P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

Just now, Jerome007 said:

True. Same for 2020. But so far it seems we have very low confidence that they will indeed make the  right draft picks and sign the good FAs. It can better very quickly, but as the Browns have shown with YEARS of being the doormat, it is no guarantee. Most if us are tired of just living on hope. I didn't expect a Superbowl season, but I did't expect the Bills to be the doormat of the NFL either and get blown out 3 games out of 4! Even if the Bills hadn't made the playoffs last year and had been let's say 7-9, you don't expect them to be the worst team of the league the year after! 

It's all about the draft and free agency next year. They appear to be building the defense first added a rookie qb and letting him get experience so that next year when they build the offense around him he'll at least have an idea what to do with them. Not unlike Rams current team. They just have to hit on the picks and free agents next year.

1 minute ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

It's all about the draft and free agency next year. They appear to be building the defense first added a rookie qb and letting him get experience so that next year when they build the offense around him he'll at least have an idea what to do with them. Not unlike Rams current team. They just have to hit on the picks and free agents next year.

Again I agree. But they have no track record for us to be confident they'll make the right choices. Anyway, I sure hope they do. But it's that, hope. And it might have taken me more time than others, and some of you aren't there yet, but all these years of losses, and now these blowouts and being currently the worst team in the league, it's too much. Hopes isn't very high, yet still there to torture us (doh!).

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

matrix.jpg

Did we not go to the playoffs last year??

Why are so many acting like petulant chlidren??

Last year was used to get our QB, mission accomplished.

This year we're in the process of demolition and restocking this spring, right on track. Let's exercise some patience and let them build a perennial contender and not a flash in the pan.

I actually like the direction were heading and thought this year would be a tough go, especially after the retirements of Incognito/Wood. I stated this in another thread that I think we'll know much more about the direction of this team with 80M cap and another plethora of draft capital next season. I totally understand why fans go ballistic hearing next season, I think that's been the theme in Buffalo for so long, "maybe next season" but I really like the HC/GM tandem and feel we have a really good group here, just my ramblings slash opinions.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Jerome007 said:

Again I agree. But they have no track record for us to be confident they'll make the right choices. Anyway, I sure hope they do. But it's that, hope. And it might have taken me more time than others, and some of you aren't there yet, but all these years of losses, and now these blowouts and being currently the worst team in the league, it's too much. Hopes isn't very high, yet still there to torture us (doh!).

I lived through the super bowl losses and watched the music City misshap. However many qbs we've started since Kelly that haven't panned out. Also watched an undermanned bills team squeak into the playoffs last year and beat a few contenders in the process. Watched Josh Allen beat up on what was considered one of the best defenses in the league and cause the biggest upset this millennia. It's gonna be a rough ride this season with high highs and low lows. Tre white and so far edmunds and Allen as well as phillips have all shown to be solid picks so far with still big question marks on Allen and Edmunds. There's reason for hope and needs to be patience Rome wasn't built in a day.I'd rather have a contender for years than a flash in the pan for one season.

This staff better have a great draft and free agency or their days could be numbered. If Allen doesn’t start playing better and they can’t put talent around him then we can start the rebuild process with another regime. 

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

matrix.jpg

Did we not go to the playoffs last year??

Why are so many acting like petulant chlidren??

Last year was used to get our QB, mission accomplished.

This year we're in the process of demolition and restocking this spring, right on track. Let's exercise some patience and let them build a perennial contender and not a flash in the pan.

Lol, they just cant win until they win. If there is something to complain about, it will happen. People always complained how predictable their O was when it would run run pass. 550 would get calls saying its time to stop all the running and pass. NOW people actually call to say they should run more, and get upset they arent running more on 1st and 2nd. In the end neither side is 'right' but moreso it just goes to prove no one will ever be happy.... kinda sad. By and large, Buffalo fans always seemed well educated on the game like they got it. I didnt realize how bad it was until reading GB message boards last week. Its a very smart, evened out fan base with no crazy over reactions after their WASH loss, with non homer suggestions and thoughts rather than the sky is falling and everyone needs to be fired type stuff thats become so prevelant here this past yr or 2. Maybe this place just draws more casual fans now... maybe young fans that dont have experience/patience are becoming more active.. i honestly dont know. This shouldnt be as unbearable as it has become at times though. This everyone needs to be fired all the time stuff and we need to immediately be the best is silly. Thats the thinking thats partly to blame for this mess that was the drought in the 1st place!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're right that we don't have a lot of extra draft picks.  But we do have some draft picks that - hopefully - Beane will utilize well.

