Ranking of QBs from past 2 drafts

racketmaster

33 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Anyone else feel that Watson has come back down to earth a bit?

This article from The Ringer sums it up nicely:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/28/17913400/week-4-preview-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick

In Houston, Deshaun Watson has started half as many games he did last season. The percentage of plays he’s thrown a touchdown on has dropped from 9.3 percent to 4.7. That speaks to just how unsustainable that mark was—Aaron Rodgers’s career mark is 6.4 percent, the highest of any active player—and of how magical Watson looked a year ago. This time around, almost nothing has gone right for the Texans. They are 0-3, and their only positives are an easy upcoming schedule and the perhaps misguided belief that they must be better than they’ve played. After facing the Colts on Sunday, they’ll play an actually bad Cowboys team and a probably bad Bills team. If they are going to save their season, or if O’Brien is going to save his job (for the time being), it has to start this weekend.

Small sample size warning!  

Edited by The Frankish Reich

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In Houston, Deshaun Watson has started half as many games he did last season. The percentage of plays hes thrown a touchdown on has dropped from 9.3 percent to 4.7. That speaks to just how unsustainable that mark wasAaron Rodgerss career mark is 6.4 percent, the highest of any active playerand of how magical Watson looked a year ago. This time around, almost nothing has gone right for the Texans. They are 0-3, and their only positives are an easy upcoming schedule and the perhaps misguided belief that they must be better than theyve played. After facing the Colts on Sunday, theyll play an actually bad Cowboys team and a probably bad Bills team. If they are going to save their season, or if OBrien is going to save his job (for the time being), it has to start this weekend.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/9/28/17913400/week-4-preview-new-england-patriots-tom-brady-bill-belichick

Yay! We've gone from worst team ever to only "probably bad"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Definitely. And I think we'll see the same with Mahomes as defensive coordinators get more film on him and what Reid is dialing up this season. The pace he's on right now isn't sustainable.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

EJ threw 2 tds and 0 ints and left the field with a lead against NE.  In his second start, he threw for nearly 300 yards in a last minute comeback against the #2 defense in the nfl that year.  

My main point is let things play out.

Right. How quickly we forget. The Rochester D&C hasn't:  https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/09/28/buffalo-bills-minnesota-vikings-big-upsets-improbable-victories/1440818002/

rookie quarterback EJ Manuel, in the first home start of his career, drove the Bills 80 yards in just 1:36 to win the game on his touchdown pass to Stevie Johnson with two seconds left.

That drive came against a defense coordinated by Sean McDermott, against a team that ultimately would win the NFC South with a record of 12-4. But on this day, Manuel looked better than former No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton as he completed 27 of 39 passes for 296 yards and had Bills fans jumping for joy that they’d finally found their franchise quarterback.

“When we hand someone the ball, we expect them to be able to do things like that,” coach Doug Marrone said. “I know it doesn’t happen that way all the time. Our expectation is he’s our quarterback, we expect him to lead us down the field, score and win. I think that if I lowered those expectations, then we probably wouldn’t be sitting here right now happy.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, co_springs_billsfan said:

Yay! We've gone from worst team ever to only "probably bad"

Much better than the "actually bad Cowboys"!

Speaking of which, Prescott has REALLY taken a step back. I think that team around him his rookie year made him look much better than he actually is. 

• Like (+1) 4

28 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

EJ threw 2 tds and 0 ints and left the field with a lead against NE.  In his second start, he threw for nearly 300 yards in a last minute comeback against the #2 defense in the nfl that year.  

My main point is let things play out.

no way can I can compare the failed EJ Manuel to the up and coming Josh Allen. they don't even compare and Allen has shown me much more potential in his first two games then EJ did in his.

stats are stats but to me Allen looks like the real deal and feel no one will have to worry about him ending up in the raiders boneyard...

• Like (+1) 1

This is a really tough ranking to try and do because you have to use different criteria for different QBs.  Trubisky and Watson both have the better part of a season while Rosen has less than a full regular season game on which to make an evaluation.  This makes it even more subjective than the usual top ten list.  I would put Allen below last year's Watson, but he probably played better last Sunday than Watson has played this season.  Darnold's first game was outstanding.  After that, not so much.  Allen's sample size is still pretty small and Rosen's even smaller.

