P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

matrix.jpg

Did we not go to the playoffs last year??

Why are so many acting like petulant chlidren??

Last year was used to get our QB, mission accomplished.

This year we're in the process of demolition and restocking this spring, right on track. Let's exercise some patience and let them build a perennial contender and not a flash in the pan.

So were supposed to be patient again after being patient for 18 years?

What gives anyone who is a fan if this team any hope that with all the open cap money we will have, all the draft picks, we will select the right player, or lure the right players in FA?

This regime hasnt shown us that at all. Our coach/gm has shuffled around his defense and has gone after retreads on defense this year, but hasnt even come close to addressing the wr position, and has on countless occasions stated that wr is not a problem.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

This team has been in existence for 58 years. They have had only 13 years in which they have won more than 9 games, only 18 years in which they made the playoffs, and only 9 years in which they won an actual playoff game. If we are honest, in those 58 years, they were truly a championship caliber team in only 5 or 6 of those seasons. I have been a fan of this team since I attended my first game in 1968, so I missed 2-3 of those few championship caliber seasons. My adult son has been a fan of this team since he was a young boy and they have made the playoffs only twice since he has been watching them - and they haven't been a championship caliber team in the entire time he has been watching them.

My son and I are very close. He lives and works in another state and we talk 2-3 times a week. Many of our conversations are about the Bills (and Sabres) and we talk after every Bills game. The Bills have not been very good for most of the years I have followed them, and rarely in the time my son has followed them - and, as fans, we both have experienced our share of frustrations. Yet, they are the source of so many wonderful memories we share and continue to be a positive part of our relationship.

In the end, it is a game. Wins and losses are what ultimately defines a team. What we choose to take away from our experiences defines us as fans. Fortunately, my son and I have found positive ways to balance our love for this team and how it impacts our lives.

Go Bills!

Oh sure just thumb your nose at all of us maladjusted delusional fans ;)

• Haha (+1) 1

I've been hearing "patience" since I became a Bills fan back in '69.   Now I'm wearing a sweatshirt that says, "Just one before I die."  I'm patient.  Bills fans generally are.  I don't know if we need a new thread on patience when we've been living with "There's always next year" for decades.  

But I do generally agree with the OP.  The Bills are the lowest paid team in the NFL this year - and play like it.  Beane, however, has been squirrelling away both cap dollars and draft picks for 2019 and 2020.  If he spends his picks and dollars wisely, the Bills will be good the season after next.  

I don't have any hope of a playoff appearance this year.  To me, 2018 is the preseason to 2019.  I watch to see what I can learn about McD and the coordinators and hopefully see some young players (Allen, Edmunds, etc.) begin to blossom.  Wins and losses are almost secondary.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

I'm all about patience, I don't want to see our "investment" get ruined by this crappy offensive line that don't know how to handle line stunts.

I think he was R-E-L-A-X.

You are correct. Still hate him.

3 hours ago, HamSandwhich said:

Didn't realise McBean and company were here making decisions all of those years! You're right then, get the pitchforks! 

He clearly was not saying that they were. wow!

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

matrix.jpg

Did we not go to the playoffs last year??

Why are so many acting like petulant chlidren??

Last year was used to get our QB, mission accomplished.

This year we're in the process of demolition and restocking this spring, right on track. Let's exercise some patience and let them build a perennial contender and not a flash in the pan.

Yeah they were in the playoffs scored a whopping 3 points. Then proceeded to rip it apart. Not only that but used valuable draft capital on the biggest qb project in the draft.

With the cap space and draft picks available to us in upcoming years...

If Beane's great, the Bills will be competitive next year.

If Beane's good, the Bills will be competitive in 2020.

If Beane sucks, the Bills will begin the Drought Redux.  

2 minutes ago, Chris66 said:

Yeah they were in the playoffs scored a whopping 3 points. Then proceeded to rip it apart. Not only that but used valuable draft capital on the biggest qb project in the draft.

McD is trying to win every Sunday.  That's his job.

But Beane is planning for the future.  He'll have the draft picks and cap space to build a good roster in 2019 and a better one in 2020.  

Allen is indeed a big draft project.  But he'll be ready by then - if he's ever going to be ready.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Homey D. Clown said:

If you were calling out the people who are instantly ripping the coaching staff already, or that Josh Allen isn't good , then I retract my poke at you, and say, carry on my friend.

I'm ripping the coaching staff and saying if Josh Allen doesn't learn to accurately makes throws he is missing now, he will not be good.

I'll be happy to back that up with factual analysis, anywhere, to anyone. 

Call out as you like, but telling me to have patience is not a meaningful rebuttal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

With the cap space and draft picks available to us in upcoming years...

If Beane's great, the Bills will be competitive next year.

If Beane's good, the Bills will be competitive in 2020.

If Beane sucks, the Bills will begin the Drought Redux.  

McD is trying to win every Sunday.  That's his job.

But Beane is planning for the future.  He'll have the draft picks and cap space to build a good roster in 2019 and a better one in 2020.  

Allen is indeed a big draft project.  But he'll be ready by then - if he's ever going to be ready.

Can we please F_(*^ stop with this.

The extra picks are 4th rd + with are hopes and dreams.

