Foster Drops Another

billsfan_34

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Atl, I "get" that this is the narrative being circulated.  But let's look at this a bit.

"Goodwin couldn't stay healthy"

In 2016 with the Bills, Goodwin played 15 games and did not otherwise show up on the injury report.

In 2017 with the 49ers, Goodwin played 16 games and showed up as questionable on the injury report 2 weeks.

The Bills could have negotiated to re-sign Woods before he hit FA.  They didn't.   Ditto making him a serious offer.  We chose not to.  He did indicate in interviews he was open to it.  I don't think he was 100% sold on going elsewhere, we just didn't want to pay him like a high to mid level #2.

Watkins had a year left on his rookie deal, plus a 5th year option we passed on, at the point where he was traded.  The question isn't why didn't we re-sign him to a mega-deal, it's with our dearth of wide receivers behind him, why not hang onto him for last season at least?  Just maybe, if we had hung onto him, Boldin might have decided another season catching passes while the #1CB works Sammy might be worthwhile.  Yes, we got a draft pick for Sammy...then we gave one up, plus a higher salary, when we traded for Benjamin.

I don't understand why folks are so unwilling to acknowledge that the Bills had choices.  Their choice was to let Woods and Goodwin walk, trade Sammy while he was still on his rookie deal, and instead sign Boldin, trade for Matthews, sign Holmes, Deonte Thompson, then trade for Benjamin last season; sign and release Kerley and Corey Coleman this season.

I don't think they thought they were gutting their receiver corps by doing that.   I mean, can you imagine it?  What GM talks to the owner and says "well yeah, none of our WR can get open or catch, our offense is struggling, and the ones we let walk are going like gangbusters for new teams but DAMN I saved cap!"  (I believe if you look at the salaries and cap hits of the players they had under contract or could have signed last year, you'll see they didn't save much money, either.  I'm not talking Sammy's big KC payday this year, I'm talking last)

The most logical explanation is that they thought they were signing or trading for equivalent or better WR talent.

They were mistaken.

All GMs hit on some moves, and whiff on others, but why can't we just look at it and say McBeane and company laid an egg here?

I thought Woods Rams deal at that time seemed like what it is - paying him like a solid to upper-eschalon #2 guy

As A Bill Goodwin couldnt stay healthy, what happened in San Fran in 2017 is totally irrelevant to the decisions they made and he was hurt repeatedly in Buffalo, often had to come out of games.

25 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

As A Bill Goodwin couldnt stay healthy, what happened in San Fran in 2017 is totally irrelevant to the decisions they made and he was hurt repeatedly in Buffalo, often had to come out of games.

2016 is relevant

I'm not gonna do your homework and look up the play-by-play and the snap counts for you (hint: results may differ from what you suppose).

The pattern I see:

1) prior to the Olympics in summer 2016, Goodwin was saving his body for winter track training

2) afterwards, he was trying to build an NFL career and he managed to see the field and stay on the field and start trying to be an NFL WR

We had new people in the building who theoretically could have looked at what he'd done recently and evaluated his actual performance against their need.

Now keeping Goodwin or not is NBD.  The problem is the overall pattern of talent evaluation at WR to date.

I kind of notice you pay no mind to the rest of the story I spoke about

22 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

2016 is relevant

I'm not gonna do your homework and look up the play-by-play and the snap counts for you (hint: results may differ from what you suppose).

The pattern I see:

1) prior to the Olympics in summer 2016, Goodwin was saving his body for winter track training

2) afterwards, he was trying to build an NFL career and he managed to see the field and stay on the field and start trying to be an NFL WR

We had new people in the building who theoretically could have looked at what he'd done recently and evaluated his actual performance against their need.

Now keeping Goodwin or not is NBD.  The problem is the overall pattern of talent evaluation at WR to date.

I kind of notice you pay no mind to the rest of the story I spoke about

Well your "notice" was wrong, I read the entire piece, some i agree with, some i dont.   All these points have been brought up ad nauseam and saw zero value added in commenting.  What did you want, a comment on each of your 15? points?

On 9/27/2018 at 5:14 AM, SoTier said:

ROTFLMAO!  Who's fault is that?????   Who didn't want/care that Goodwin or Woods re-signed?  Who drafted Zay Jones?  Who traded away Watkins and traded for Benjamin?  Who traded for Coleman rather than waiting for him to be cut and wasted $3.5 million in dead cap space?  Who collected the rest of the scrubs that make up the Bills WR corps?

If the team keep winning I am wondering what you are going to do with your agenda....

They are REBIULDING

1 hour ago, FearLess Price said:

Lol if sensative fans made a thread everytime, this whole board would be filled with Zay Jones shenanigans 

To my eyes, Zay Jones doing OK so far this year.  He made a couple big boy adjustments to haul in some Allen throws.  He's been open but not targeted at times.

He sucked along with everyone else in the Ravens game, but 3 of 4 since then.

12 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Dan Brandenburg was the best preseason linebacker of all time. There was no stopping him on his way to the qb. He was very fast and even appeared strong. I was SO excited; I thought that we stole him in the draft!!!

In real games he was one of the worst I ever saw.

I believe he once had 4 sacks in a preseason game against Minnesota.    They pummeled the Vikings and then a couple weeks later the Vikings opened the season in Buffalo and stunningly routed the over-confident Bills.

Brandenburg had a crazy vertical leap as well.......like 42".......and had been a spectacular slam dunk competitor.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

To my eyes, Zay Jones doing OK so far this year.  He made a couple big boy adjustments to haul in some Allen throws.  He's been open but not targeted at times.

He sucked along with everyone else in the Ravens game, but 3 of 4 since then.

Shown improvement he has.

• Like (+1) 1