense and a defense that doesn't allow big plays and gets turnovers.......that 3:1 differential was huge.

All that said.......it took the drop of an easy TD pass by the Titans at the end to keep the Bills from being in a must-score-a-TD situation to win the game at the end.

I was actually hoping TN would score the TD there so we could see Allen play 4 down football and hopefully take an important step in his growth as a passer.

I don't think this game moved the needle forward on his development at all............and while I am no tanker...…..the most important thing this season is getting Allen better so he can take a HUGE step forward next season.

Making a rookie QB constantly carry the offense on his shoulders with a lousy receiving corps with a line that does not protect well against constant Jailbreaks will not allow this rookie QB to develop properly. Unless you want another JP, Trent Edwards? What it will do is get him killed like it has nearly done in the three losses. 7 sacks by Green Bay, 3 sacks by the Ravens, 5 sacks by the Chargers vs one sack today against Tennessee.

Allen can develop just fine like he did today in that final game winning drive with two throws for first downs. Many had said that this kid wasn't ready to start day one and he clearly wasn't ready. Yet, he was thrown into the fire because Peterman isn't an NFL starter. That doesn't mean you have him sling the ball around like he is Tom Brady who is usually always well protected, on a good offense with good weapons. 

Josh Allen needs more of Jauron Ball... to not only develop properly... but to survive this season on a bad offensive team.