The Bills are not the only team with cap space. Just because yo have space doesn't mean you get to go buy a #1 WR off the shelf. One has to be available and has to want to come to Buffalo. AND you have to outbid teams like the Colts, Jets, Browns and Cowboys who all have the same, if not more cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have patience with Allen, contrary to a lot of people on this board. I see huge potential in this kid. Besides that,  the blowouts are disgusting, period. 3 whoopings in 4 games! Bills are ranked LAST in "power rankings". Yes that's too much to take. So call it selective patience, and I'm out of it. I still think people whine way too much. Such as the "fire everyone crowd"," they didn't get Mahomes" (like they were the only ones!), and blablabla. But so much cap space for a guy like Star, not addressing the OLine or WRs, giving Incognito the shaft BEFORE his meltdown (unless they knew otherwise), unoriginal game planning by Daboll, and on and on. Damn.

How much can we take as fans? It's the first time in years I'm losing my passion for the Bills and football. I didn't think the "kneeling" wouldn't affect me, and at first I thought it didn't, but it made the SJW angle and all that crap enter the sport, so yeah it might be the starting point of it all for me - and for many others I suspect. NFL football is like a tribal outlet for many of us, and this stupidity caused a big rift in the imaginary bonds we have with the players. 

Before Losman the Bills lost but were always in it, fierce competitors and all. Since it's been in spurts, and the super lows between the highs are getting to a lot of us. I never consider the Patriots games and such as automatic L like so many people on here. But all these blowouts, the Bills now  being the NFL doormat, that's too much. Can the situation change quickly in the next 2 years with the draft picks and cap space? Absolutely! But it could also remain as bad if the management decisions don't pan out. (Almost) Out of patience. Almost out of hope I guess would be more exact. If not for Allen I'd come back when they are winning again, like the fairweather fans I usually despise.

Edited by Jerome007

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I'm ripping the coaching staff and saying if Josh Allen doesn't learn to accurately makes throws he is missing now, he will not be good.

I'll be happy to back that up with factual analysis, anywhere, to anyone. 

Call out as you like, but telling me to have patience is not a meaningful rebuttal.

Nowhere did I say I want people to have patience.  I simply don't agree with the crucification of a QB or a coach as it happens so quickly around here.

• Like (+1) 1

It's only the second season of this regime that overperformed and snuck into the playoffs last year. Bloated contracts and poor draft picks from previous regimes as well as some bad luck on oline have set us back this season. Next year we have 10 picks and a ton of cap space so expect a huge overhaul on the roster. This year is to get some experience to younger players and try to be competitive. They knew it wasn't going to be a super bowl winning type season from the get go. Next year will really be the determining factor on whether this regime has a clue what they are doing

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It's only the second season of this regime that overperformed and snuck into the playoffs last year. Bloated contracts and poor draft picks from previous regimes as well as some bad luck on oline have set us back this season. Next year we have 10 picks and a ton of cap space so expect a huge overhaul on the roster. This year is to get some experience to younger players and try to be competitive. They knew it wasn't going to be a super bowl winning type season from the get go. Next year will really be the determining factor on whether this regime has a clue what they are doing

True. Same for 2020. But so far it seems we have very low confidence that they will indeed make the  right draft picks and sign the good FAs. It can get better very quickly, but as the Browns have shown with YEARS of being the doormat, it is no guarantee. Most of us are tired of just living on hope. I didn't expect a Superbowl season, but I did't expect the Bills to be the doormat of the NFL either and get blown out 3 games out of 4! Even if the Bills hadn't made the playoffs last year and had been let's say 7-9, you don't expect them to be the worst team of the league the year after! 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Can we please F_(*^ stop with this.

The extra picks are 4th rd + with are hopes and dreams.

The Bills are not the only team with cap space. Just because yo have space doesn't mean you get to go buy a #1 WR off the shelf. One has to be available and has to want to come to Buffalo. AND you have to outbid teams like the Colts, Jets, Browns and Cowboys who all have the same, if not more cap space. 

You're right that we don't have a lot of extra draft picks.  But we do have some draft picks that - hopefully - Beane will utilize well.

But you're comment about cap space - while literally true - is misleading. 

According to over-the-cap, we currently have the 4th most available cap space in 2019 and the #1 most available cap space in 2020.   

We have far more money to spend on FAs going forward than the average NFL franchise.   Next year, we have $85 million in cap space - the average team has $39 million.  That's a significant, meaningful difference.  And the Bills advantage in 2020 is even greater.  

Between our picks and our available cap space, a good GM has the resources to build a good roster by 2020 (if not sooner).  

It's not an accident that the cap future is bright for the Bills.  Beane's talked about it and his intentions are clear.   The only question is will he effectively use his picks and cap money?   That's not clear.  Beane's never been a GM before and we don't know if he has the skill to build a good roster. 

Btw, my suspicion is that Beane will try to draft a #1 WR.  Talented WRs too expensive as FAs.  He'll mostly try to get solid starters - but not overpriced superstars - with the cap dollars.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Edited by hondo in seattle

6 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

What did making the playoffs actually do for us?

You'd think we could build on that that and get better... but we've gone in the opposite direction.

I feel like making the playoffs last year was totally unexpected (realistically) prior to the start of the season given the coaching/regime change and overall significant roster changes. I don't think you can discount the "lift" it gave the fanbase along the way, and I for one about lost it when we finally got in--and yes, I did contribute $17 to Andy Dalton's foundation also, so there's that.? I do feel like it allowed me to better process what we are going through right now, because it established some sorely needed trust, and I don't think that McBeane ever promised non-stop playoffs during the overall rebuild--I doubt they expected to make the playoffs last year either. We've already gone over the cap dead money situation and unexpected roster hits to start this year ad nauseam, so I didn't expect much from this year to start, other than progress with the foundation itself, and at least you can say the cornerstone pieces of the team (Allen, Edmunds) are in place and will hopefully develop now for future sustained success.