But you're comment about cap space - while literally true - is misleading. 

According to over-the-cap, we currently have the 4th most available cap space in 2019 and the #1 most available cap space in 2020.   

We have far more money to spend on FAs going forward than the average NFL franchise.   Next year, we have $85 million in cap space - the average team has $39 million.  That's a significant, meaningful difference.  And the Bills advantage in 2020 is even greater.  

Between our picks and our available cap space, a good GM has the resources to build a good roster by 2020 (if not sooner).  

It's not an accident that the cap future is bright for the Bills.  Beane's talked about it and his intentions are clear.   The only question is will he effectively use his picks and cap money?   That's not clear.  Beane's never been a GM before and we don't know if he has the skill to build a good roster. 

Btw, my suspicion is that Beane will try to draft a #1 WR.  Talented WRs too expensive as FAs.  He'll mostly try to get solid starters - but not overpriced superstars - with the cap dollars.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Overspending on UFA's always works out so well.

Having a crap ton of cap space means you have little talent on the actual roster. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry BB but I've seen enough Fu*kups in Buffalo Bills coaching over the years to know when a team is screwed. This year's offense is bad and will bring down the team. No amount of patience will help. 

The Buffalo Bills offensive line can't run block, can't pass block, they miss blocks, they block the wrong guy, they screw up protections so that a free Blitzer comes and they fail to even acknowledge it, much less pick it up. This is all on coaching! The Bills line coach/run game coordinator stinks!

The Buffalo Bills receiver corps stinks in that they can't get separation, can't get open and are not being used properly to help the rookie QB. 

The Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator stinks! Once the team gets behind in points the offensive game plan goes out the window and the entire offense now rests on the rookie QB to make plays. This has happened in 3 of 4 games so far. The teams best player on offense is LeSean McCoy and he isn't even being used very often. He was getting 4.8 YPC average running against GB and he only had 5 carries. That is just criminally negligent. 

Shady is also the teams best receiver so he should always be an outlet for Allen if he is not running the ball, and yet...NOPE!  

• Like (+1) 1

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E

not around this joint, so good luck with that OP.

I mean didn't you know that some here know more than the coaches and GM? I mean they all have this idea they know how to run a franchise or coach a team yet, where are they?

not working for the nfl but on this board.

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're right that we don't have a lot of extra draft picks.  But we do have some draft picks that - hopefully - Beane will utilize well.

But you're comment about cap space - while literally true - is misleading. 

According to over-the-cap, we currently have the 4th most available cap space in 2019 and the #1 most available cap space in 2020.   

We have far more money to spend on FAs going forward than the average NFL franchise.   Next year, we have $85 million in cap space - the average team has $39 million.  That's a significant, meaningful difference.  And the Bills advantage in 2020 is even greater.  

Between our picks and our available cap space, a good GM has the resources to build a good roster by 2020 (if not sooner).  

It's not an accident that the cap future is bright for the Bills.  Beane's talked about it and his intentions are clear.   The only question is will he effectively use his picks and cap money?   That's not clear.  Beane's never been a GM before and we don't know if he has the skill to build a good roster. 

Btw, my suspicion is that Beane will try to draft a #1 WR.  Talented WRs too expensive as FAs.  He'll mostly try to get solid starters - but not overpriced superstars - with the cap dollars.  

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

I agree with the you about cap space but I am not sure about a WR #1.  If we have a chance to draft  DE Nick Bosa of Ohio State with our #1 do you still think/ want a WR? I'm not knocking your opinion just proposing an alternative.  I keep hearing that Bosa is a top 5, possibly  #1 pick.  If Bosa is there, where ever we pick, is there a WR you would still pick?  Do you have someone in mind that I can watch for?

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

This team has been in existence for 58 years. They have had only 13 years in which they have won more than 9 games, only 18 years in which they made the playoffs, and only 9 years in which they won an actual playoff game. If we are honest, in those 58 years, they were truly a championship caliber team in only 5 or 6 of those seasons. I have been a fan of this team since I attended my first game in 1968, so I missed 2-3 of those few championship caliber seasons. My adult son has been a fan of this team since he was a young boy and they have made the playoffs only twice since he has been watching them - and they haven't been a championship caliber team in the entire time he has been watching them.