6 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

This is a really tough ranking to try and do because you have to use different criteria for different QBs.  Trubisky and Watson both have the better part of a season while Rosen has less than a full regular season game on which to make an evaluation.  This makes it even more subjective than the usual top ten list.  I would put Allen below last year's Watson, but he probably played better last Sunday than Watson has played this season.  Darnold's first game was outstanding.  After that, not so much.  Allen's sample size is still pretty small and Rosen's even smaller.

Except for the first half in New England week 1 when he was admittedly off Deshaun Watson has played well this season. PFF ranks him in their top 10 QBs and he has been pressured on 49% of his dropbacks. People who think the Bills OL stinks should watch the Texans. It is vomit inducing bad. I think it is a bit of a case of people watching box scores and not snaps who say Watson hasn't been good. Since half time week 1 he has been good on a pretty downright awful team. 

Here is a controversial view too... going back an extra year to include Wentz and Goff.... the first 4 games of 2018 that Goff has played are better than any single 4 game run of Carson Wentz's career. That is not to say Wentz is bad at all. But Jared Goff is not getting enough credit for how well he is playing out there right now. For my money through 4 weeks he is the best Quarterback in the NFL... even better than Mahomes. 

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Nope. Not really. I think he is playing on a terrible team. Their defense is majorly underperforming and their offensive line is for my money the worst in the NFL it makes the Bills line look refined. He sucked the 1st half of week 1. Since then he has played well. The 0-3 is not on him. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm ready to see more of the rest but to me. Trubisky is already off to a rough start. He doesn't look like a qb but more of a athlete trying to make plays.  Rosen is my pick of the 2018's to be a bust  I just dont see what everybody else sees.  I see a slow , below avg arm guy that is built like a chicken

3 hours ago, racketmaster said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000967033/article/qb-index-week-4-ranking-qbs-from-past-two-drafts

Here’s a link to NFL.com’s qb rankings of the quarterbacks from past 2 drafts. At least Allen was ranked ahead of Trubisky and Beathard. 

Personally, I’d go Mahomes (but he has a ridiculous amount of weapons so it is hard to say whether he could carry a team), Mayfield (was very impressive the other night but limited action), and then Allen. 

Watson is nice but seems to have regressed from last year. Never been a big Rosen fan and he has done nothing yet and Darnold was impressive week 1 but has been shaky since. 

Didn't click the link, but Peterman has to be number 1, right?

5 hours ago, ChuckMan08 said:

So Rosen is ranked ahead of Allen based on what?  College is over. Rank them based on what they’ve done in the NFL. Allen easily out ranks Rosen in all categories as of now. 

You realize Rosen hasn't played hardly at all, right?

5 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

In Houston, Deshaun Watson has started half as many games he did last season. The percentage of plays he’s thrown a touchdown on has dropped from 9.3 percent to 4.7. That speaks to just how unsustainable that mark was—Aaron Rodgers’s career mark is 6.4 percent, the highest of any active player—and of how magical Watson looked a year ago. This time around, almost nothing has gone right for the Texans. They are 0-3, and their only positives are an easy upcoming schedule and the perhaps misguided belief that they must be better than they’ve played. After facing the Colts on Sunday, they’ll play an actually bad Cowboys team and a probably bad Bills team. If they are going to save their season, or if O’Brien is going to save his job (for the time being), it has to start this weekend.

Heard on radio today (and again...small sample size) that Watson has never won an NFL game where he has trailed at any point. 

I read the article. It is irrelevant at this point in Allen's career. Completely meaningless. Here's all you need to know.

1. He's on an upward trend.

2. He didn't have bigger numbers in the 2nd half of the last game because there was just no reason to put the ball up with such a huge lead and the defense dominating.

3. His accuracy is still a work in progress, but even that looked better in week.

4. He looked more comfortable and confident in week 3.

5. He made quicker, better decisions in week 3.

Let's just hope this upward trend continues.

• Like (+1) 1