Mike McCarthy calls Allen a 'stud'

The third piece about Zo currently rated top 5 edge rusher, he's such a great story and important part of McD's culture change. For me, he's close to being in the Fred/Kyle Category of respect for Bills players that stand out over the long drought period.  For Zo tho, he marks the transition to glory days to come...

13 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Same as when Tyrod was here, sack don't matter for this kind of QB. They have to chase him. It tires the rush for later in the game. Take sacks, just don't turn it over. Especially if defense is playing well. Aaron Rodgers takes a lot of sacks too.

I'd rather he threw the ball away to avoid the sack but he'll learn (hopefully) 

31 minutes ago, ganesh said:

But he can't escape like Tyrod did.  That was Tyrod's main strength...keeping broken plays alive. I am happy to have a real QB and not the other way around

I disagree with this. He's spun out of pressure, broken sacks, and has kept broken plays alive a lot in the 2.5 games he's played. 

1 hour ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/bills-today-mike-mccarthy-calls-allen-a-stud

c3dp9zqap1uuwswiccph.jpg

Throughout his 25-year professional coaching career, the Green Bay Packers head coach has worked with some of the best passers in NFL history. McCarthy coached Brett Favre to a 4,000-yard season as Green Bay’s quarterbacks coach in 1999.

“I think he’s done some really nice things,” McCarthy said. “I think you have to be excited about when your rookie quarterback wins games.

he’s a stud of an athlete, you can see that in his ability to run.”

I think calling a QB a "stud" is different than a "stud athlete"....

But beyond semantics, Allen is showing flashes of being able to do things we haven't seen since Jimbo. And it's not just his arm, either.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I think he is every bit as effective a runner as Tyrod.

Big man that moves really well. 

Stay healthy … 

I was shocked at how fast he looked on that run to the goalline that he dove on...dude looked way way faster than a 4.73 40 time would lead you to believe

1 hour ago, hemma said:

I think he is every bit as effective a runner as Tyrod.

Big man that moves really well. 

Stay healthy … 

Clearly he’s not as quick and elusive as TT.   But I think hemma said it correctly: he seems to be just effective.  

I would like a bigger sample size but so far I’m encouraged by both his arm and his legs.

47 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I'd rather he threw the ball away to avoid the sack but he'll learn (hopefully) 

He will learn that eventually. Luckily Allen is one of the few QBs in the league where a sack isn't a death sentence for the drive. 3rd and 15 is like a 3rd and 7 for him. It's not ideal but it isn't insurmountable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

But he can't escape like Tyrod did.  That was Tyrod's main strength...keeping broken plays alive. I am happy to have a real QB and not the other way around

That's the thing with Tyrod though, the plays break down because of him holding the ball too long and not throwing receivers open. Hopefully as Allen progresses, throwing receivers open will be a skill he further develops.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

Teams are going to start spying Allen now so he might have more plays in the middle of the field

Yes and Daboll should be planning that , because it opens things up like screens , short passes to the running back out of the backfiled , and the BOMB when Foster learns to catch !!!

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Indeed. I much prefer Josh's style, he is a "real QB", or more accurately, can be a way more complete one, and I love his run selections so far, but Tyrod could escape pressure better than any other QB. Short crisp passes over the middle can take care of at least 50% of these needs to scramble so I'll take Allen there too. Both he and Tyrod don't get hit often running. Allen has not being doing long enough to be sure, but even in preseason, he barely got hit. Tyrod and Allen get their lumps as passers, not as runners. Cam acts as a running back by design, and I don't get it. It must sometimes hurt his throwing arm if nothing else. But not our problem :)

speaking of studs.

Aaron Rodgers' practice absence having ill effects

• By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer

Each week since injuring his knee in the season opener, Aaron Rodgers has sat out practice Wednesday through Friday, taken part Saturday and played Sunday.

The Green Bay Packers starting quarterback missing practice time during the week seems to be having a pervasive effect on the rest of the team.

"He's clearly the guy that probably stirs the drink down there on Hinkle Field," coach Mike McCarthy said, via the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. "He's so competitive. Once again, the quarterback position has to bring that to your program. You cannot grow during the week if your quarterbacks aren't bringing it."

The lack of chemistry between Rodgers and his receivers was evident in last week's loss to the Washington Redskins. The entire offense just seemed a tad off, whether it was the quarterback uncharacteristically missing throws due to his balky knee or miscommunications with the receivers.

The Packers hope the continued missed time doesn't haunt Sunday against a Buffalo Bills defense that just obliterated Green Bay's division rival Minnesota Vikings last week.

• Thank you (+1) 1