My son and I are very close. He lives and works in another state and we talk 2-3 times a week. Many of our conversations are about the Bills (and Sabres) and we talk after every Bills game. The Bills have not been very good for most of the years I have followed them, and rarely in the time my son has followed them - and, as fans, we both have experienced our share of frustrations. Yet, they are the source of so many wonderful memories we share and continue to be a positive part of our relationship.

In the end, it is a game. Wins and losses are what ultimately defines a team. What we choose to take away from our experiences defines us as fans. Fortunately, my son and I have found positive ways to balance our love for this team and how it impacts our lives.

Go Bills!

That post is way too thoughtful, sentimental, and filled with correct perspective for how callus the Bills have made me approach them.

I usually hate stuff like this, but great post.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Nihilarian said:

Sorry BB but I've seen enough Fu*kups in Buffalo Bills coaching over the years to know when a team is screwed. This year's offense is bad and will bring down the team. No amount of patience will help. 

The Buffalo Bills offensive line can't run block, can't pass block, they miss blocks, they block the wrong guy, they screw up protections so that a free Blitzer comes and they fail to even acknowledge it, much less pick it up. This is all on coaching! The Bills line coach/run game coordinator stinks!

The Buffalo Bills receiver corps stinks in that they can't get separation, can't get open and are not being used properly to help the rookie QB. 

The Buffalo Bills offensive coordinator stinks! Once the team gets behind in points the offensive game plan goes out the window and the entire offense now rests on the rookie QB to make plays. This has happened in 3 of 4 games so far. The teams best player on offense is LeSean McCoy and he isn't even being used very often. He was getting 4.8 YPC average running against GB and he only had 5 carries. That is just criminally negligent. 

Shady is also the teams best receiver so he should always be an outlet for Allen if he is not running the ball, and yet...NOPE!  

When he is talking about patience I dont think he is talking about this year.....this offense is not going to get better this year.......next year

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Can we please F_(*^ stop with this.

The extra picks are 4th rd + with are hopes and dreams.

The Bills are not the only team with cap space. Just because yo have space doesn't mean you get to go buy a #1 WR off the shelf. One has to be available and has to want to come to Buffalo. AND you have to outbid teams like the Colts, Jets, Browns and Cowboys who all have the same, if not more cap space. 

but some teams love trading out for those higher rounds ... it costs less 

:)  ;) 

4 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

This team has been in existence for 58 years. They have had only 13 years in which they have won more than 9 games, only 18 years in which they made the playoffs, and only 9 years in which they won an actual playoff game. If we are honest, in those 58 years, they were truly a championship caliber team in only 5 or 6 of those seasons. I have been a fan of this team since I attended my first game in 1968, so I missed 2-3 of those few championship caliber seasons. My adult son has been a fan of this team since he was a young boy and they have made the playoffs only twice since he has been watching them - and they haven't been a championship caliber team in the entire time he has been watching them.

My son and I are very close. He lives and works in another state and we talk 2-3 times a week. Many of our conversations are about the Bills (and Sabres) and we talk after every Bills game. The Bills have not been very good for most of the years I have followed them, and rarely in the time my son has followed them - and, as fans, we both have experienced our share of frustrations. Yet, they are the source of so many wonderful memories we share and continue to be a positive part of our relationship.

In the end, it is a game. Wins and losses are what ultimately defines a team. What we choose to take away from our experiences defines us as fans. Fortunately, my son and I have found positive ways to balance our love for this team and how it impacts our lives.

Go Bills!

I agree wholeheartedly!  Winning is great but there are a lot of wonderful memories that can be enjoyed regardless of winning or losing.  My dad has passed but I still have lots of memories of watching games and talking Bills with him.  You and your son keep enjoying the memories.  In the end that is what really matters!

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

By now, there are at least a million graves occupied by those with who accepted patience and belief in the Bills..

My Dad is 84 and hasn’t missed a single play in the teams history. 

For the record, he doesn’t believe you.

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope your dad lived for more than just a sports team.  Letting a team eat you up emotionally is just not worth it.  There other things to do on an Autumn Sunday if things bother you that much.  I'm thinking about maybe heading down to Letchworth this coming Sunday.  Not because I am afraid of the Bills crapping the bed but because I need more than one dimension in my life.