Daboll play calling

Ray Finkel

Agreed. He called a great game today. Made things easier for Allen.

I also think Russell Bodine deserves some credit for the 1st half. It looked like he was helping to call out protections at the line. As I said in the game day thread, I think that’s one of the reasons why this offense has missed E. Wood so much. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I thought Daboll put the kid in good situations early in the game.  

Finally, a good postgame observation. Daboll did great. The TD to Croom was pretty.

You know the OC did a good job when he could sit back and chill for the entire 2nd half basically.

• Like (+1) 2

I have one nitpick and it’s not about the play calling. It’s about clock management. He needs to be in Allen’s ear about taking maximum time off the clock when it suits our purpose. Saw precious little of that in the third quarter. Was much better in the fourth, but we gave the Vikings three minutes of extra time in the third by not milking the clock. Coaches like Belichick manage the clock with leads as early as the first quarter just for comparison sake. 

That said, great job of play calling. Too bad Josh was hurt by some key drops, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

I liked it. Varied plays, passes on 1st downs including long ones, small passes to the flats to Ivory, etc. At last it was creative. And quite obvious more "zip it" plays are what is needed for Josh. Cute plays didn't work. Some of his touch pass play were simply dropped.  I didn't think we can judge if they were too conservative in the 2nd half. If the Vikings had sown life and they had remained like that, sure, blame them. But as they continued to beat themselves, perfect approach IMO.

And think about it: no real running game to speak of and no WRs, again - drops galore and hardly relied on. Hell Benjamin got credited for a catch on what was yet another drop. Yet they scored 27 points! Touchdown reception by a TE and the long pass play was by a running back. The Bills' D won't deliver this field position time and time again, but imagine what that offense can do with a McCoy that gets his yards and some wideouts that finally catch passes!

8 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah the opening drive playcalling was brilliant as was the play design that had Croon wide open for the TD...

Bet he is getting some from the Pegulas daughter tonite...

Agreed, what a great call after I think two screen/wing passes to Ivory that way... what a perfect call

we actually looked like an NFL offense out there today in the first half. in the second we were playing prevent, so not much to be said for that other than that was the smart conservative play.

Edited by Foxx
  • Thank you (+1) 1